La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Doswell
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My sister and I stayed here for two night the past weekend while we went to King's Dominion for Halloween Haunt. This is not my first time staying at this hotel, but it will be the last. I've stayed here before back when the people who own it used to run it as a Comfort Inn & Suites and it looks like it's never going to change.

Pros:
Check in was fast.

The rest of it was nothing but disgust.

I noticed a few things like someone else's hair on the towels and dirty spots, but nothing too bad because we didn't have time to really check out the room since we basically just threw down our bags and headed to the park. By the time we got back we were so tired that we just fell into our beds. Same thing the next morning, got ready and headed straight for the park. It wasn't until we got back that we noticed just how disgusting the room was because my sister lost an earring that we looked for.

The things we found were dog food on the floor (we didn't bring any dogs with us) along with chip crumbs and peanuts (we didn't eat in the room either). I would like to point out that they weren't hidden behind things like the refrigerator or something, they were in plain view. We just didn't notice them at first because we had thrown our bags on top of most of the stuff when we got into the room. It was like housekeeping only cleaned the major traffic areas in the room. The duvet covers also had not been washed and had caked on stuff all over them that I do not wish to know what it was and the worst of all was the USED CONDOM we found behind the bed. I wish we had done so right then and there, but we decided to wait until we checked out the next morning to bring this all up because it was late and we were tired from walking around King's Dominion all day.

When we brought it up at check out we were told that there was nothing they were going to do about it since we didn't bring it up when we checked in, but that they will have the general manager call us when he got back on Monday. We reluctantly agreed, I left my contact number, and we left. It's now Wednesday and I still haven't received any phone call from the general manager.

I really wish we had taken pictures.

My advice, if you're going to King's Dominion, is to book a hotel in either Ashland or Glen Allen. It's not too far away, the hotels are nice, and you can probably get a better deal.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah G
Garrett H, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Sarah...

We are very sorry for your negative experience at La Quinta Doswell. Though you said that you will never stay with us again, we do hope that you will reconsider. We are under new management (officially as of 11/01/2013), and there will be many many changes made under the new leadership team. We absolutely understand that there are multiple issues that need addressing. And change does take time. But we are committed to turning this hotel around. We guarantee you that if you choose to stay with us next year, or the next time you visit Kings Dominion, you will be impressed at how far our property has come, and the service and hospitality that we provide. Things will be different...no question about it. We invite you to reach out to us directly after November 1. The phone number is the same: 804-876-6900. We want to show you that we genuinely mean what we say. Again, we are VERY sorry to hear of your not-so-great experience with us. Things will be different moving forward, and we invite you to be a part of the change by giving us another chance.

A TripAdvisor Member
Newark, Delaware, USA
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This hotel was perfect. My family and I were able to stay in the same room - we had a party of 8. The only down fall was there was only 1 bathroom but that was not a major factor, we made it work. Plus we new that ahead of time. Check in was quick and the staff was friendly. We went to King Dominion which we could have walked but it was a light mist out.The price was perfect, I would definitely stay and recommend this hotel.

S.W
From DE

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

We are so happy to hear of your great experience with us! We strive to be the best hotel in Doswell, and be one of the best in the Richmond / Fredericksburg area. You may not know, but officially as of 11/01/2013, we are under new management. So if things were excellent for you before, prepare to be totally impressed at what we have to offer when you visit us the next time! Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us! We hope that you have safe travels, and we look forward to seeing you the next time you visit Kings Dominion, and the Doswell area.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We recently stayed here after a trip to Kings Dominion. The hotel has a great location directly across the street from the park. The hotel was clean and exactly what I expect from a La Quinta. My only complaint is that unless you let the door slam it does not close completely and you have to push it to be sure it closes. We had a short stay and no complaints at all.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room you may want to ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
A La Quinta traveler
Ocala, Florida, USA
Reviewed 28 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We drove from DC to the La Quinta Inn for a two-day, one-night trip to Kings Dominion. Since I could not face I95 twice in one day, we decided to stay the night, and it was well worth it. There are several hotels clustered across the street from Kings Dominion -- so, they are all the same distance (and the same level of average). You do have to walk across the parking lot to get there, but it only took 10 minutes or so. It's a mere fraction of the walking you'll do once inside -- plus, parking is free at the hotel for both check-in and check-out days! The hotel itself it unremarkable. The room was fine, but the breakfast and coffee were among the worst I've witnessed. We took one reviewer's advice and went to Starbucks just inside the main entrance of Kings Dominion for breakfast and coffee.

One kudos for the staff. We accidentally left our Kings Dominion Tickets in our room , checked out of the hotel, and walked over to the park (don't ask). We quickly realized $100+ problem when we got to the front gate. A call to the front desk and the manager met me at the edge of the parking lot with our tickets. A happy ending for all.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2013

This hotel was by far the worst hotel I ever had the misfortune to stay in. When we checked in and got off the elevator on the second floor we were overcome with the smell of curry throughout the floor. Once inside the room we noticed the stains all over the comforter. I called the front desk and was brought what they considered a clean one. Not only was it not clean they handed it to me and told me to change it. That was extremely unprofessional in my opinion and not the way you expect to be treated in a hotel. The black flies throughout the hotel and especially the breakfast area was horrific. My children's cereal was stale and not sure what the substance they called eggs were. I definitely would not recommend staying there and I definitely would NEVER stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank nanscuzzi
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I had approximately 6 thousand dollars of camera equipment stolen and when I went to the front desk to let them know they became very nervous and it raised my suspicions. When I asked about their surveillance I was told they didn't have any, when I pointed to the cameras in the lobby I was quickly told they don't work. Well at the desk you can see the video monitor and the system and then was told well we don't know how to use it. Strange to hear coming from a hotel manager. I then stayed because they agreed to view it after another guest asked what was going on and he said I saw that guy pointing to a staff member with a backpack like the one I had with the equipment. He quickly disappeared and then was told we didn't see anything on the cameras and we can't let you see it. After corporate being notified by me and the local police, all were denied to view the surveillance and were told it was on a loop and its all erased now anyway and were also not given a copy of the surveillance from even the hotels monitoring company which they have. I was informed by the Police that the Laquinta in Doswell doesnt have the best track record. Besides all this and not getting anywhere with the Laquinta staff in Doswell I wasn't helped much either from Laquinta Corporate. I was brushed off to their insurance company Erie Insurance and of course after wasting my time they couldn't help me either. Besides being Liars and Thieves, the hotel room was filthy, we had to ask to have our bed sheets changed when we first arrived in our room for we had crumbs in the bed and coffee stains. Also if you drop anything don't look behind the coaches the filth was terrible. Other guests in our party had also asked for room changes and to have rooms cleaned up. The second floor had such a strong odor of curry when you exited the elevator throughout our entire stay. Sorry Laquinta I nor any of my baseball team will ever be staying with you and we have removed Laquinta off our places to stay with our organization which has 26 teams that travel the eastern seaboard.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Baseballphotographer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doswell
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)
Centerstone Inn
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 13 in Ashland
Hampton Inn Richmond - North / Ashland
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion? Share your experiences!