“Friendly, accommodating, and welcoming!”
Review of The Buckhorn Inn

The Buckhorn Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Churchville B&B and Inns
Hopewell, Virginia
“Friendly, accommodating, and welcoming!”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

My 3 children and I recently stayed at Buckhorn Inn. I was worried about the whole B & B experience because I have never taken kids to one before but we were made to feel very welcome and my kids now think Buckhorn is the greatest place to stay. The owners, Mr. and Mrs. Yoder, were ready to welcome us when we arrived and made us feel very much at home. There was plenty of private space with a large separate bathroom just for us as well as nice thick towels and even bathrobes and slippers! Our room also had cable tv, a plus for the kids. There was a cozy parlor with a fireplace on the second floor for guests to share. Although the inn had other guests, it was so roomy we almost felt we had the place to ourselves. In the morning we were greeted with a made-to-order breakfast which included eggs fresh from their own farm-raised chickens! I am grateful to the Yoders for putting my worries to rest and allowing my children and me to have a relaxing, memorable experience! My kids are already asking to go back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My friend and I stayed at this charming b&b while touring the area. The hosts were very friendly and helpful. The space was cozy and homelike but didn't have the garish pseudo-victorian feeling of so many b&bs. Also you really feel connected to the past when you stay there; it's so cool that the space has been operating for over 200 years! A historic sleeping spot for a very historic area. i'd love to go back and hope you will go yourself!

Room Tip: The stonewall jackson room was fabulous! Loved the fireplace
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Upstate NY
Reviewed 12 November 2011

My family and I planned a reunion with family that live in the area. Throughout the entire planning process, the hosts, Sylvia and Garlan, were delightful and accomodating! The house is very large and offered a parlor we could gather in and relax with coffee, teas and snacks available all the time. The beds were VERY comfortable!! They wanted our stay to be as comfortable as possible-and it was! The food: OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! Everything was homemade and portions to fit a king! The hosts accommodated ANY time that we wanted to eat breakfast. They were completely flexible in everything we needed. The breakfast menu was delicious, fresh and homemade. Sylvia even stopped to sit and chat with us over the banquet dinner she had prepared for our first reunion night. That is what makes a B&B so special-the personal touch. A warm welcome to start your day, and a hearty breakfast to send you on your way! This was a wonderful stay and I would recommend this Inn to anyone!! We will be back!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank juniebug60
Front Royal, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 2 October 2011

My husband and I found this simply charming home beautiful and friendly. The hosts, Garlan and Sylvia, were geniunely warm and friendly. I felt like I was visiting a family of dear loving relatives. The hosts really made the weekend special and their attitudes reminding us to remember what is important in life. Sylvia's cooking was fantastic. We are still savoring memories of the Yoder family and their historic inn.

Room Tip: Lovely views from all the rooms, and the home has a wrap around balcony with hummingbirds hovering a...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
dc
Reviewed 8 August 2011

From the time we got there we felt unwelcome. The woman working the desk was annoyed at the time of our arrival ( 5:30pm). We were " the people I've been waiting on". No introduction to the place was given. A brief tour that ended in the bedroom we were staying at and the door being closed as I was stepping through the doorway. The bed was comfortable, the A/C was not. You couldn't really tell the difference if it was on or off.

I was looking forward to breakfast. The sign outside said fine dinning. They have a cookbook as you come in with the Buckhorn Inn recipes so I was expecting something grand. I was greatly disappointed when I was brought a plate with three pancakes and two pieces of extremely salty bacon. My girlfriend, the vegetarian, was brought three pancakes. Their syrup wasn't real maple syrup even thought they did have several brands for sale, not to mention the syrup container had cobwebs on it. Their cereal options consisted of generic store brands ( no milk), and they put out a bowl of whole oranges, overly ripe bananas, and apples. Lastly, their coffee tasted like it had been brewed for the fifth time already. My recommendation is to get a room in town and stay far away from this place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank karam a
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Very nice people who own/run the place. But... if you want a hot breakfast on a Sunday, you have to have it by 8:15, or you miss it. Never been to a B and B that you couldn't sleep in a bit and still eat. Everything was comfortable, pretty clean (dead flies in the bathroom cabinets- yuck), and very peaceful. But for the money---- I expected too much I guess.

Room Tip: doesn't really matter what room you get- they are all pretty much the same. Suite is only $5 mo...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Leonardtown, Maryland
Reviewed 8 May 2011

The Buckhorn Inn is a delightful and tasteful blend of old and new. Claw foot tubs, but modern plumbing and flat screen TV's. Original heart pine floors, very fresh paint and a roaring fire add to the inn's warmth and appeal. The host family of this circa 1811 inn is incredibly gracious and accommodating. Their made to order breakfasts include eggs fresh from their own hens. BTW, there is something special about having your drink order taken by a five year old girl. Beautiful drive for a weekend getaway or a bike ride.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Churchville
Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center
Berkeley House Bed & Breakfast
Fort Lewis Lodge
Fort Lewis Lodge
#1 of 1 in Millboro

Been to The Buckhorn Inn? Share your experiences!