“Wonderful hotel on the water”
Review of River Edge Inn

River Edge Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Colonial Beach
Reviewed 18 September 2013

With views of the water, the boardwalk and beach right out your door and a spectacular sunrise over the Potomac to greet you every morning, River Edge is a real find. I recently stayed here for five weeks on a business trip. River Edge has a nice size outdoor swimming pool - perfect for laps -- and an excellent, responsive staff. The hotel is clean and well-managed. The family who bought the hotel takes great care to please guests and make them feel welcome. Thank you Anita for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Hola!

We live in N. Stafford and love our little get away for the weekend! Great river views...from the outside...The hotel sits a strange way...Excellent pool (0nly pool at a hotel in CB) and the room has a fridge and microwave. Beds are comfortable...bring your own pillows ...The AC is delightful and they serve a nice continental breakfast for the AM from 6-10 AM...

Just steps from the Riverboat Casino...Great fun! Keno horse racing for gambling, great seafood if you look for it....The Riverboat has good drinks and appetizers...wouldn't suggest the dinners...lots of fried stuff...GO to the Tides down the beach for the best food and drinks and music on the beach at lunch or dinner on the weekends...Bands play at the Tides on the weekends and you can hear them from the hotel all the way down the beach...The Tides have a Tiki bar with real sand under your feet for you to dance to...We enjoyed Kashmir...a Led Zeppelin cover band...Amazing!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was planning a quick end of the year beach trip for my family. My two year old had never been to a beach and lets say this was a great place to take him. The beach was crowded with families of all ages and it was so peaceful and beautiful. The staff was amazing, so courtesy, and personnal. They made my little guy feel special!! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We were having a surprise birthday party for my Mother-in-law and decided to stay here. I had never stayed before but had not heard good things about it previously. The new management has definitely made some improvements. The rooms were updated and clean and the office personnel made us feel very welcome. If there was anything we needed, all we had to do was ask and we had it. My daughter who is kind of picky said she would even visit again. I think we have found a new place for a quick getaway that is not too far from home. I would reccommend it to friends.

Room Tip: We were on the back side where there was plenty of parking and it was close to the pool.
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I was searching for a simple, end-of-summer getaway for my husband, toddler, and I that wasn't too far away from our home in Northern VA. Colonial Beach seemed to check off all the boxes, and when I saw that the River Edge was a former rundown chain hotel that is now under new management, I decided to give it a shot (I love supporting small businesses). We were not disappointed! The new owner runs a tight ship, with neat, cozy rooms, and excellent service.

We brought our toddler's little blow-up bed, and didn't realize until we arrived that it had some holes in it. For an additional $11, the staff promptly brought us a cot and allowed us to put the mattress on the floor for her.

Breakfast was not fancy, but provided several options to tide us over before sampling local restaurants for lunch and dinner (Fat Freda's, The Tides, and Dockside were all on the top of our list). I enjoyed taking my bagel outside and eating it at the tables that faced the river for a beautiful morning view.

The location also could not be beat. A five minute walk down the boardwalk (which is really more of a wide paved sidewalk) brought us to shops, restaurants/food stands, the municipal pier, and prime beach spots. There is a beach directly in front of the hotel, but it is pebbly and not as comfy to sit on if you don't have chairs with you.

All in all, we were very satisfied with both the River Edge Inn and the hidden gem of Colonial Beach, and we will be back!

Room Tip: The bottom floor provides for the easiest loading and unloading, since there is no elevator, and als...
1  Thank travelbug_wife
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Took my wife to the River Edge Inn for a quick anniversary trip to Colonial Beach. We read that the "Old Days Inn" had new owners that had done alot with the property so we were excited to check it out. We were certainly not disappointed! The staff was great and the improvements were obvious. The inside of the hotel and the rooms had fresh paint and carpet, new linens on the beds (no more nasty bedspread...Anthony from Hotel Impossible would be proud!), and a new flatscreen TV. The rooms were very clean and more than adequate for our stay. The new owners have turned a run down chain hotel into a nice little family run property. There are still some areas outside like the stairways they haven't worked on yet, but I'm sure that paint job is on their future "to do list"...but I'm not staying or sleeping on the stairs so no worries! The breakfast was good and the hospitality of the staff makes all the difference. We'll definitely make this a regular getaway for us to enjoy "small town beach" of Colonial Beach. These folks have put some heart into this property and they deserve to reap some business for their hard work. We'll be back for sure!

Room Tip: If you don't need an elevator (they don't have one) we recommend the 2nd floor as these room...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelinManEasternUS
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The waterfront location of this hotel makes it a great weekend getaway for kayaking and stand up paddleboarding on the Potomac.
This hotel and its direct water access seemed to be the best part of the boardwalk in Colonial Beach.
Hotel has been remodeled since new owners took over and the rooms and furniture have all been updated.
Continental breakfast each morning was complimentary and had plenty of options.
Staff was wonderful and extremely friendly. Jackie in housekeeping was so friendly each morning and a pleasure to chit chat with. The owner's daughter at the front desk was also very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Staying on the main floor makes it easy to unload luggage since you're parking right in front of...
1  Thank danimarie02
#1 of 8 in Colonial Beach
Washington & Lee Motel
Washington & Lee Motel
#1 of 1 in Montross

Been to River Edge Inn? Share your experiences!