“A real gem that is worth the trip out!”

The Palisades Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Eggleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Preston, United Kingdom
“A real gem that is worth the trip out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

This place is well worth the journey into the countryside.

This is one of the most delicious meals we have eaten in the USA! I cannot recommend it enough. M
We had 3 courses and each one was better than than the next! The steak tender and cooked to perfection. The pork delicious and spicy. The staff attentive but not too much. I cannot wait to visit next time I'm in Virginia. Go. You will not be disappointed! Thanks so much for a really fantastic meal before we had to return home to the UK.

• Visited September 2013

Cincinnati
“if you like out of the way and local, make this trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

YHe food was way above expectations in this simple country restaurantn albeit an upscale one. We shared a brie and pear tart for an appetizer, I had a excellent black and blue salad, followed by a stuffed quail with lemon risotto while my wife had Asian barbecue, which was slow cooked pork belly in a great sauce with outstanding polenta. .The country band was good and fun the energy in the place was enjoyable.

We will certainly go back.

• Visited August 2013
Boone, North Carolina
“good.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

The food was good, but the service was not. I was disapointed that the hostess didn't seem to know if she or the bartender (very young lady behind the bar) was supposed to be waiting on us-- neither did, so we got up to order and ask for things when we needed them. The guy playing the guitar was so fun that waiting 2 hours for a steak and salad wasn't too bad :) it got kind of humerous actually... the place got packed and no one seemed interested in cleaning our table or getting our check so we just enjoyed the music.

please note: they are also not consistent about the "reservation policy." A website encouraged reservations, so we called to make one. The hostess said we didn't need one and there was plenty of tables. ok. We got there and she ask us if we had made reservations... ? I said no, but we had called. She offered us "the only table she had" (and seemed upset that we had not made reservations). I

I am not sure if I would go back-- a bit pricey ($40 for a steak and salad + 1 appetizer) and I am not sure I want to risk spending so much time there again. The concept is good-- use available buildings in remote/rural areas to create a more sustainable economy. I hope they get it together because it has potential. best of luck!

• Visited July 2013
smuldoon, Owner at The Palisades Restaurant, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
I apologize that your night seemed so hectic and not well organized. We are going through many changes which is not meant to be seen on the outside but evidently from the many comments it is. If I seemed upset that you didn't have a reservation, that was not what I intended as over half of our patrons don't have reservations but since some do I need to ask if you have one. It is difficult to know how to explain the reservation policy since we do both and I need to work on making it clear. As for the price of the food. All of our steaks are hand cut and local and I try hard to keep the prices in check. At any rate, thank you for the review and we will work on these issues you have addressed. I do hope you'll come back when you are in the area and give us another chance. Thanks,
Shaena
Reston, Virginia
“Ask for Directions. You'll be Glad you Did.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Last Friday, we arranged to have dinner with friends who live in Radford, VA. When they told us they would pick us up at 5 pm for a 6 pm dinner reservation, we wondered how far out in the mountains they were planning to take us. Pretty far, it turns out. But it also turns out to have been well worth the trip.

The Palisades is located in a former hardware store, on the New River in the tiny hamlet of Eggleston, Virginia. Yet despite its remote location, The Palisades is a popular local spot. We definitely needed our reservation.

The menu is small, eclectic, and fresh. The dishes we ate all featured local ingredients, and tasted delicious. Our appetizer, large enough for two, was basically a brie and pear quesadilla, served with a side of tomato jam. The flavor was fresh, tangy and unlike any quesadilla we had ever eaten. For her entree my wife had the fresh rainbow trout, served with a side of mashed sweet potatoes. I had an 8-ounce ribeye steak, cooked to order, served with garlic mashed potatoes. For dessert, we shared a fresh pear cobbler with a scoop of ice cream. All of our food was prepared perfectly.

The restaurant offers live music from local musicians, adding to the Southwest Virginia flavor.

The Palisades also features an extensive collection of bottled beer, and a wine list worthy of any upscale urban restaurant. What it does not feature is urban restaurant prices. We shared a bottle of Cline Zinfandel, an appetizer and dessert, and we each had our own entree. The bill came to $83, including tax and tip.

The Palisades offers its guests delicious food and wine, with entertainment, in a relaxed atmosphere, all at "comfortable" prices. Is it worth the trip? Yes!

1 Thank JusticeTwo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
“Good food but inconsistent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

This restaurant is at the end of a beautiful drive through the Virginia countryside. Situated in an old store, the architecture and decor are charming. Had the watermelon and feta salad and the trout with gouda grits. All were delicious. The only criticism is that every plate, regardless of entree, came with a half-ear of corn which looked like something you'd find at a family buffet. Would have been much nicer to have a green vegetable of some sort. Also, the service was extremely slow. Lots of time between courses and a second glass of wine that I requested at the beginning of the main course didn't arrive until after dinner, even though I saw it sitting on the bar for some time before it made its way to our table.

• Visited July 2013
Thanks for your input. The corn was an experiment, an obviously bad one which we will not duplicate. We are in the process of training a whole new crew and will address these particular situations so that we do not have them happen again. Thanks for the feedback, and we hope you will see us again if you are ever back in this location. Shaena