“Wonderful place to relax with or without your pooch!!”
Review of Firmstone Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clifton Forge
Firmstone Manor
Reviewed 3 August 2010

My wife and I wanted to visit Douthat State Park and needed a place to stay that would allow us to bring our dog.The Firmstone was perfect , Barbara greeted us at the door and made us feel right at home. We introduced our dogs to each other without any trouble at all. Her dogs are very sweet ,loving,and well behaved . They made Apollo feel welcome for the entire stay. Barbara is a wonderful, generous host with alot of great stories. The house is really cool with alot of history and neat furnishings. Barbara is restoring the home and doing a great job with it. The front porch is amazing with a huge gazebo and a porch swing to relax in.We very much enjoyed everything about our stay and plan on visiting Barbara, China and Snoopa (her dogs) again. If you are planning a trip to the area we would highly recommend paying them a visit. Thanks again for a great weekend in the beautiful Allegheny mountains . Your new friends Scott, Heather, & Apollo.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paws007

Reviewed 16 July 2010

If you have a chance to go to Clifton Forge, VA don't even think about staying anywhere else but The Firmstone Manor. This 3 story 10K sq.ft. manor has been restored to better than it's original beauty with an artisticly talented hand. The rooms, as well as the whole house, are magnificently decorated with 1800's beauty. Every sq. inch has it's own unique look as it has been molded with the loving hands of Barbara. Just as a piece of clay is molded into a fine sculpture by the hands of a artist. You feel like you've gone back in time with the unique period furniture, chandliers, fireplaces, rugs and drapes and much much more. The gourmet breakfast are worth going off your diet... every bite savored and worth the gain. All served to you at your chosen time and place from the formal dining room to the breezy gazebo or in the privacy of your own room. The friendlyness of Barbara made us feel we were leaving behind an old friend. Her service and desire to please left nothing to be desired. We absolutely love Firmstone Manor, and we love Barbara, and cannot begin to tell you just how happy we are that we found them both. You will never regret staying there and will want to come back time and again, just as we will.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank maryjo64
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Although my wife has written a raving review on the Firmstone Manor I felt compelled to write one of my own, from a man's point of view. I travel over 300 days a year for the last twelve years. In my travels I have stayed in some of the finest and not so fine hotels, motels and B&Bs, yet the latter were nice but normally not suitable for business travel. Well this was until I stepped foot onto the property of the Firmstone Manor.

From it's beautiful main driveway to it's interior decor I was in awe. Then I meet Barbara, the owner and immediately felt the warmth of a friend, the perfection of an artist, the care of a very proud and dedicated owner and someone who goes far beyond the high-test expectation and reigns at the top of her game, while continuing to improve perfection.

A two night stay quickly turned into a four night and that was before seeing the incredible room, experiencing the gourmet breakfast, the unbelievable ground and most importantly the new friend that I will make sure to visit for many years to come.

Whether you are in need of piece and quiet, or great conversation, or wish to experience times in history that can only be read within novels, or need to get quietly rest or just a great vacation. Firmstone manor is and will continue to be a the top of a very short list of the best of the best. It is a must for anyone who just happens to be visiting Clifton Forge, VA for business or pleasure. This is also the type of place that one goes out of their way to stay.

Incredible
William Ferroli Ph.D., BMCS USCG (ret)
President Compliance Associates, Inc.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Databoats
Reviewed 4 June 2010

I have stayed at Firmstone Manor many times in the past few years. It is a Victorian masterpiece, all restored by Barbara herself. The rooms are spacious and filled with Victorian details and furniture, all very grand and comfortable. They all have their own bathrooms, and everything is clean. Charlie makes a fantastic full breakfast, the presentation is elegant and the atmosphere is casual and comfortable. The house is huge with lots of lounging areas, both indoors and out. Great big yard with a hammock on the side. If you need to be connected, there is high speed internet, there is a room with a TV and tons of movies to choose from, or you can stay away from all that and be totally disconnected from the world if you choose! There are 2 small dogs that live on the property, I am not a dog person, and I had absolutely no issue with them. They are calm, do not jump and bark, and stay to themselves, unless you want to give them attention! They are usually outside, and they do not go upstairs into the guest rooms.
Barbara and Charlie are full of stories and interesting conversation, and they can tell you all about what to see and do in the area. It is located in a secluded, rural area, very quiet and safe. Towns with restaurants and things to do are 20 minutes away, along a beautiful mountainous drive. You won't find anything like this place, it is unique, comfortable, charming, and quite the treasure in that area!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shireen40
Reviewed 15 November 2009

The house has clearly been lovingly restored with a great eye towards interior design making it a real gem. My 3 dogs were quite happy with the accommodations and were thrilled running around the expansive yard. Breakfast by the way - was phenomenal and I felt like I was Scarlett O'Hara sitting in the dining room.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2009

After a grueling trip to Bridge Day in WV, my sweetheart and I escaped to the middle of the hills in Clifton Forge and found this Inn.
This is a real 10,000 sq. ft. Victorian Mansion from the mid 1800's set on 13 acres and is located in the middle of the majestic Alleghany and Blue Ridge Mountains.
You've got to see this place to believe it. A painstaking rebuild room by room, piece by piece. If you own a home you can appreciate how it "never ends" then you must go see this place. A real art of passion. Google Firmstone Manor, find the web page and look at the pics. Incredible.
Barbara has put more then her heart into the place. She has scraped, painted, sewn and personally scoured the earth for all of the contents. My entire stay there I was entranced with everything, every detail, every book on a coffee table. I can honestly say the entire time I was there was a true escape.
Barbara and Charlie are an eclectic couple providing a gem in the mountains. The Fall colors were gorgeous. The breakfast was great as was the coffee. All meals are served in beautiful historic china, crystal and you will always eat from real silverware over a table cloth. And believe me, everything you see or touch has it's own story.
If you like B&B's then you know it's an adventure. Every owner is different and so are the accommodations. We've found good, not so good but we know we are risking conformity by going the B&B route and to be honest, that's why we do it. It's never the same.
The owner smokes in the back of the house. My girl and I are aggressive non smokers and it didn't bother us for a couple of nights and the presence of smoke was never in our rooms, nor animal dander. The dogs are friendly and do not go in the rooms. My girl is highly allergic and not one sneeze the entire time. Trust me, that's a big deal.
We stayed in the master bedroom. WOW. Like king and queen. And let me say, we've been to a lot of B&B's and they are not always a romantic getaway. Squeaky beds and squeaky floors are not found here. Quite and private. Never a knock, sleep all day.
The surrounding country offers incredible hikes from super easy to aggressively difficult. There is a Hot Springs nearby as well. And if you like back country curvy driving roads, take your pick. The blue ridge parkway is close too.
For the price, it can't be beat. One would spend more at a motel six.
If you are motoring through the area, this is a real treat and in today's economy, a great deal.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GypsyJumper
Reviewed 29 September 2009

If you are a smoker and a pet lover this is true paradise.
Barbara has done beautiful restoration on this large manner but if you are anyone else bring the Claritin.
Barbara's cute rescued dogs have the run of the place and I mean the complete run including jumping and lounging on your private furniture in your bedroom. Carpets are stained thru-out the home but the carpet had been vacuumed . Barbara is a smoker and there is just no good way to escape the stench of nicotine. The other two sneeze inducing issues we faced on our recent visit was the mold especially strong in our bath towels and the feather pillows.
The positive aspects is Barbara would give you the moon and stars if you asked. She is very friendly and I don't think she knew how miserable we were feeling because of the smoke and the mold. The food is excellent you will not go away hungry.
I would recommend this manor to any smoker and pet lover without hesitation.
However I think that it should be stated that this is a smoking establishment and as much as I personally love dogs I think that they should not be permitted in the guest's rooms.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank blessedacresfarm

Been to Firmstone Manor? Share your experiences!