“Great park but more signage throughout is needed”
Review of Kings Dominion

Kings Dominion
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Doswell
More attraction details
Owner description: Grab your friends and family and come to Kings Dominion - Virginia's ultimate 400-acre destination for summertime fun! With more than 60 rides, shows and attractions including the largest coaster collection on the East Coast, Planet Snoopy, our Peanut's themed children's area and WaterWorks, a 20-acre water playground which is included in your park admission. Kings Dominion is Virginia's only destination offering two parks for the price of one. We have everything you need for creating lifelong memories. Our 40th Celebration starts in 2014 and offers magnificent experiences you won't find anywhere else! While it's our birthday, this celebration is all about you! We've taken all of the thrills, chills, smiles and dazzling moments of our history and crafted them into a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Don't miss it! To end the day, stay for Dominion at Dusk - a KD40 Nighttime Celebration! Start off with the vibrant lights and sounds of Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular and the stunning water and lights display of our fully refurbished International Street Fountain. The party really gets going as the Grande Bandstand and the midways of International Street come to life with our all-new block party, Ignite the Night! featuring an impressive cast singing some of your favorite hits! And the party isn't complete without a magnificent display of fireworks lighting up the nighttime skies above the park. Open daily during the summer; weekends in the spring and fall.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I enjoyed my first and final visit to KD Friday afternoon.Thankfully, we took advantage of the 41 per person discount rate that was only offered this past weekend.I've driven past the park several times en route to my sisters apartment in nc and id always dreamed about patronizing it.I finally got my chance and i was not disappointed in the rides.Volcano, flight, the stuntcoaster were my favs.I was very disappointed in the intimidator. i wanted to ride that one first but it wasnt as good as i thought it was going to be.Flight of fear best ride in park.Probably one of the best thrill rides ive ever rode.Park is beautifully landscaped and i love all the shade.However, i have three detractions regarding kd.first, no signage whatsoevr to indicate exactly where u are in the park. No signs that show "you are here" or this is how to find the rides.very few signs you had to rely on the park map.KD managment definitely needs to invest in more signage.Second issue-park food is incredibly overpriced!*8 for a bbq sandwhich. and i had a cheesesteak fries and coke- $15 per person per meal.Damn!Who wants to pay that.Im from Northeast Pa and at Knoebels you can eat three meals for that price.Third and final issue with KD- rudeness and complacency of staff. I asked staff questions in the park about attractions they looked at me like i was an alien. either they didn't respond or didnt care.they wrent busy either.Also, after riding the intimidator, i was cussed out by the ride operator because my harness for whatever reason wouldn't release.I unhooked the buckle, and then attempted to push down on the lap bar hoping that it would release automatically.The operator started yelling at me " push down on red pushd down on red!" Red what? He shouldve said push down on harness that is red in color. finally, he snapped and said "push down on f uckin red!" whoa! no need to cuss.
Since i will not drive down 95 through virgnia for a long time to come, i had an enjoyable afternoon on the rides.5 hours of fun i nthe park is enough for one person.its a great park and beautifully landscaped,but once is enough. I probably won't return.i rode all the rides. besides, dorney and hershey have the same type of rides and for much less money during its busiest months. KD regular admission is 55 or 60 thats way too much. ill visit dorney again before kd. its not worth driving an additional 5 hours to kd. again, between cost of hotel, food concessions, admissions etc for a family your talking close to 1K or more. no amusement park is worth spending that sort of dough. ken

1  Thank Kenneth L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,561)

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We have a 12 and 5 y/o. We went on Friday the 13th. The park wasn't busy at all. I found out school was in session still in VA so that's probably one reason.

Planet Snoopy is perfect for the little kids. There were enough rides and entertainment to keep the youngest busy all day. The roller coasters and other rides are great. There were storms that day so a lot of rides closed for a little over an hour. We did bumper cars and got something to eat during that time. Park staff were friendly and helpful. The stunt car roller coaster and log ride were a favorites of ours. I gave it 4 stars due to the fact the park closed at 8PM on a Friday and quite a few snack stands and photo things were closed. Since it was our first time as a family going on a ride together we wanted the picture from the log ride. Also, we waited for an hour to go on Flight of Fear and we were next when the ride closed for mechanical issues...again. The staff on that ride in red shirts were obnoxious so my daughter and I moved on. The signage throughout the park could have been better too.

It is well worth it to get the souvenir cup. You get free refills for the day and .99 refills if you go back during the season. We all shared one. Considering that 1 bottle of water is $4.20 it more than pays for its self by the end of the day. Use the eiffel tower to help you navigate too.

1  Thank Sara B
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This is a great place to come to have fun. We came on June 9 on a Monday and it was perfect the weather was cloudy and not to hot. Didn't have to wait in long lines some of the rides we rode over and over no line at all. The Dominator was my favorite. If you haven't been make sure you go.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Took three kids and four adults to KD on Friday, June 13. We walked on to just about every ride with virtually no wait. I can't believe how short the lines were. Going back to the amusement park of my youth with my own kids was a special time. It's really held up well for a 40-year-old park.

Great park for coaster lovers. 10+ legitimate coasters plus a number of other thrill rides. KD is fantastic for kids 10+ who are willing to ride the big attractions but there are limited options beyond Planet Snoopy for the younger kids who want to ride coasters. My adventurous 5-year-old felt a bit left out of the fun.

Park staff could be more clear about ride closures during and after afternoon thunderstorms, though staff was generally friendly and helpful.

Food prices are silly. Pack a lunch in your car and duck out midday to refuel.

Park could use hand-sanitizer dispensers spread throughout the park like I've seen at others.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I am not big on roller coasters...infact I don't ride them at all... makes me giddy and horrible..so I was delighted there were slow/non-thrill rides out there too.. I rode around 15 of them ( yes including carousel and kiddy stuff) and felt satisfied.. Wish they would expand on the family rides.. and allow adults w/o kids (like me) on them as well.. Hence full points to them on variety of
The only thing that made me mad was they shut down the waterpark way before time, giving rain & 'thunder' as an excuse... it rained for like 30 mins.. and ofcourse they had to shut down everything... but it became bright and sunny immediately after that.. i mean really hot (weird summer i tell ya),, and they would not open!!! There was full 2hours left and WE PAID FOR IT.. THEY did not refund (unfairly high) locker fees either... Even the rest of the park was closed for way too long... even indoor rides.. what a rip off!!...
Anyways, I was done for the day anyways and hence rested my legs as I watched a performance on stage... that was entertaining ( though more teenager kind)...
Apart from lockers (that was crazy expensive- very unfairly so), the food and every other accesories were pricey.. We liked Hungry Hippo- had lunch there and snacked at Chik-fill-A... For some reason the day we went (friday before summer special events)... many rides were periodically closed... and same for food joints...that was also not fair...We paid for it man! Good part- no lines at all!!- wish disney had some of those days..
Excepting I lady-staff who was extremely rude at the kids boat ride, others were pretty nice... One of them voluntarily took a great pic of ours.. Bathrooms were fairly clean.
Also don't believe the thrill levels on the map and website.. the 4 and 5 s may be consistent ( didn't do them), but 2 and 3 are messed up... try it and judge yourself.
So overall I am happy..but mad as well.. Will still recommend it.