“Dominator”
Review of Kings Dominion

Kings Dominion
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Doswell
More attraction details
Owner description: Grab your friends and family and come to Kings Dominion - Virginia's ultimate 400-acre destination for summertime fun! With more than 60 rides, shows and attractions including the largest coaster collection on the East Coast, Planet Snoopy, our Peanut's themed children's area and WaterWorks, a 20-acre water playground which is included in your park admission. Kings Dominion is Virginia's only destination offering two parks for the price of one. We have everything you need for creating lifelong memories. Our 40th Celebration starts in 2014 and offers magnificent experiences you won't find anywhere else! While it's our birthday, this celebration is all about you! We've taken all of the thrills, chills, smiles and dazzling moments of our history and crafted them into a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Don't miss it! To end the day, stay for Dominion at Dusk - a KD40 Nighttime Celebration! Start off with the vibrant lights and sounds of Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular and the stunning water and lights display of our fully refurbished International Street Fountain. The party really gets going as the Grande Bandstand and the midways of International Street come to life with our all-new block party, Ignite the Night! featuring an impressive cast singing some of your favorite hits! And the party isn't complete without a magnificent display of fireworks lighting up the nighttime skies above the park. Open daily during the summer; weekends in the spring and fall.
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This is a great place to come to have fun. We came on June 9 on a Monday and it was perfect the weather was cloudy and not to hot. Didn't have to wait in long lines some of the rides we rode over and over no line at all. The Dominator was my favorite. If you haven't been make sure you go.

There are newer reviews for Kings Dominion

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Took three kids and four adults to KD on Friday, June 13. We walked on to just about every ride with virtually no wait. I can't believe how short the lines were. Going back to the amusement park of my youth with my own kids was a special time. It's really held up well for a 40-year-old park.

Great park for coaster lovers. 10+ legitimate coasters plus a number of other thrill rides. KD is fantastic for kids 10+ who are willing to ride the big attractions but there are limited options beyond Planet Snoopy for the younger kids who want to ride coasters. My adventurous 5-year-old felt a bit left out of the fun.

Park staff could be more clear about ride closures during and after afternoon thunderstorms, though staff was generally friendly and helpful.

Food prices are silly. Pack a lunch in your car and duck out midday to refuel.

Park could use hand-sanitizer dispensers spread throughout the park like I've seen at others.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I am not big on roller coasters...infact I don't ride them at all... makes me giddy and horrible..so I was delighted there were slow/non-thrill rides out there too.. I rode around 15 of them ( yes including carousel and kiddy stuff) and felt satisfied.. Wish they would expand on the family rides.. and allow adults w/o kids (like me) on them as well.. Hence full points to them on variety of
The only thing that made me mad was they shut down the waterpark way before time, giving rain & 'thunder' as an excuse... it rained for like 30 mins.. and ofcourse they had to shut down everything... but it became bright and sunny immediately after that.. i mean really hot (weird summer i tell ya),, and they would not open!!! There was full 2hours left and WE PAID FOR IT.. THEY did not refund (unfairly high) locker fees either... Even the rest of the park was closed for way too long... even indoor rides.. what a rip off!!...
Anyways, I was done for the day anyways and hence rested my legs as I watched a performance on stage... that was entertaining ( though more teenager kind)...
Apart from lockers (that was crazy expensive- very unfairly so), the food and every other accesories were pricey.. We liked Hungry Hippo- had lunch there and snacked at Chik-fill-A... For some reason the day we went (friday before summer special events)... many rides were periodically closed... and same for food joints...that was also not fair...We paid for it man! Good part- no lines at all!!- wish disney had some of those days..
Excepting I lady-staff who was extremely rude at the kids boat ride, others were pretty nice... One of them voluntarily took a great pic of ours.. Bathrooms were fairly clean.
Also don't believe the thrill levels on the map and website.. the 4 and 5 s may be consistent ( didn't do them), but 2 and 3 are messed up... try it and judge yourself.
So overall I am happy..but mad as well.. Will still recommend it.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Went to KD two weeks ago and we had a blast. The rides were great. My 7 year old had fun on the kiddie rides and the bigger roller coasters. The only complaint I have regarding rides is that the wooden one (I think it's called the grizzly) was WAY TOO JERKY. I literally had a headache after that ride (thankfully it was the last one we rode), and my headache continued the whole next day! DO NOT ride that ride!
The food was expensive, like all theme parks, but we were able to save some money at KD by eating pizza for lunch, and Subway for dinner. We also saved money by buying the refillable cup. BUY IT RIGHT WHEN YOU WALK IN THE PARK. There was a lady selling them right as you enter the park and pass security. She sold them empty and they were only $9.99 AND you get free refills all day. If you do not buy it there, then it will be more expensive everywhere else ($15- unless you buy 3 at the same time, then you will get the $9.99 price). My family just shared one cup and kept refilling it for free the whole day. :)
We spent about an hour at the water park area, and that was fun and a nice bonus.
The park is pretty well kept except for the bathrooms. It seemed like every women's restroom stunk like pee and although we saw them being cleaned, they still stunk and were dirty.
All in all, we had a great time and I would love to go back. We had a good first experience and got lucky our 1st visit, due to the park not being overly crowded.

5  Thank emmam731
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Are you tired of spending so much to take the kids to a pool in Northern Virginia and they do have some cool ones - but for a family of four - its 50 dollars a pop without concessions - plus if you're divorced and only see your kids on a schedule - you can't seem to justify a summer pool pass
So here's what to do - in September buy the season pass to Kings Dominion - when you think about the driving its only slightly further - Plus your kids are on their devices anyway - do they even notice if you drive 20 extra minutes- for a much bigger waterpark/pool experience? Plus if you buy the passes in the fall you can use them once in the fall and start using them the next season.
With the pass the parking is free and you can hit some rides and go to the pool - you can start hitting the rides in April.
The slides are great they have two huge wave pools (generally plenty of chairs too!)
The only drawback is the lazy river - you can only go around once and there's always a line.
I like King's Dominion generally and i really don't like amusement parks - the nice thing about a season pass is it changes your whole mindset at an amusement park - you don't have to rush to do anything - you just pick and choose and maybe only ride two rides - a trip to the park becomes actually relaxing!
If you have kids in late elementary school and middle school its a great solution.
It seems generally a pretty chill park - it's never insanely crowded
Bring your own food - the concession prices are insane
There are definitely places to eat when driving down or driving back - you can hit Dairy Queen, Steak and Shake, Perkins - so that's nice too!
Enjoy the Park - and if you like to ogle "gruesome" tattoos no shortage of that!

2  Thank helen s