Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Doswell
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We have spent two nights here three years apart during two trips up the east coast. Clean, great staff, quiet rooms. We made the mistake of staying at a Day's Inn in Petersburg that night and we left the same night after seeing how filthy the rooms were. Accidentally arriving at this hotel once again was such a relief. Our next trip south we will definitely stop here! Thank you!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed one night at the Country Inn with my family after spending a day at Kings Dominion. Kings Dominion is literally across the street from the inn. We loved it. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel and rooms are clean. The water pressure was light, but ok. They provide a microwave and a refrigerator which was needed because we had food and drinks in a cooler. They also provide a buffet style breakfast. The food was ok and sufficed. There's a small indoor pool which seemed clean. We didn't use it. Nothing extravagant, but nice and comfortable which was all we needed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Let me start by saying the folks who operate this hotel franchise do an outstanding job. The room was spotless. All of the amenities one would expect we're available. Staff was attentive and helpful. The price for a room in a resort-style destination (adjacent to Kings Dominion) was very reasonable. Nice indoor pool and jacuzzi, and while the free breakfast seemed generous, the seating area was too small to accommodate all of the hungry people. The only negative aspect relates to the location of a rail line. Train tracks run directly behind the hotel, so that rooms on the backside of the main hallway are about 20' from the tracks. An early morning freight train feels and sounds as if its coming right through the room. Other than that, this would be a 5 star recommendation.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 15 August 2013

First of all, we had a guaranteed reservation for a room with 2 queen beds. when we got there, they didn't have one for us, so the man checking us in assured us we were "upgraded" to a THREE HUNDRED DOLLAR A NIGHT suite. Well, this so-called upgrade instead of a nice comfy bed for my kids, had an uncomfortable pullout sofa bed. we had to pull the comforter off our bed to make it a little better for the kids. the 2nd night we pull the mattress completely out of the sofa and begged for extra blankets to cushion it. so we paid for our kids to sleep on the floor. And i just looked online, and that room wasn't $300 a night, try $130. I wish we hadn't gotten there after the kids bedtime, so we could've been a little more demanding. And i had to leave notes for housekeeping asking for more soap. The train only woke my husband and I the first night, thank goodness, so that wasn't really an issue. The breakfasts were good, and the location is excellent for kings dominion, and we enjoyed the indoor pool when it rained one morning. All in all, if we would've gotten the beds we were supposed to, it would've been a much better experience. I guess if you don't care not getting what you reserved, this will do.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My family and I stayed for one night while we visited kings dominion, it was very close and convenient to the park. We had a one bedroom king suite and the room was nice and offered updated appliances and furniture. The bed was very comfortable. The pool is a little smaller than what I thought it was going to be from the picture online but is decent enough size to take a quick dip (it only goes up to 5ft). The whirl pool was ok but the jets kept going on and off while inside. The desk clerk was nice but was disappointed when she said that the only room she had available was in the back and we probably will hear the train pass... it wouldn't be a problem but I was traveling with a 10 month old and wanted to avoid that and I booked the room online 3 months in advance and supplied all ages when reserving the room. The train woke my husband at 6am but did not wake my son or myself but everything else was perfect with our stay and recommend to all.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from railroad tracks
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephy3026
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Overall the hotel was what you would generally expect from a County Inn. However, the hotel itself is mere feet from active railroad tracks that have trains travelling on them in the middle of the night. I was awakened at 4:00 am and 6:00 am by a train that literally shook our room, and I am not a light sleeper. If staying here, you should request a room on the opposite side of the hotel, which may possibly alleviate some of the disturbance; however, I cannot guarantee that fact.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far from the railroad tracks as possible.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 3Adam3
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My family stayed here while visiting Kings Dominion for the weekend. The hotel is directly across the street from the park. We were able to leave the park before it closed to beat the "masses" out but viewed the fireworks from the hotel parking lot. The front desk staff was very nice. Check in went swiftly and our room was good for our short stay. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean and a decent size.

Our room faced the back of the hotel where the train tracks are. Luckily we never saw or heard the train until we were leaving on Sunday afternoon. The pool was small but in relation to the size of the hotel I think it's perfect. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We personally didn't see the train until we were leaving the hotel; however, it was loud as it w...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doswell
La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 13 in Ashland
Hampton Inn Richmond - North / Ashland
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)? Share your experiences!