“Total Dump!! Power whent out and there where no emergency lights” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Roof Inn Culpeper

Red Roof Inn Culpeper
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Culpeper
Tallahassee
“Total Dump!! Power whent out and there where no emergency lights”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

I had to walk out my mother and 3 aunts (all over 70 ) on the dark. The halls where very hot (no A/C whent they had power. Electric wires hanging off side of building. Avoid at all cocts. Hotel across street was great ! Best Western. I called customer relaitions and they where useless. I think Choice Hotels "sold out" I called their reservation line and found out this and other "cheap" hotels has no rating. This means they take the money and do not even check out if they are up to their standards.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank xrayserviceman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Columbia, MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

The check-in staff did not greet us with much 'friendliness'. Room was clean. Mattress was a little firm (no pillow-top). Fridge and microwave in working order. I had requested a handicap accessible room, but was not accommodated. It is an older motel, so could use some remodeling. The motel is in an easy to find location. All in all, a bargain for the price.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JEMPAM
Powhatan, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

Stayed here as I was traveling with friends on a budget. While it wasn't quite as bad as indicated by some other reviewers, I can certainly confirm the comments about the rude front desk staff who barely speak English. One of my friends was given a first floor room which is almost like a basement. The grille on the front of the AC unit in this room was half missing, and the sheets were torn - yes we stripped all the beds and checked the mattresses and box springs for bed bugs having seen earlier comments. We didn't find any sign thankfully. I had a second floor room which was somewhat better, although the bathroom sink was in poor condition with the surface peeling away which means it can't be cleaned properly.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Culpeper hotels

VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

I have read the other reviews for this hotel & I completely agree with all of them. When my fiance and I got there it was alright. Not too bad from the outside. The room stunk. Smelled awful. The heat didn't work and it's the middle of winter. We paid for two nights & had the "do not disturb" sign hanging outside of the door (because I hate house keeping). Well, they come barging into our room, literally barged in, and told us that we had to leave because we didn't pay for two nights. It was very very very very rude and really pissed us off. And then, the non-english speaking man behind the desk was aggravating & not helpful at all. It was frustrating. A hotel is supposed to be a place where you can relax and chill. I don't have to have the luxuries and fancy things, but seriously, I DON'T want people barging in. If you can help it at all, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank masonsparents
Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

This hotel was awful. Moldy showers, smelled horrid, dirty. AND the beds must be infected with some kind of bugs. Both my boss and I staying there ended up with a million bites all over our bodies. Disgusting.

Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank KAB05009
Washington, DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2008

My friend and I were planning a weekend away and waited too long to book something in Shenandoah (holiday weekend), so we decided to stay here. BIG mistake! I figured "How bad could it be? Sure, it will be basic, but I've traveled on a budget in Europe and the US before..it can't be that bad." Uh, yes it can. Trust me. You may think "I don't need anything fancy." Ask yourself, do you need electricity? I at least require that. More on that in a bit.

We arrived at 3 to check in (the check in time), and were told our room wouldn't be ready until 5 because "We only have one maid and there are a lot of rooms to clean." This should have really tipped us off to how bad the rest would be. We went around Downtown Culpeper (lovely) and came back to check in. We got our key and went to the room...below ground level. Essentially, someone could easily climb in...not cool for 2 women. The hallway was dark and, quite frankly, scary. I asked the front desk if they had something higher, and the man there replied that they were full. So, we decided to make the best of it. First, the room reeked--a combination of smoke and gasoline fumes. Right outside our window, a motorcycle was parked and people obviously were smoking. There was loud music coming from next door. The a/c was broken.

I was fuming, but my friend was still calm. Then, the most ridiculous thing happened: we lost electricity and the already dim room got dimmer. This can happen to any hotel in a storm or blackout...but get this...the Super 8 was the only place without electricity. I stormed up to the front desk and demanded a refund. The flustered man agreed--he was on the phone with someone at the time. We then walked across the street to the Best Western (very nice) and had them hold a room. When we got back, the guy was handing out pop lights to guests. Gee, they're mighty prepared, almost as if this has happened numerous times before. He told me that the manager said he could refund our money, but not anyone else's because...and this is the worst part...he pointed to a sign that said "no refunds for electrical outages." WHAT?!?! Clearly, this is an ongoing problem and not a one-time occurance. Fortunately, we were able to get our money refunded and stayed across the street. Save yourself the grief and spend a few more bucks to stay at the Best Western or somewhere else!!!! Trust me!

• Liked — That I didn't have to stay there
  • Disliked — That it exists
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled with friends
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank PlangalDC
Bethesda, MD
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2007

We stayed in Culpeper recently to attend a horseshow, and this was the only place that had rooms. I cannot believe the board of health hasn't closed this rathole down! I have traveled extensively in the US and Europe, all on a budget, and don't mind "living rough." This place, however, was filthy (carpets unvacuumed, old food in fridge, trash from last occupants in room) beyond any place I've ever stayed in. I would not even allow my kids to sit on the bedspread; had to go out and buy blankets (we'd brought our own pillows), Lysol and cleaning supplies.

I cannot stress enough how terrible the experience was, and advise anyone to stay far away; you're better off sleeping in your car.

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank Mary64Bethesda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culpeper
BEST WESTERN Culpeper Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#3 of 7 in Culpeper
Comfort Inn & Suites Orange
Baymont Inn & Suites Warrenton
Holiday Inn Express Orange

Been to Red Roof Inn Culpeper? Share your experiences!