“GREAT FOOD”
Review of Atheneans

Atheneans
Ranked #47 of 98 Restaurants in Culpeper
Cuisines: Greek
Description: http://www2.starexponent.com/news/2011/aug/31/no-myth-greek-restaurant-opening-west-side-ar-1275853/http://www.yelp.com/biz/atheneans-culpeperphone number: 540-727-0191http://www2.starexponent.com/news/2011/sep/03/our-view-much-needed-restaurant-ar-1282947/http://www.headlineva.com/index.php/public_notices/notice/ABC_NOTICE_Triantafillos_VisikidesJose_S_Villatoro_Velasquez_Trading_as_ATH/https://foursquare.com/user/11151886
usa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“GREAT FOOD”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Love going to eat at Atheneans I go at least once a week if not twice service is great and so is the food!!

Visited June 2013

Bealeton, Virginia
“COULD BE SO MUCH MORE....”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

My wife and I are always looking for a good Greek place to eat closer to home. Today 6/7 was our first trip to Atheneans here is how it went. We arrived at about 1145 for lunch, we were promptly seated. Shortly after the waitress arrived with a menu, she checked back in a few but we told her we needed more time since it was our first visit.
We normally get some sort of Gyro platter with a Greek salad, we're creatures of habit. We saw a Greek salad and a dinner gyro platter with a garden salad. So we ordered a large Greek salad along with two platters.
The food was served promptly with the large Greek salad with two plates arriving first, as we finished the platters showed up. I asked for extra meat on the side ( she didn't put it on the side as I asked).
Critique of the food is as follows...
1. Gyro meat was cut much earlier as it was very dry and almost the consistency of chewy beef jerky. Portions on the platters were generous.

2. Greek salad dressing was oil / vinegar based and tasty - they had garlic powder that we used so it helped. They put hardly any feta cheese on salad - we asked for more.

3. The tzatziki sauce was tasty but they were stingy with the amount on the platter. I asked for an extra container with more.

4. We weren't charged for the tzatziki sauce or feta that I could tell - but the bill was confusing as there was a charge for $2 and another for $5 for extra meat.

5. Server was very attentive and checked back with us several times for drinks and to ensure everything was OK. No issues with service.

I did ask if they cut the meat earlier and was told yes they did - I told her that they should cut it as it was needed otherwise it would be all dried up like it was. THIS PLACE HAS SOME MINOR ISSUES THAT COULD BE CORRECTED THAT WOULD DRAMATICALLY IMPROVE THE FOOD QUALITY.
1. Carve the meat off after the order is placed not an hour or more before so it will be hot & juicy.
2. A little more feta on the salad would go a long way.
3. The tzatziki sauce should be in a small container on the side of the meat vs on top of the meat.

Would I return? Yes, we try to go back for a second pass before we decide to steer clear of some place unless we notice something really bad. I am hoping management will correct our concerns - I'm surprised no one has said something sooner about the dried out gyro meat. They seem to have plenty of parking and the A/C was nice & cool too.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jay M
“Not good!!!”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Not good!! I ordered a meat calzone and took out the sausage and added green peppers and when we got the check they charged me $1.50 for green peppers and sausage is so much more expensive than green peppers!!! Was not told about this charge and the marinara sauce is not to be desired. Don't come to a Greek restaurant if you want Italian food (I should have listened to my own rule). My boyfriend ordered sub and he always likes those. Very disappointed with the service....no personality. And we saw the host eat a French fry out of the same bowl my boyfriends fries came from. So gross.

• Visited April 2013
King George, VA
“Headed west on Rt. 522? Stop here!”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I had read about this little restaurant a while ago in a local paper. Like many local reviews, they tend to be very uncritical and easy to please, so I wasn't sure what to expect. When I walked in, I was pleased to see that it was plainly furnished, not "fancy" by any stretch, with a nice small town vibe to it. I got there in mid-afternoon, so it wasn't crowded, which means service wasn't a test: there were only a couple of other diners there. I wasn't very hungry and just wanted a quick snack. I settled on an appetizer of tzatziki with pita bread, and a house salad. Cutting to the chase: both were excellent. The tzatziki was wondefully flavored, a delight, homemade right there according to the waitress. It came with two large pitas; easily enough for a nice appetizer for two! The salad was far and away the best house salad I've had in a long time, maybe ever. Nice assortment of greens, and just the right amount of veggies. And the veggies were perfectly sliced. How many times have you gotten a salad and there are big, clunky pieces of vegetables in there. Very unappetizing! This couldn't have been better. The veggies were thinly sliced, and a perfect complement to the greens. The house dressing was flavorful and delicate, not overwhelming.
My only regret is that I didn't have time to get a full meal, but you can bet I'll not make that mistake again! Can't wait to get back!

• Visited March 2013
Aurora, Ohio
“Great gyros & homemade Hummus”
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

We had a very enjoyable family meal. We all had gyros and an appetizer of homemade hummus. Four of us eat for $ 75. We would definitely go back again to this casual restaurant.

Visited May 2012