“Nice surprise”

Dining options: Seating
Knoxville
“Nice surprise”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Toby's is the reason to stay in Deltaville to have dinner. Service was friendly and the food great, especially the crab cakes, which are exceptional.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank LisaKnoxville

Atlanta, Georgia
““In search of the Bay's best crabcake””
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We've spent the last 7 days zigzagging down the Chesapeake Bay relaxing and eating crab cakes on our personal quest to identify the best crabcake on the Bay. In Deltaville, we were encouraged by the Trip Advisor reviews of Toby's, so we put it on our list. Toby's is one of those places that you feel excited simply to find. Tucked away down a dirt road away from the marinas, it feels local, genuine and fun. People looked up and smiled when we came in, and Shannon, our waitress was the embodiment of enthusiasm and good cheer. The crabcake was divine -- crunchy on the top and filled with lump crabmeat seasoned with a touch of Old Bay. I immediately crowned it "The Best" and loved that it came with roasted potatoes, barely-steamed green beans, beets and a roasted tomato. My BF ranked Toby's crabcake a little behind Tark's in Baltimore and The Boathouse in Annapolis, but with one more stop to go, Toby's has my vote!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank vamrd
VA
“Out of the Way Local Spot”
Reviewed 8 October 2012

First, you've got to find the place. If you're a local or keep a boat in Deltaville, it's not hard. If you are not, you'll think you were heading into the boondocks. Hard to believe this place stays in business, but the local color and the food are what works for them. The owner/chef puts out some entrees that a wonderful and not what you would expect from looking at the outside of the place. Service was friendly as one would expect for Deltaville. Enjoy if you are up that way.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank PeteVa
Shaker Heights, Ohio, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden Magic”
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Gem of a restaurant hidden in the town of Deltaville that we found only because of TripAdvisor. Off the beaten path and an eclectic environment. Funky lights on the building make the approach quite magical. Our waitress was engaging and quickly picked up on the needs for our elderly parents making the experience wonderful for all. The food is all fresh and delicately flavored enhancing the natural ingredients: salmon wrapped scallops with a balsamic drizzle (appetizer shared by 4), superb green salad with homemade dressings on the side, a crab cake 90% crab meat, tasty fried oysters, shrimp scampi seasoned with a light hand allowing the shrimp, garlic, the in-season tomatoes, and fresh herbs be appreciated separately, and a duck breast perfectly roasted. The veggies, roasted potatoes and rice we perfectly cooked. Do no miss the homemade peach and ginger ice cream We asked to meet the chef who clearly enjoys and knows food. Although we drove there, they provide transportation to/from the local marinas. If this restaurant were in an urban setting or if it's secret gets out, reservations will be hard to get.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank dogorman53
Richmond, Virginia
“Talented Chef, Welcoming Staff and a Local Vibe”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Toby's is a nice restaurant hidden in a clearing off the main road in Deltaville, Va. If a local didn't tell you about it, there's a good chance you'd never find it. As you drive up the treed lane to Toby's at dusk you will probably see deer and wild turkeys walking in the back yard on the other side of the parking lot. That's a nice surprise.

Once you enter the restaurant, there is a charming ambience that comes from the graceful aging of an old southern home that now serves as a hangout for Deltaville locals in the know.

I enjoyed dinner at Toby's twice this week. From the quality of my experience, I'd say that whoever is cooking in the kitchen is a professional chef who loves food and cooking. A number of the menu items reflect a distinct French influence. Everything that I ordered was delicious and the dishes I saw on other tables looked wonderful. My first dinner was fresh cut calamari made from the large west coast style hand cut squid steaks. The Greek salad was authentic and loaded with feta cheese. A cold beer completed the meal.The next night, I ordered a mixed salad, mussels marinera and a well prepared European style braised pork shank. This was served with mashed potatoes and a garden fresh veggie medley. The made from scratch marinera sauce was superb. Even though a pork shank is typically a winter comfort food, I ordered it because I haven't seen it on a menu since the last time I visited the restaurant street in the Latin Quarter of Paris. I was not dissapointed.

Ordering was difficult because of the number of available tasty choices. But, I did notice another patron eating a large bowl of ultra creamy New England clam chowder chock full of clams and potato chunks. I'll sample that next time.

On my first visit, Phyllis, the bartender welcomed me, asked my name and remembered it. On my second visit, she greeted me by name. She has a warm smile and takes good care of her customers. I appreciated the personal touch coupled with great service and good food. The waitress in the dining room was also taking good care of her customers.

Toby's is quiet, out of the way and attracts locals. If they put a sign on the main road, they could attract more customers from the transient yacht folk who visit Deltaville during the boating season. But, somehow I think that the staff and customers like Toby's just the way it is.

Having discovered Toby's I can now avoid the loud 'fried food' seafood restaurant that sits nearby on the main road.

Toby's is a quiet oasis. Newcomers will be greeted as old friends and well fed. What's not to like?

• Visited August 2012