“Great staff, great service”
Review of Sundog Outfitter

Sundog Outfitter
Ranked #3 of 9 things to do in Damascus
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located "where the trails cross", Sundog Outfitter is your outfitter for adventure on the Virginia Creeper Trail, Appalachian Trail, Iron Mountain Trail, or one of the other trails that cross in our parking lot. Daily bike rentals and trail shuttles available all year round.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 7 November 2011

There are many shuttle services in Damacus. We chose this one because it was the first we saw as we entered town. Paid less than internet advertised rate, possibly because it was the off season. They moved up the normal shuttle time for us to accomodate our schedule. Our folding bikes were securely fastened to the trailer and handled very carefully. The driver was full of local knowledge of hiking trails, plants, animals, and the best place to spot the qwild ponies at Grayson Highlands State Park. Large secure parking lot for our car. Business is located right along side the trail. Would definately use them again.

3  Thank bikingfarmer
There are newer reviews for Sundog Outfitter

Reviewed 29 August 2011

Organized a group of 40 friends to ride the trail and Sundog Outfitters provided very good service. The people there were all nice and for the most part the equipment was well maintained and fitted properly. Drivers were very safe in transporting the group up to White Top. Very enjoyable trip.

1  Thank HappyTraveler48962
Reviewed 17 July 2010

I rented bikes and got shuttled to the top of the mountain with my family here last year in July of 2009 and was relatively pleased with my experience. However, I return in July of 2010 and I was very displeased with my experience. You see this time I left my vehicle at the top of the mountain and rode down with my family to the sundog outfitter location. So naturally I needed a ride back to my vehicle so I figured I would pay for my myself to be shuttled back to my vehicle without my bike just so I can retreive my vehicle, which they say they charge $12.99 for which I was willing to pay. When I explain the situation to the man at the shop he says he will need to charge me $20 for that service. I ask him why so much and also ask him why he is over charging me and he gives me some BS reason. Basically I feel he was charging more because he was upset that figured out a way to save money by just shuttling myself back to the top of the mountain to retreive my vehicle and then coming down to pick up my family at the pizza shop. Little did he know that I was planning on spending some money at the shop because they actually have alot of cool outdoorsy items to purchase. Well I suggest finding another outfitter if you plan to visit damascus, va and ride the vrigina creeper trail.

3  Thank devode
Reviewed 16 August 2009

We just returned from a beautiful day visiting lovely Damascus, VA and riding bikes on the Virginia Creeper Trail. We arrived at Sundog Outfitter in the morning an inquired about the Creeper trip. We failed to make a reservation but the nice gentleman at the counter said he had 3 seats that just became available. We found out that reservations are a must on weekends.

Sundog was a hikers and bikers candy store. Lots of hiking gear (the shop is actually located on the Appalachian Trail), biking gear, and tons of souvenir t-shirts. After they fitted us with some comfortable bikes we boarded a van for a 35 minute shuttle ride to the top. The shuttle driver, "Slow Joe", was a great story teller and a great guide to the area.

After many, many, curves in the road (take care if you get car-sick easily) up through the national forest we arrived at our destination. At the top is a wonderful Kodak moment where we had Joe take our picture with Whitetop Mountain in the background.

It took us around 3.5 hrs to complete the 17 mile downhill (YES, all downhill) bike ride. We stopped often to take pictures, wade in the creek, rest our bottoms, etc... You could complete the trail in less time but we were not in a hurry. Bring you camera and shoes for wading. The trail traverses through beautiful mountain scenery and along the river for most of the way. There are many bridges to cross, just be careful riding across them.

Our bikes were very comfortable and we could not have had a better time. I would highly recommend Sundog Outfitter for their comfortable bikes, great shopping, and a great guide (Slow Joe).

4  Thank jennyhikes
Reviewed 4 July 2008

We had a baby with us. the baby trailer they gave us with the bike was filthy and even had a dirty diaper from the previous user left in the pocket. After the van dropped us off they didn't bother to take the baby seat out of the van and upon our return we had to wait over an hour for the van to return with it. During our wait they did not offer us drinks, coupons, or any compensation for our troubles. I will never do business with them again.

5  Thank Teachzebra