“Wasn't expecting much, but it was much much worse”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Culpeper
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Culpeper
Baltimore, Maryland
“Wasn't expecting much, but it was much much worse”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

There are very few hotel choices in this area that are backed by a brand name, so while it wasn't our first choice I thought we could trust that Microtel would have minimum standards in place at least. Surprisingly the reviews on tripadvisor did not stand out as very bad, but our experience was just that. I can overlook lackluster service, but for an economy brand without the bells and whistles of a full service hotel, cleanliness is the core of what you are buying. Our room was disgusting. The floor was not clean and the sheets were worn almost all the way through in spots. The bathroom was atrocious- the bath faucet constantly dripped and the tub didn't drain well. The vent was covered in dust and the bathroom wall was moldy. It felt more like I was in a room that might be rented by the hour. Corporate needs to check on this hotel- they are not representing the Wyndham brands well at all.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LutesBaltimore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 October 2012

My family and I went to Culpeper Virginia for business and I needed to take my pet with me. Microtel was the only place available with that service for the days we needed. The pictures on their website showed a newly updated motel, but that is NOT what my room looked like. The bathroom had a plumbing problem and their was mold on the wall next to the tub. The room smelled musty and like cigarette smoke. The room check in time was 3 oclock but I requested an earlier check in so I would have a place for my pet after the long drive but was told at noon by the check in personnel to check back and when I did at about 1pm I was told by the front desk that no rooms ( even those that were cleaned and ready) could be used until ALL rooms were cleaned. They said that it was Wyndham hotel policy. So, I expected when I did check in to find a clean room. That was not what happened! The room looked and smelled like it had not been cleaned. Particles were on the carpet and the bathroom shown on the web site did not appear in my room. I guess you can't believe the pictures you see on websites . In addition the only two public water fountains in the lobby were not working during my entire stay which I think may be a health hazard. The check out staff was friendly and helpful but by then I was done with the trip and wanted to simply go home. I was however more disappointed with the room and the representatives of Microtel ( check in front desk personnel) than I have been in any other hotel'motel chain I have visited in the last few years. I am a constant traveler for both business and pleasure so I have visited many facilities in the past. Since it was supposed to be a smoke free motel you would think that the management would have had some way to discourage people from using the front entrance as a smoking room, but that proved to also be an area of concern . There were cigarettes all over the grass and mulch landscaping. I will not recommend this motel to any of my friends as a result of these experiences. Shame on Wyndham for not doing a better job.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

Travellers are raving about these Culpeper hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Daytime management was
bad, very reluctantly helpful. Safety hazard tripping hazard in the main entrance. The heater smell like garbage when I turned it on I had to turn it off immediately. Totally inadequate compared to what I'm used to from Wyndham resorts. This hotel definitely has to be on the radar of upper management to straighten it out. The maid seemed to do a good job.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

NORTH PORT
Reviewed 25 September 2012

The first room we were given was definately a smoking room, even though our reservation was for non-smoking. During our entire stay the parking lot was littered with garbage including an used quart of oil can. The dryer in our room did not work, and the staff was unable to locate another one. The shower curtain rod was installed upside down and the curtain did not stay closed letting the water run onto the floor with every shower. However, our maid was friendly and stocked our room full of towels, which we needed desperately to mop up the water on the floor in the bathroom.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Hyattsville
Reviewed 25 September 2012

In many ways the hotel is poor in ways you would expect from a budget hotel - small rooms, no in-room coffee maker, thin towels, poor breakfast. In that respect, it's more average, kind of get what you pay for. The thing that bumps it down to poor was the mold along the edges of the shower. The rest of the room was clean and fine, but they've really got to get on top of the mold.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culpeper
Best Western Culpeper Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#3 of 7 in Culpeper
Comfort Inn & Suites Orange
Baymont Inn & Suites Warrenton
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Warrenton

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Culpeper? Share your experiences!