“Great for dogs”

Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights
Reviewed 6 December 2013

If you're looking for some place fancy or you're particular about your hotels, this place is not for you. However, if you're easy going about your hotels, the only real thing that's wrong with this place is its proximity to a busy rail line.

The pluses?

- AWESOME for dogs. The hotel is very dog friendly, has plenty of exits for emergency bathroom breaks, big rooms with plenty space for a crate/pet, proximity to a big open field for off-leash exercise, a pet-friendly staff, and very reasonable pet fees. The rooms are well insulated so even when my dog was yelping and crying, I could BARELY hear it from the hallway. Trust me... I checked.
-Reasonable rates. This hotel was about the same price as gross hotels like Super 8, and $30/night cheaper than other area hotels of comparable quality. The government rate is really low.
-Proximity to the expressway. The highway is only a couple minutes away; far enough to not cause noise but close enough not to get lost
-Big rooms. For the price, the rooms are comfortable and large and perfectly adequate. Each room has a kitchen and a big bathroom with plenty of space to stretch out, especially if you'll be in your room for more than a night or two.

I'm active duty military so I've slept in worse conditions... but even among hotels, Candlewood was a solid 2.5-3 stars. They get an extra star for being awesome for traveling with pets.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side of the hotel are away from the train tracks and might be a little quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Navia Q, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Brandon B,

I would like to thank you for your review of our hotel. We are thrilled that you found our hotel to be a great value and that you and your dog were able to comfortably enjoy your time spent here. We want our guests to consider us their home away from home, so thank you for pointing out all the ways we make your travel experience less stressful. I hope you will come back and see us soon.

Navia Quan

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I couldn't ever imagine staying anywhere else now that I stayed here. It was home away from home. Most pleasant and helpful people ever. Very aafe location and I never even noticed the trains. It was a very nice place to relax after a long day out and about!!! Thank you everyone who I had the pleasure of talking to there!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
Navia Q, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear VirginiaForbes,

I would like to thank you for your 5-star review of our hotel. Our team is thrilled that you enjoyed your stay so much. Our amenities are designed to provide our guests with all the comforts from home, so I am glad that you found us to be well-suited for all your needs. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 28 July 2013

This Hotel is a very nice place to stay. Very comfortable rooms. Very helpful staff. Great value. Close to highway and grocery store about 5 minutes away. Definitely plan to stay here again and will recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Navia Q, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel. We are pleased that you had such a great stay here with us in Colonial Heights. It is important to us that guests feel comfortable and find the value in staying with us, so thank you for recognizing all that we do to keep you happy. We hope to see you and your family soon!

Navia Quan

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Clean and convenient but nothing special. Close to I 95. No breakfast of any kind. Prices are reasonable. At checkout the clerk had to call come one to get the printer to print a receipt. I would look around before settling on this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear BusdriverPhil,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 24 August 2012

I wish I would have read the reviews before booking. Got to the hotel (looked nice), room was very nice, but then I saw a letter on the desk and on top of that was a plastic bag containing two ear plugs. The letter basically said they apologize for the train. I thought, oh boy, this should be interesting. I looked out my window and there were train track about 300 feet from the hotel. One train or two trains would have been ok. Ha! I was there 16 hours and counted 15 trains in that time. I was woken up by them several times during the night. Made my business meeting the next day interesting. I don't care if you put a Ritz Carlton on this site, it still won't make up for these trains. NEVER AGAIN! Priority hotels should be ashamed. They should fire the people who decided to build this here.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I choose to stay here over the cheaper "value" hotels because I was hoping for a better experience. WRONG! When I checked in it took a few minutes for the front desk to wake up enough to help me. I had reserved a double room non smoking. When we got to the room it was one of the worst smelling smoke rooms I had ever encountered. Called front desk to which he scoffed and said "....yes" and when I explained the issue he said that's all we have. This is after I saigned the form that I would not smoke in the room? Bed was horribly made and sheets were obviously not clean. Bathroom was filthy. So much for spending twice as much and getting a cleaner and better experience. Oh yeah the trains! Holy cow. Should have read reviews and planned ahead. Oh well this is on the never again list.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I spent 2 weeks (3-14-12 to 4-2-12) in a two bed suite at this hotel and was very happy. I had some trepidation about staying here because of the train that runs next to the back property line. However, our room was in the front of the hotel, and I never heard the train while in our room and I am a light sleeper. The hotel is clean and rooms have full kitchens with granite countertops (Microwave, Cook top, and Dishwasher). The beds are WONDERFUL! Bathroom has great water pressure, but skinny tubs. There are grills and a covered eating area in the back. Our room had a free DVD player so we were able to go to Redbox and enjoy a movie. Also the front desk has some free DVD's that they loan out. Wireless internet is free; they also have 2 computers downstairs for use and a workout area with good cardio equipment and some weight equipment. Downtown Richmond is 20-30 minutes away. Easy access to VA Beach, Yorktown, WIlliamsburg,etc. Fort Lee and Southpark shopping mall are 5 miles away. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that face the front on the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank UtopiaSearch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colonial Heights
Comfort Suites Southpark
Comfort Suites Southpark
#3 of 8 in Colonial Heights
Comfort Inn South Chesterfield - Colonial Heights
Comfort Inn South Chesterfield -...
#4 of 8 in Colonial Heights
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond South/Southpark
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond South...
#1 of 8 in Colonial Heights
Hampton Inn Petersburg-Southpark Mall
Hampton Inn Petersburg-Southpark...
#2 of 8 in Colonial Heights
Country Inn & Suites Chester
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Petersburg

Been to Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights? Share your experiences!