“Bed bugs :-(”

Lord Culpeper Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Culpeper
Lord Culpeper Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Culpeper
“Bed bugs :-(”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My fiancé and I are currently looking for a house to rent and while we are looking we thought it a good idea to rent out a room at our local Lord Culpeper Hotel. Upon arriving there was no one at the desk, which at first I did not mind seeing at there was a sign clearly stating a phone number to call to get ahold of someone. When te woman finally came down she was in her pjs!! We got our room which really was not a horrible rate for the amount of time we wanted to stay. As we were walking to our room we became overcome with cigarette smoke smell. We shrugged it off knowing it used to be a smokers hotel. When we walked into the room(212), it was very small but enough for me and my fiancé so we didnt mind. It was not the cleanest room I've ever seen. It honestly made my fiancé rethink our stay but unfortunately my dumb self convinced him to stay. We stayed one night and the next day while he was at work I saw a bug crawling on me and freaked.. I ripped the covers off the bed an was horrified to find BED BUGS!! It was disgusting! I informed the health department rather quickly and we checked out! This was a day ago and I'm still itching my skin and have showered twice. I would never recommend this place to anyone. It should e condemd and torn down.

• Stayed September 2013
6 Thank Irishroses24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Culpeper
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I was at the Thai restaurant housed in the Lord Culpeper Hotel today. I am a regular, don't even get a menu anymore. After lunch my friend and I decided to sit in the lobby of the hotel for a few minutes to chat. My friend was having a bad day so I hugged her and kissed her forehead. As I embraced her the receptionist asked if we were waiting for someone and I responded no, we just came from the restaurant. She raised her voice and kicked us out stating we had been there all day and this "was a hotel, not a make out and hang out place". I proceeded to tell her that we were not there all day we had just left the restaurant and showed her my receipt. She became aggressive and stated she did not want to see my receipt she knew we were there all day. My friend and I left as to not cause a scene. This is the most hateful place i have ever been too. Do not go! Especially if you are LGBTQ, hate ooozes from this place!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Keila R

Travellers are raving about these Culpeper hotels

Culpeper, Virginia
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I moved in here a few days ago and will be here for a few months. At first I wasn't sure because I didn't have hot water but the staff got right on it and even let me use the shower in another room in the meantime. My room has matching furnishings, bright inviting wall colors, a three foot fridge, a microwave, and a late model TV. For $800 a month you get cable, internet, utilities and a weekly cleaning.

I used to work in corporate hotels and there was full housekeeping staff, full front desk staff, full maintenance staff, full management staff, full assistant staff to the staff and basically lots of money to throw around to make sure 301 got their extra blanky. Lord Culpeper isn't that. You have to not be a whiner and do a few things yourself like get your own batteries for the remote, take out your trash to the dumpster, and little things like that. However, if you are a whiner, they will still take care you with a smile, it's just that there are just a handful of people running this whole place, so they seem a bit overworked.

This is is walking distance to theaters, fine dining, bars and shops. Also I should mention that I haven't seen a single bug. Not one roach or stink bug. The staff is friendly and I am enjoying my stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 June 2012

At $800/mo total, you cannot complain too much. If there is any problem, the staffs are very friendlly and always willling to accomodate. Make sure you get their phone numbers because they are rarely at the front desks. All the rooms are different in sizes, beds and styles, so ask for a good room (i.e. 225). AC also depends on which room you get. Overall, I liked my experience here in this little historical city. The Thai restaurant was excellent and a neat bonus, though it used to be a bar for prostitutes. If management was smarter, they would renovate the place more and turn it into 60s living experience for their guests. I'm sure they could bring in more income. Unfortunately, it remains a livable bargain with so much potential.

Room Tip: 200s are better
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank yume906
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The Lord Culpeper is a refurbished 1933 hotel. Its strengths are that it is in the historical district of Culpeper and is cheaper than the more-distant chain motels in the area. (Our charge for one night with our dog in late April, 2012, was $71.50 total. Other lodging in the area would have been at least $20 more.) It's weaknesses are that: the front desk is not presently manned continuously, so you have to call and wait 5 minutes for help; there are no telephones in rooms, no elevators, and no ice machines, and the corridor carpeting is starting to look dowdy. Yet our room 217 was very clean and quiet, with a very comfortable bed, microwave oven and refrigerator. The room also had good cable TV service (by motel standards), an excellent WiFi connection, a relaxing easy chair and an antique footstool. Also, the hotel contains the excellent "Thai Culpeper" restaurant. See our separate review of that.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, so ask for a second-floor room if walking to the third floor would bother yo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DonC1958
Culpeper, Virginia
Reviewed 26 September 2010

This is an old hotel. One of the oldest building in the area. The room I stayed in was recently renovated and had a unique look to it. I stayed for three weeks. I had no problems at all. It is an extended stay hotel. It's cheap, and if your looking for suite quality, go somewhere else.
You get what you pay for.
I was comfortalble

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
6 Thank Trucker74
VA
Reviewed 9 April 2010

So I stayed at the lord culpeper for 9 weeks on business. I had to wait 4 hours to check in because no one was at the front desk, or picking up the phone. There is only a front desk worker monday through saterday from 4 to 6 so if you have a problem or need something your pretty much screwed. There is no heat or AC controls on the rooms, it done by floors and the owner controls it there dials are locked. When its cold out, its even colder in the room, when its hot out, its crazy hot in the room. if your staying long definetly bring your own heater, AC, . Oh and each room has two outlets, thats it. soo your gann want to buy an extension cord and power strips. In my room there are bugs, gum stuck in the carpet, ugly paint, broken ceiling fan, night stand with only 3 legs, TV but the picture is pretty much shot, dont want to open the windows ...you can see the bug in between the glass and screen, ....those are the negs, i could go on trust me, >>>The few good things aobut this place are its dirt cheap, right in the middle of town, free high speed internet. I wouldent suggest anyone come here unless you really have to.............theres no photos on anysite of this place i looked hard, im goin to post a bunch up enjoy

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank farmcrash
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culpeper
Best Western Culpeper Inn
Poplar Springs Inn & Spa
Suites at 249
Suites at 249
#2 of 6 in Culpeper

Been to Lord Culpeper Hotel? Share your experiences!