“Nice and quiet”

Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights
Albany, New York
“Nice and quiet”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I just made a 2 day drive from the Tampa, Florida area to upstate NY and decided to spend the night just over half way. After an internet search I found the Candlewood Suites, and their prices seemed to be the best around this region and it appeared to be a nice hotel.

We arrived around 3 am and all was quiet around the hotel, except for when we were getting our luggage out of the car and a train whizzed by with the horn blaring. Sounded like it was also in the parking lot. The front desk person was chipper and helpful, even at 3 am!

The room was nice, clean and comfortable. Didn't hear another sound inside or out during our short night stay.

The only thing missing was there was no breakfast served here. So, even though the breakfast served in other hotels is not always very wonderful...it is something to take the edge off before hitting the road again. So...the Candlewood was OK, but price was, compared to similar hotels, that do serve a breakfast, included in the room price, it would not be at the top of my list in the comparable hotel range.

Room Tip: Elevator seemed pretty slow so this might be an issue when the hotel is packed.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear igolfnbird,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We are pleased to see you enjoyed your time at the hotel, and look forward to serving you in the future.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This hotel is literally less than 30 yards from a high-traffic train track. A train goes by (loudly pulling their horn) about every 30-45 minutes. On Saturdays, sometimes it is every 15 minutes. I am here for military, so this review is based on several weeks of my stay here.
The train comes and goes ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT. If you have to stay here, ask for a room on the North side of the building; you may be able to escape it.

The elevator consistently smells like a skunk that smoked a carton of cigarettes while carrying a load of garbage. I don't know why, but it has every day and every night smelled this way. I have to cover my nose with my shirt collar when I am riding up and down the elevator.

If you are still deciding to stay here because of the kitchenette (which is the only reason I could imagine you would), ask for the top floor. These floors and walls are so thin you can hear the pitch in peoples' voices during conversation and a person walking across their room sounds like steel boots doing the River dance above you.

Other than these three things, the Candlewood is a decent hotel. Not the cleanest, but the staff is a hit or miss when it comes to friendliness, the convenience store downstairs is nice (and pricey) and the TWO washers that are available (yes, only two) actually work and are free.

If you have a choice to stay somewhere else, I would suggest it, but if you do the following:

ask for a North side room
ask for a 3rd floor room

you should have a good stay.

Room Tip: There is no pool, no restaurants close by for breakfast (except McDonalds) but interstate 95 is righ...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear greesemuunkie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the noise levels prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Colonial Heights hotels

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed in the Candlewood Suites Hotel in Colonial Heights, VA for 2 nights. We found the location to be very convenient right off the 95 to get to and from Richmond attractions but most importantly Ft Lee. The room was clean and was spacious. Even though we stayed in a nonsmoking room it had a smoke smell to the room...a little disappointing. When we asked to change rooms we were told they were booked. There was no breakfast provided. But overall we found the hotel be a very good value.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Waterbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed one night, last minute with a pet. Service was friendly and the room was comfortable and clean. The only criticism was as this is a pet friendly hotel, they could maintain the outside areas better and add a pet waste bag station.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Morrisville, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed for one night on December 19. It was a steal through the hotel chain's bonus points system. I read about the trains through reviews here first, and I did get a room on the train side of the building. A few trains passed by, but they were not enough to bother me. I was particularly impressed with the courteous and helpful staff at my check-in and departure. (I wish I could remember their names--a man on the night shift and a woman the next morning.) I'd stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat. The location near the interstate was good for breaking up a trip between the Raleigh and DC metro areas. The only thing I'd mention as a warning is that the exit ramp and turns to Woods Edge Rd. on NORTHBOUND 95 were a little confusing at night.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Navia Q, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear "phm3",

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and plan to return. It is our goal for guests to find value in staying with us for one night or even one month. I'm happy to see that we delivered. We look forward to seeing you again on your next road trip. Safe travels!

Navia Quan
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed 12/31. Location is off the beaten path with little within several miles. To get to a restaurant you must get back on the freeway and go to the next exit. However, there is a McDonalds and Subway at a gas station within walking distance. A train runs immediately behind the hotel although we did not hear it overnight. Be sure to get a room facing the front of the hotel.

Check in was smooth and friendly. The single elevator worked well and our room was fine. Carpets in the room and hallway were clean and unstained. The room was typical Candlewood style with full size stove, fridge and microwave. Walls were clean and bright. Everything was fine in the room.

Sheets were clean and the bed was comfortable. HVAC is electronically controlled and worked well. The shower had good water flow and plenty of hot water. All plumbing worked well.

Not a bad place to spend a night.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Navia Q, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear "Jerry C",

Thank you for reviewing your stay at our hotel. I am pleased that you found your room to be up to your standards and that your stay was an enjoyable one. One way to get to restaurants is to hop on the highway and drive two exits up, or one exit down, but another way is to use Route 1 which is the opposite direction. There are lots of restaurants, grocery stores, and other places of business within a mile of the hotel if you go that route. When you come back to see us, we'll be sure to point you in the right direction. Thanks, and have a happy new year!

Navia Quan, DOS
Colonial Heights, Virginia
Reviewed 18 December 2013

My home was damaged suddenly by a storm 6/13/13. I found myself unable to live in my home, and temporary housing was arranged by my insurance through a group called ALE. I had no idea how long I would be in the hotel, or what I would need - and I had an old cat that I needed to care for. Candlewood Suites was the perfect arrangement. My room was a nice size and comfortable, I had a kitchenette area, a safe for storing checks, etc., and well lit and safe parking. I ended up staying 5 1/2 months, and during that time I had no complaints. If there was anything I needed, the front desk staff would help - and they were all friendly. During the summer months, I could barbecue on the grill outside in a covered pavilion. Next door was a gas station, with some food items, and a McDonalds. I recommend this location for short or long stays. There was no pool or restaurant, but everything was close by - including access to I95.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front as they are quieter. A train track is at the back of the motel, and can...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Navia Q, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear "JW",

I would like to thank you for your glowing review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear about the unfortunate circumstances that brought you to us, but I am glad that we were able to provide a comfortable place for you and your cat. Insurance companies like ALE do tend to prefer our hotel to accommodate their displaced insured clients because we offer a space that is designed to feel like home. It's a great option for an extended stay. We welcome the whole family, including your beloved pets. It sounds like you took full advantage of the amenities we have and I'm glad we made you feel so welcome. We wish you all the best!

Navia Quan, DOS