Magnuson Hotel Mountain View
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Budget Inn Motel(Covington)
View Hotel
The Omni Homestead Resort(Hot Springs)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
The Greenbrier(White Sulphur Springs)
Roseloe Motel(Hot Springs)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 March 2014

My husband and I first stayed at the Mountain View some time ago. My memories of the place were positive--nice views, conveniently located off I-64, clean rooms--so I stopped there again recently when it became too windy and dark to travel farther. I walked into the lobby accompanied by my service dog instead of my husband this time. Some establishments have looked askance at first when confronted with a service dog, but that wasn't the case with the Mountain View receptionist--she was very welcoming, asking just the necessary questions to establish that my dog was indeed a service dog and not a pet.

We found the room to be very clean, the thermostat working properly--amazing how often the heat and air conditioning controls fail to work in even the presumably best hotels--the water pressure good, the complimentary breakfast just what I'd eat at home (eggs, bacon, and wheat toast), and the restaurant food decent. I still find the motel satisfying.

I did not discern the smell that other reviewers reported, but one unfortunate problem is the truck establishment next door to Mountain View. Come 4:00 a.m., the beeps from trucks in reverse begin to intrude in one's dreams. A few beeps later, one is wide awake. I'm usually a very sound sleeper, but I found the trucks' beeps to be annoying and almost impossible to sleep through. As I said, unfortunate.

Despite the truck beeps, I'll stay at Mountain View again if I find myself in the region. I'll bring earplugs, though.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away as possible from the trucking business.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank DDV-Alexandria
CovingtonLodging, Public Relations Manager at Magnuson Hotel Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you for such great compliments of our hotel! We love animals here at Best Western Mountain View and welcome them just as we would you! We have taken note of the VDOT facility behind us and are working to ensure that guests are not placed near there during winter weather!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

First, let me say the room itself was very nice, clean and comfortable. The reservation desk hotel staff were very friendly and engaging. Our disappoint came when ordering from the complimentary breakfast selections. Wanted to order based on low calorie and healthy selections. First, when asking what the cereal selections were...was told "I don't know, I'll have to check". Second, when asking for skim milk, was told, "we don't have any", then I asked for 2% and was told "we don't have any", then finally told they only had whole milk. Third, when asking for fruit selections, was told "we only offer canned fruit cocktail". REALLY??? I finally chose scrambled eggs, toast and bacon. The bacon had to be days old, as it had that old grease smell, but the flavor was o.k., so I ate it. I developed indigestion so bad, we had to go purchase antacids and it took me several hours before I felt better. This hotel needs to offer better choices for those who want healthier diets and definitely fresh food fruits. The waitress could have offered better information up front instead of me having to pull the information from her. We chose not to use our breakfast coupon the next morning. Other than our breakfast, our stay was pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
CovingtonLodging, Front Office Manager at Magnuson Hotel Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Feb2014trip.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on you previous stay here at our hotel! I am pleased that you found our guest rooms in good condition! I am sorry that you had issues with the restaurant and the staff working during your visit and will address this with the Restaurant Manager! I understand your need and wanting to eat healthier and this should and will be addressed! I hope that on your next visit through Covington, that you will visit our establishment again.

Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Service was great and rooms were very clean. Met the owner and he was very hospitable to our family in a tough time due to family death. I would not hesitate to stay there if I or family were coming to this town again. Full breakfast was wonderful

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank louisvilleLaGrange

Thank you so much for your compliments to our hotel! We are sorry that you had to stay with us during such a sad time! We welcome you back to the hotel anytime!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

My family planned to stay at this hotel but ended up leaving and booking a room somewhere else after a short time. There was a band playing until 2 a.m. and dozens of teenagers and college-aged students running around shouting from the hall area. Management's response was simply that we could leave and go to a run-down sister property. Though they didn't deliver on their promise to provide a decent room to sleep in, they wouldn't refund our money. I would not recommend this hotel unless you plan to get drunk and run around yelling in the middle of the night.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank M H
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Horrible filthy, non working room! Noisy and stunk! We had been traveling about two weeks and had stayed in several hotels, this was the last till we got home and the worst and highest price, disgusted!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank pricelessdolphin
CovingtonLodging, Public Relations Manager at Magnuson Hotel Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear Priceless Dolphin,
I am sorry that you were not satisfied with our hotel! In order to remedy the situation and be able to move forward we will need to be able to know who you are! If you could be so kind as to send us an email with your name and the room number that you were in, we would be glad to take a look at whatever problems you encountered! You can email us at bestwesternfd@gmail.com.