“Needs lots of work” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lord Culpeper Hotel

Lord Culpeper Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Culpeper
Lord Culpeper Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Culpeper
Goshen, CT
“Needs lots of work”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

Arrived in Culpeper on a whim, and from the exterior this place looked ok. Went into lobby (9 pm) and nobody there. Eventually dialed the number from my cell and in came a woman from the adjoining Thai restaurant - she was chatting with staff there because it was so slow. OK, that's fine, and she was very pleasant checking us in. The room was on the 2nd floor, no elevator, but again, no biggie. Bathroom was clean but very spartan, no shelf or anything to put stuff on, ancient fittings and furnishings. No amenities other than soap and some squeeze paks of shampoo/conditioner. No way to adjust heating/cooling, thankfully there was a ceiling fan to keep us cool. During the night we were awakened by a loud crash and the bed sagging to the left. We were too tired to get up and try to move the bed and fix the slat, so just tried to get through the night. In the am we checked out the bed and it was not just a slipped slat but the bed's left side had actually broken, fractured like a broken leg - no wonder since it was particle board! In case you're wondering, we are big but not morbidly obese people, combined weight me and my wife about 500 lbs, so this shouldn't have happened.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank crasher1339

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
north carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2009

I have stayed at many hotels in my life and all over the world I might add. This hotel is the worst place I have ever stayed in. Dirty, no controls for heating and air ( either freezing or boiling), no service, no elevators, NO ANYTHING AT ALL. When I called the owner to get my money back, I recieved no return call from him. I spoke to the manager and was told the is a "NO REFUND" policy. I called the owner several time and still got no results. Believe me folks, unless you like nasty, STAY AWAY from this place.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kilbasi

Travellers are raving about these Culpeper hotels

Lexington, KY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2008

I recently stayed at the Lord Culpeper Hotel while riding in a horse show at Commonwealth Park. Although I had heard both good and bad things about the hotel I began staying there years ago while at the summer shows. I am pleased to say they had updated quite a bit since my last stay. While each of the rooms I have stayed in have been uniquely decorated with antique furniture and accessories, the room I was in on this stay had a flat screen tv mounted to the wall and a gorgeous set of bedroom furniture (one I would love to have in my own home!) Everything in the room matched and although it is an old hotel and there is no phone or a/c controls (there is AC!) in the room, I enjoy the uniqueness and variations from room to room, unlike chain hotels. I would definitely recommend this hotel :)

-I was also pleased to see they have a key card system now!

• Liked — historical details, uniqueness
  • Disliked — front desk closes at 11, although...you can call if you need someone
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Walnutgrove6
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2008

I was very shoked to read the review dated May 08, To hear this person talk about this lovely little hotel that way. My husband and I stopped into this great town called Culpeper and found this hotel, and to our amazement it had a wonderful Thai restaurant and bar that had the best Pad Thai that I have ever tasted , and a wonderful little barber shop called Lee's and a Flower shop called Flowers by LIza it was absolutely adorable. As soon as we walked through the front doors we were greeted with a smile from the front desk attendent, who gave us in great detail, directions to some of the places we wanted to visit and then she walked us up to our room. My husband and I have traveled all around and we loved this Hotel. There is AC and all the linens were provided and cordinated. After speaking with the staff we were informed that the hotel is now under new managment and has been and still is being updated.
Though not as industrial as a standard chain hotel - for a home away from home - The Lord Culpeper Hotel is a wonderful choice.

• Liked — friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank bella68va
Boca Raton, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2008

Absolutely the worst hotel I have ever set foot in. I have travelled extensivley domestically and abroad and this place takes the cake for the worst hotel I have ever been to including Nicaragua.

No linenes, No Parking, No shampoo, soap, toilet paper, A/C or heater controls. Scary place, Stay away. This place is almost laughable.

The TV was from the 70's. Vending machine from 60's. The shower did not even drain. I had to take pictures to send to my wife just so she would believe how bad it was.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — no Air Conditioning
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank koozie
Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2008

The Lord Culpeper Hotel is an older, independently operated establishment that avoids the austere sterility that characterizes some of the chain hotels. The resulting habitat is quaint or hodge-podge (possibly both), depending on your perspective.

My room had no alarm clock or telephone (there is a pay phone in the hallway). I wanted to plug in my own alarm clock, telephone charger, and hair dryer, but the only available outlets were in a power strip that couldn’t stretch very far, because it was plugged in behind the dresser. (Already plugged into this power strip were the crooked lamp, the refrigerator, and the microwave.) Though I had a “non-smoking room,” my room smelled of combined smoke and Asian spice (the “Thai Culpeper” restaurant is on the first floor of the building; the first floor also shares space with a barber shop and a florist). In order to filter out the smell and cool down the room (there is no heating/AC control unit in the room, though there was an ineffective ceiling fan), I forced my window open. That helped minimally. The T.V. remote did not work (bring your own AAA batteries!). The door lock on the bathroom was one of those chain locks (slide the pin). It’s an older hotel, which explains the creakiness when you walk across the floor. There were no outlets in the bathroom, nor was there a vanity on which to place toiletries. The commode was one of those school-style ones that flushes with a metal handle. Like the overall color schemes of the bedroom and bathroom, the bed linens and bath towels were mismatched, perhaps possibly to create a “quaint” effect.

The hotel seems to not have its own parking lot; I parked in a public lot across the street (and had to drag my luggage across the street to the hotel).

There is not a staff member on call 24/7. Naturally, this mode of operations is not conducive for hospitality or a feeling of security.

An interesting issue with the locked door that separates the check-in area with the rooms: you use your card to unlock the door. The door does not immediately close by itself, and if you do not make sure that the door is closed, the next time you use your card to unlock the door, the card will not work. There is a sign on the door that explains this. When I went to my car and returned, I could not open the door (apparently I was not assiduous enough to closing the door when I left), and there was no attendant on duty. I honestly thought that I would have to spend the night on the landing. Fortunately, after five minutes of despair, my card became effective again.

Overall, in some respects, the Lord Culpeper seemed like a somewhat indifferently maintained accommodation, but may please those who dislike the impersonal nature of the chain hotels.

• Liked — The hallways are spacious.
  • Disliked — The door that separates the check-in area from the rooms (see review).
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Valeri_Valera
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culpeper
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
BEST WESTERN Culpeper Inn
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#3 of 7 in Culpeper
Poplar Springs Inn & Spa
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Warrenton
Holiday Inn Express Orange

Been to Lord Culpeper Hotel? Share your experiences!