“Fries and burgers to go” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mountainside Grille
Ranked #10 of 26 Restaurants in Crozet
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: 434-823-7080
Crozet, VA
“Fries and burgers to go”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I ordered 2 cheeseburgers, a BLT and 4 fries to go. When I got home, there was only a single order of fries. When I called them, they offered to make more fries, but I didn't want to head back out. The manager immediately refunded me $10 (fries are merely $2 each) and apologized. Nice cover. I will keep going back. Tasty burger, tasty fries.

• Visited August 2014

Crozet, Virginia
“Their Way or The Highway? Time to Hit the Road!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I visited this place with my two children on Father's Day back in June. The delay in reviewing is due to me mistaking this place for another on a past review.

Big clue to attitude of cook (trust me, "chef" is not appropriate): the sign hanging by the cash register that says it's their way or nothing. And I wholeheartedly agree; nothing definitely would have been much better than Mountainside Grill's burgers and fries.

This was the second time in about four years that I visited Mountainside (once for lunch and the other for dinner), and both outcomes were the same. Although my daughter and I asked for Swiss cheese-mushroom burgers to be cooked medium, they both came well done, thin and fairly dry. Since we were having a pretty good Fathers' Day up 'til then and didn't want to spoil the mood, we chose to eat our burgers. My son ordered the Philly cheesesteak sandwich and was satisfied. None of the sandwiches comes with fries (pretty pricey at about $7 each), so we ordered a basket of them. At best, they were barely crisp. They were obviously low-grade frozen product.

We had no dessert and drank only water. The tab was $27.05 with tax. After we finished eating, we waited for 10 minutes for our server to leave us a bill. When I finally made eye contact, she pointed out the paper she left hidden between the napkin dispenser and salt and pepper shakers, out of my sight, not in front of me (the only adult/bill payer) at the table. At the register, when our server asked if everything was okay, I said the burgers were well done, instead of medium. Her response was, "Oh, I guess they're just used to making them well done."

Judging from my experience and other people's reviews, stay away from the burgers and fries and maybe come Tuesdays for the $1 tacos (then again, how big are the tacos, and what's in them?).

As a note (and a bit of personal venting), I have a background as a personal chef and server. So I can't understand any positive reviews of this place. You're better off getting back on the road to the local Dairy Queen.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Crozet, Virginia
“Their Way or The Highway? Time to Hit the Road”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Big clue to attitude of cook (trust me, "chef" is not appropriate): the sign hanging by the cash register that says it's their way or nothing. And I wholeheartedly agree; I nothing would have been much better than Otto's burgers and fries.

This was the second time in about four years that I visited Otto's (once for lunch and the other for dinner), and both outcomes were the same. Although my daughter and I asked for Swiss cheese-mushroom burgers to be cooked medium, they both came well done, thin and fairly dry. Since we were having a pretty good Fathers' Day up 'til then didn't want to spoil the mood, we chose to eat our burgers. My son ordered the Philly cheesesteak sandwich and was satisfied. None of the sandwiches comes with fries (pretty pricey at about $7 each), so we ordered a basket of them. At best, they were barely crisp. They were obviously low-grade frozen product.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not nearly as good as before ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed our first few trips here, but have been less than satisfied with it last couple of visits. Small nights ago I stopped by for a few appetizers to take home to the family. The crack dip, which had been one of our favorites, had a very different texture, was less cheesy, and didn't have the spicy bite it previously had. The fried pickle chips were completely lacking any flavor. It's too bad.

Also noticed a sign near the cash register... "this isn't Burger King. You get it our way, or you don't get it any d**n way." Even if this was a joke, it just didn't feel appropriate. Not sure we'll be going back...

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Good for Family”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Menu for the kids is nice and all around a good value for burgers and fries. Nothing fancy, not a place to take a date and there isn't a real bar area to hang out.

Visited August 2013