“Great Atmosphere and Wine!!!”
Review of Barrel Oak Winery

and up
All Day Virginia Wine Tour from DC
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Delaplane
More attraction details
Owner description: We invite you to relax and discover our destination winery, voted "Virginia's Favorite Winery." BOW is a special place where award-winning, handcrafted Virginia wine pairs beautifully with friends and family. Pack a picnic and spend the day enjoying live music and sweeping historic vistas. Catch the sunset from our inviting stone patio. Find fun in exploration, relaxation and conversation. Our family and dog-friendly environment is the perfect backdrop for a truly memorable day.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Stephens City, Virginia
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great Atmosphere and Wine!!!”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My husband and I were getting out for some wine tasting and have been told for years to get out to Barrel Oak Winery. When we showed up, there were so many people there but it didn't feel crowded. And everyone had a dog, which was fantastic because there were all well behaved and relaxing. We liked the variety of wines that Barrel Oak offered and found that we liked most of their wines. The only reason that I didn't give a 5 rating was because the gentleman that was doing our tasting didn't have much of a personality... not sure if he thought he was too good for the job or genuinely didn't care about the job, but it did bother me some. We each still got a glass of wine and cheese plate, then went outside to enjoy the view and atmosphere.

Visited March 2014

Fairfax, Virginia
193 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“A Pet Friendly Favorite”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

A bit far out from DC, but a lovely spot on the top of a hill. Usually music outside on the weekends. Usually pizza or BBQ being sold. Good food, good wine and my dog is welcome. This is my kind of place! Beautiful views!!!

east coast
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Beautiful and lots of fun!”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stopped in with a friend while visiting several wineries.

First off, from the moment you arrive you realize that you are going to have fun. Everyone has their dogs, and it seems that the happy dog style personality has won out...people were nice and super friendly.

We enjoyed a great tasting, consisting of 11 wines. While I wasn't super impressed with any of the wines, they were all decent and some were quite nice. The real pleasure was sitting out on the hillside at one of the many picnic tables and enjoying some bread and cheese that we had brought with us. It was a great setting, and great people (and dog) watching as we sat out and enjoyed the afternoon.

This was an unpretentious winery, a place you could bring friends and fido, and not feel out of place at all.

1 Thank climberchica
Manassas, Virginia
“Horrible service and bad wine”
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

I have been to BOW three times now. Every time I have gone I have not enjoyed the wine. There are several other wineries in the area that have much better wine. What's even worse than the wine is the service. The employees are very rude and so is the owner. I also got there at 4:30 when their website states they close at 6. They were closing at 5 for a private party and were not doing tastings. They were very short and rude. Even though the view is beautiful, if you are looking for good wins and pleasant people go to any of the surrounding vineyards.

Charlottesville, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beautiful setting & good wine”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Barrel Oak was a very enjoyable cap on a recent trip to the area. They have a respectable selection with two six-wine tasting flights, or they can be combined. They don't separate the flights by color, but by sweet/light vs dry/deep, which is nice. They have a nice view of the Blue Ridge mountains from their large porch with multiple fire pits, or there are tables inside.

One important note is that it is *very* dog friendly, so anyone with allergies or who is otherwise adverse to dogs may want to find a different winery to visit.

Visited December 2013