“Train Depot?”

Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights
Haverhill, Massachusetts
“Train Depot?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

I wish I would have read the reviews before booking. Got to the hotel (looked nice), room was very nice, but then I saw a letter on the desk and on top of that was a plastic bag containing two ear plugs. The letter basically said they apologize for the train. I thought, oh boy, this should be interesting. I looked out my window and there were train track about 300 feet from the hotel. One train or two trains would have been ok. Ha! I was there 16 hours and counted 15 trains in that time. I was woken up by them several times during the night. Made my business meeting the next day interesting. I don't care if you put a Ritz Carlton on this site, it still won't make up for these trains. NEVER AGAIN! Priority hotels should be ashamed. They should fire the people who decided to build this here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

I choose to stay here over the cheaper "value" hotels because I was hoping for a better experience. WRONG! When I checked in it took a few minutes for the front desk to wake up enough to help me. I had reserved a double room non smoking. When we got to the room it was one of the worst smelling smoke rooms I had ever encountered. Called front desk to which he scoffed and said "....yes" and when I explained the issue he said that's all we have. This is after I saigned the form that I would not smoke in the room? Bed was horribly made and sheets were obviously not clean. Bathroom was filthy. So much for spending twice as much and getting a cleaner and better experience. Oh yeah the trains! Holy cow. Should have read reviews and planned ahead. Oh well this is on the never again list.

• Stayed August 2012

Travellers are raving about these Colonial Heights hotels

Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I spent 2 weeks (3-14-12 to 4-2-12) in a two bed suite at this hotel and was very happy. I had some trepidation about staying here because of the train that runs next to the back property line. However, our room was in the front of the hotel, and I never heard the train while in our room and I am a light sleeper. The hotel is clean and rooms have full kitchens with granite countertops (Microwave, Cook top, and Dishwasher). The beds are WONDERFUL! Bathroom has great water pressure, but skinny tubs. There are grills and a covered eating area in the back. Our room had a free DVD player so we were able to go to Redbox and enjoy a movie. Also the front desk has some free DVD's that they loan out. Wireless internet is free; they also have 2 computers downstairs for use and a workout area with good cardio equipment and some weight equipment. Downtown Richmond is 20-30 minutes away. Easy access to VA Beach, Yorktown, WIlliamsburg,etc. Fort Lee and Southpark shopping mall are 5 miles away. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that face the front on the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank UtopiaSearch
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

I only stayed one night due to being involved in a car accident but it is exceptional. The desk manager was so helpful and considerate with the family's situation -- beyond my expectations. The room and bath was very clean and comfortable. Full size fridge. I would plan to stay here again when traveling.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

Clean hotel, stayed here while visiting family for the holidays. Spacious room, full fridge and lots of cable channels. We were on the back side of the hotel, so we did hear trains (twice). Staff was nice and check in/out was a breeze. I don't use feather pillows but the front desk has other options available. As far as the other two hotels nearby (Interstate Inn and an EconoLodge), this is clearly the best option.

Room Tip: We had an odd # room and it was near the train track.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

This hotel was very clean and even smelled brand new, even though the occupancy permit on the wall was from 2009. The train is pretty loud because there is an at-grade crossing right next to the hotel and the train blows its horn as it passes. I am a pretty heavy sleeper but heard at least two trains pass through the night. As posted in other reviews, the hotel does provide earplugs along with a memo stating "Sorry about the train."

Room Tip: The railroad tracks are on the back side of the building, so hopefully a room on the front side woul...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

I only stayed here one night but plan on returning. I was originally concerned because I had read the other reviews regarding the train waking me up in the middle of the night. Yes, this hotel is right in front of very busy train tracks. when checking in I told the clerk my concerns, she said she would put me in the front of the hotel to minimize the noise. I did notice the sound of the train occassionally but not enough to keep me awake or disturb me. Beds were so comfortable. Room was very clean and upgraded, granite coutertops, nice appliances, great LCD tv, etc. I used they gym twice - nice equipment, etc. The laundry facility was a bonus. Lots of machines and front loaders for free! All in all, great stay and nice place. I will still here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business