Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Doswell
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My family was travelling in for Spring Break for Kings Dominion fun. Initially the check in process was very pleasant. Young lady went above and beyond to accommodate our needs. Someone in our party was physically disabled. She did mention that the hotel was already overbooked, but we should not be affected because our reservation was online. Needless to say, check in was okay. Room appeared to be clean and okay as we were focused on catching shuttle to Kings Dominion. We unpacked, and stored food in refrigerator. We turned it up to highest setting expecting it to be cold upon our return. That was not the case when we came back. Immediately I called front desk to report the problem. Young lady came to check it out and even said "Yes the fridge is on, but not cold." I said "Can it swapped out." She talked to the night manager. The band-aid solution was to turn it off so it could reset it should work afterwards (like I don't own a fridge at home). I did not argue the point because I was tired. So instead I put nothing but bottled water in fridge went to sleep. Next morning water still room temperature. Called front desk and was basically told I had to wait until maintenance comes in at 9 a.m. When I disputed the fact that I was greatly inconvenienced I was then told that I someone could address my concerns no later than 11 a.m. It clicked in my head "Hey I am on vacation and should not have to wait for service calls in a hotel." By the way paying a little over $350.00 for three nights." When I mentioned that I was going to check out then I was told the computer system was down, and me checking out would be difficult. WHAT! To make a long story short after I had to show my behind at the front desk I was only charged for the one night my family stayed. The manager wrote something by hand acknowledging that I would only be charged for one night. He tried to say that he would have to charge me for two nights, but when I mentioned court, he immediately changed his tune. On the shuttle to Kings Dominion another guest was talking about how their rooms were filthy and sofa couch had urine stains on the mattress pad. GROSS! Although I did not encounter that....Wow I am glad I went with my gut feeling and left. We went to a neighboring hotel (Laquinta Inn) and had an AWESOME TIME! The general manager was so accommodating and allowed us to check in early without additional charges because of the trouble we had at Country Inn and Suites.

Room Tip: Make sure you're getting what has been advertised to you especially if you get room online. I o...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank hubbymeand4blsns
countryinndoswell, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion), responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

On behalf of Country Inn & Suites Doswell, kindly accept our sincere apologies for not being able to provide you the high standard of hospitality which is the general norm of our hotel. We genuinely regret the inconvenience caused to you because of this.
I am sure you would pardon the mistake on our part this time and would continue your business association with us.
We reassure you of our co-operation and look forward to a more positive association with you in the future as well.
Thanking You,
Sincerely
Aman Parekh

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My family and I had never been to kings dominion and we decided to try it out. We came in from upstate NY. When we checked into the hotel it was late and the woman ok duty was rude to say the least. Her supervisor was so helpful and he went to the days inn to get us a coat since we had 5 in our room. We had a two day stay and again the woman at the front desk was just horrible. I recommend they keep her off the front desk. I waited till morning and Gino was so helpful he made sure we could stay in our room and that we were comfortable. We even had some kids above us banging till 100 am and he took care of it. Overall if they keep Gino at the front desk you'll have a great start and end. Location was so great and shuttle service is well worth it. I was able to leave my husband and kids and go back to the room and rest. Best location for the money...

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was very happy with my stay here. The staff, and especially the check-in staff were all very helpful and nice. Our room was clean with plenty of towels. We asked for an infant crib, and it was brought to us within about 10 minutes of our check-in. Our kids used the pool, which was nice and warm. They had a good time. It's a very convenient location, literally across the street from Kings Dominion. The breakfast was very crowded, but the food selection was good for such a small hotel. I would definitely stay here, again, because it was a good value.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mary h
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Everything here exceeded our expectations. Very clean, comfortable bed/pillows, wonderful staff, lots of breakfast choices & free cookies!!!!
We stopped for one night for a good nights' sleep and that's exactly what we got!
Great value and Geno could not have been nicer.
We will definitely be back!
Thanks for a great experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Got a early check in, they charged me $10.00 more for that even though the room was empty. Room was clean, quite, and updated. Lobby was clean and updated. Check in was quick and the receptionist was nice. Would consider staying there again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nightstalker66
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This was first class all the way! Beautiful room,comfortable bed and very quiet. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent and the whole surroundings were extremely pleasant. Excellent value for the price. One of the nicest hotels we've ever stayed at. Have paid more and received much less! I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: We had a second floor room and it was excellent!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol O
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Breakfest Was Great Room Was Clean Next To Kings Dominion Went in 2011Staff Were Nice Safe the red carpet in Suffolk was nothing like this was durity failing aprtet staff was maen never agin at red carpet inn

Room Tip: Kids Activites And Resturant None On Site Just To let you know
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
countryinndoswell, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion), responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear Mr Eric

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel . We are excited to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Doswell
La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ashland - Hanover, VA
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#4 of 13 in Ashland

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)? Share your experiences!