“An Excellent Stop on the Road or Trail”

Howard Johnson Inn Daleville/Roanoke North
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Daleville
Norfolk, VA
“An Excellent Stop on the Road or Trail”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

The roadside coupons steered me right this time, as did the recommendation from the gas station clerk next door. The property was attractively landscaped and appealing on the outside, both from the road and from within. The desk clerk was exceptionally friendly and efficient. He asked if I wanted poolside, but I stated that I wanted to park at my door. He gave me a room at the corner of the building that qualified as both.

I also noticed that he took care of another guest’s problems quickly. The customer in front of me declared their room unsuitable for some reason. He took his master list and key, met the customer, and went with the customer to another room to make sure the new one was satisfactory.

My room was great from the start. The décor was dark, but the lighting was sufficient to overcome that. Everything in the room was clean, working properly and well maintained. The wireless connection was strong all evening. The micro-fridge was very useful and appreciated. The pool, while not Olympic sized, was big enough for exercise with the rope removed. It was clean, slightly cool, but still comfortable.

The Appalachian Trail crosses US-220 about 100 yards to the north, making this the closest motel to the trail in this town. Depending on the luck of the draw, there might be a few hikers about. There was one present on the night I was there, and he shared some good stories about his trail journey to date. I found that to be a very entertaining encounter.

Breakfast was hot and plentiful. There were eggs, waffles, country gravy, and the usual assortment of juices, coffees, cereals, and pastries. I spilled something and turned to my right to find some napkins to clean it up. When I turned back, a staff member had come behind me and already taken care of it. The staff member kept everything else clean and stocked as well.

The business center was one desktop computer on a small table next to the front desk. It worked well enough for me to print a short document quickly, during an equally quick and easy check out.

This turned out to be an outstanding motel. It was reasonably priced and I would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Broadway, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

I stayed here on two separate occaisions for a total of 5 or 6 nights. The first room I got was fairly old. Rust came out of the bathtub faucet when I first turned it on. The air conditioner was barely adequate making for a slightly warmer room than I prefer. On my second stay, however, in a room not two doors down none of those issues was present.

Place is a little older. The grounds and the pool area are very well kept. On my second stay the wifi internet was a bit touchy (booting me off every 15 min).

Breakfast is quite nice for a hotel of this price. Biscuits and Gravy, mini-waffles, bagels, donuts, juice, and little egg patties.

The staff is very nice and accomodating. Not a bad stay and it fit within our tiny budgets for the work we were doing in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank dbaicy
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

Ice machine too far from early rooms. Average amenities. Not plush but adequate. Free Wi-Fi works! I left Rx Glasses there, and nearly a week later called to see about them. Manager had kept them and offered to send them to me, charging only the (very high) UPS shipping charges to my Credit Card. We've not had such honesty from other motels, believe me!

1 Thank gmomhpa
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

Upon arriving at the hotel, we found out that the front desk staff had given our room to someone else with the same first name and similar last name. After getting that worked out, we were given a different room. The AC wasn’t on in the room (I guess they weren’t expecting anyone in there so they shut it off) so we roasted in 90+ degree heat until the room cooled off that night.

The bedspread looks like it’s been there for years; it was faded and stained. The cleaning staff clearly just vacuums in the middle of the room because the corners are full of dust and dirt. It appears there had been a leak in the bathroom ceiling that leaked into the shower and on the bathroom floor, causing yellow stains to appear all over the tile. There was soap scum in the shower and on the handles of the sink (they had obviously not been touched by the cleaning staff). Also, there were hairs in the shower and on the bathroom wall.

On a positive note, the free breakfast wasn’t that bad. There are muffins, donuts, bagels, cereal, waffles, and eggs along with coffee and juice. They advertise a “free full hot breakfast buffet,” but it’s actually just your run of the mill continental breakfast.

The exterior of the motel was clean and well kept. The grass was cut, hallways were reasonably clean, it looks like they recently painted, and when we woke up on Saturday someone was cleaning the pool.

The location of the motel is right off Interstate 81 and is close to several fast food restaurants, gas stations and a grocery store.

I know this motel is old and cheap, but room cleanliness is a must for every class of lodging. If you don’t mind “roughing it” for a night, then it’s a good deal, but if you expect a little more, don’t stay here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Daleville hotels

Daleville, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

Sure the place might need some updates, My wife was Very ill and called the front desk to ask where is closes Hospital..........Picked up my wife in my arms and ran to the vehicle........and a hotel worker noticed me and asked if she was sick, I replied yes........ and drove off !
I was at the Hospital early after noon till late at night with her.....Thank God shes OK!

But the next morning, with all the curtains closed, Dead Bolted and with the upper Latching mechanism with that ball, so we could sleep (8:20 AM) All of a sudden the Door opens with no notice!!!!!!!! My wife was startled, I woke up and said what are you doing??????? The guy said oh sorry!
I called the front desk to ask, What is the problem? Isn't check out time 12:00pm? Oh was that the cleaning person?

Much latter that same guy came to out door and said, Oh was just checking on the sick girl!

We don't know this person!!!!!!!! He has no right to just unannounced with his pass key walk right in!!!!!!!!!
I don't trust this place, we are out of here!!!!!!!!!
Ask your self, would you believe him??????????? Or this Hotel????????????

tallahassee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

The advertisement said "awarding winning" and customer satisfaction. This place is old; the mattress sloped to the middle. There were cobwebs on the outside railings of nearly every door. The ceiling in the breakfast room had leaked at sometime and small pieces of it were hanging down over the terrible "hot" breakfast. We complained about this and more to the manager, but he stated they had good ratings.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2010

Got a great rate. Was clean and well run. Easy to find and get to. Grocery store and food nearby. Near AT with lots of hikers there. Plenty of hot water and actually a good shower head. Clean pool but no hot tub. Could hear the room next door a little. Call directly for a good rate. Stayed in a lot worse at double the cost. Good place to stop off the Blue Ridge Parkway (I was on a motorcycle and could park right outside my door).

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daleville
Red Roof Inn Roanoke - Troutville
Hampton Inn Roanoke / Hollins / I-81
Motel 6 Roanoke
Motel 6 Roanoke
#22 of 40 in Roanoke

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Daleville/Roanoke North? Share your experiences!