Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights
US$238
US$214
Econo Lodge(Colonial Heights)
US$50
Comfort Suites Southpark(Colonial Heights)
US$151
US$44
US$43
Hotels.com
US$46
All reviewsrailroad tracksextended staystaff was extremely helpfulnice hotelcomfortable bedsmicrowavehousekeeping
Reviewed 17 December 2011

This hotel was very clean and even smelled brand new, even though the occupancy permit on the wall was from 2009. The train is pretty loud because there is an at-grade crossing right next to the hotel and the train blows its horn as it passes. I am a pretty heavy sleeper but heard at least two trains pass through the night. As posted in other reviews, the hotel does provide earplugs along with a memo stating "Sorry about the train."

Room Tip: The railroad tracks are on the back side of the building, so hopefully a room on the front side wouldn't be as loud.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I only stayed here one night but plan on returning. I was originally concerned because I had read the other reviews regarding the train waking me up in the middle of the night. Yes, this hotel is right in front of very busy train tracks. when checking in I told the clerk my concerns, she said she would put me in the front of the hotel to minimize the noise. I did notice the sound of the train occassionally but not enough to keep me awake or disturb me. Beds were so comfortable. Room was very clean and upgraded, granite coutertops, nice appliances, great LCD tv, etc. I used they gym twice - nice equipment, etc. The laundry facility was a bonus. Lots of machines and front loaders for free! All in all, great stay and nice place. I will still here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2011

The backside of the hotel is next to the train tracks and you will have ear plugs in your room.

However, the rooms are clean and I love the kitchenette and the free washer/dryers.

The maids are great and deserve five stars but their services are geared towards extended stay customers.

The location is easy to access off I-95 but the train is horrible which hurts my location rating.

The price comparable to other hotels so do you want a free breakfast (do not stay here) or a free washer/dryer and kitchenette?

I have stayed here in 2009 and I have noticed that the pillows are older now and should be replaced but the mattresses are wonderful. I would stay here again especially if I need to do laundry for free.

I have stayed here before with my dog, an OLD yellow labrador retriever and they were at least nice enough to give me a ground floor room but the hotel has gone down and if you can't sleep through a train whistle, don't stay here. However, I will probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms are farther from the train
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night. We chose this hotel because it has a kitchen, which when you are on a road trip allows you to eat healthily. It is also part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group chain, and they have a sterling reputation for quality.

Our stay had an unfixable problem, and a fixable problem.

This hotel has rooms facing an active train track and rooms that do not face the train tracks. Our room faced the train tracks. We arrived at night, so I discovered this fact when I read the welcome letter which begins "We are sorry for the train...here are a set of ear plugs." (see photo)

I looked outside our window to see a huge bright white light - one of those parking lot lights perched right outside our window (see photo). For that, there was a set of heavy blackout curtains. The message is obvious: to fall to sleep, you must mask both your hearing and your vision. Clearly, both of these are unsolvable problems.

On top of this, the refrigerator was making horrendous noise, and at midnight were moved to another room. Presumably, this was a one-off problem, and the hotel handled it adequately although the maintenance person was a grump.

Front desk staff was efficient and friendly.

The unsolvable problem of the noise and the light (plugs and drapes are not solutions, they are stop-gaps) make this place a hotel to avoid.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Candlewood Suites, the service was excellent, guest check in excellent, all employee were courteous. The breakfast bar was the best we have ever had. Excellent value. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay comfortable and pleasant.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business