“Fine Country Cooking”

The Southern Way Cafe
Ranked #12 of 26 Restaurants in Crozet
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Great Local spot. We have outdoor seating with a beautiful view of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Looking for a variety of foods...look no furthur we have everything from cheeseburgers, steak, pastas,meatloaf and even fried oysters! On Saturday and Sundays we also serve breakfast. On Friday and Saturday nights you can look forward to live music on our outdoor stage as well as corn hole out back with a bonfire going on chilly evenings. There's something for everyone! See you soon
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Fine Country Cooking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Do not expect fancy--this place is as plain as a flour sack apron, and the food is genuinely good.
The brunch menu has all the usual suspects: eggs, home fries, pancakes, etc., and all of them are cooked beautifully. The shocker, however, at least for a woman partially raised on French food, is the Biscuits with Sausage Gravy--Northerners beware--this stuff looks predigested, but oh, my: Jason's bechamel is as silky and elegant as anything you'll find in France--then he adds spicy sausage crumbles with just the right amount of heat and pours the whole mess over the fluffiest biscuits in Charlottesville. His lunch menu is full of BBQ love--pig and chicken--and he does interesting riffs on the classic club, too. The dinner menu is changing, and new offerings will include classic fried chicken and waffles (with real maple syrup), chicken-fried steak, and I am praying he keeps his scallion and cheese-laden shrimp and grits. Don't miss the fabulous brussels sprouts--the only "avoid" is the lackluster side salad, but who comes to eat country food and orders uncooked greens? Love this place. Such nice people, such great value.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank malagamom

Virginia
“Amazing food, but....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

If I was only basing my review on the food, this restaurant would get 4.5 stars (out of 5) and I would be singing the place's praises all over the place. If I based it on the service, I'd give it 4.5, but when you go out to eat, it is about more than just those 2 areas. So, here's my story.......I checked the restaurant out ahead of time on tripadvisor and decided based on the reviews we would give it a try. So, first, the negatives: There was no sign outside that gave the name of the restaurant. The only signage was one that said, "We serve local food." I had seen a photo on this site though, so I knew it was the correct place. I found the interior a bit off putting. They have tried to give it a country themed appearance, but for me, it just seems kind of dumpy. The eat-in area is quite small. There was a screaming toddler there during our appetizer that nearly caused us to just pay for what we'd had and leave. Fortunately, after about 5 to 10 minutes, someone took the baby outside. The ladies' bathroom is a one room bathroom with no way to secure the door. I definitely did not like that! Now on to the fabulousness: The waitress was very friendly and helpful. We had the fried green tomatoes as an appetizer. They were incredible! The seasonings are perfect and they were cooked exactly right! The sauce was a delicious concoction. I have some guesses about what it was, but won't speculate here. I ordered the shrimp and grits and was NOT disappointed. The grits are layered with buttery, cheesy flavor. The cajun grilled shrimp went perfectly with it and the bacon crumbles and chopped tomato and scallion just took the flavor profile to the MOON!! Wow! My husband had the BBQ plate. I tasted his. I liked it, but I can tell you that I enjoyed my dinner way more! My meal came with a salad that was very fresh and included lots of veggies. (I hate to go to a restaurant and they bring a bowl of lettuce and call it a salad!) The servings are generous. And the presentation shows pride in their product. And, I will say, very well deserved pride! So, for 1 beer, 1 tea, an appetizer and 2 entrees, our total came to a very reasonable $40. I highly recommend their food. Truly, it is fantastic. Just know going in,this is not a place for date-night charm.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank imatbobs
Virginia
“Made my birthday happy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Great food, good atmosphere... The food portions were generous and the charm excellent. I have been there to celebrate my birthday with dinner (the BBQ was excellent) and the karaoke was filled with fun! Great way to celebrate!

• Visited April 2013
NJ
“Good Home Cooked Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

We ate here twice while visiting Charlottesville, VA. It is a small, homey little place. The service was very good. There is a wide assortment of sandwiches to choose from. The fries were a must! We had the BBQ pork sandwiches, burgers and BLT. All were great! The peach cobbler and brownie are a must for dessert. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but be sure to stop in for a great meal!!

Visited December 2013
Shenandoah Valley
“Southern cooking, and then some”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

If you like "simple" Southern cooking, this is the place for you, but simple doesn't mean plain, bland or deep-fried. This place offers some quick and easy breakfast, lunch, and dinner items, but also offers some specials. ON a warm day, sit outside and enjoy the view to the north and west. Staff is friendly and the service is prompt. Worth stopping by for a bite.

Visited June 2013