“Good choice”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Emporia
Hartford, Connecticut
“Good choice”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a road trip back from Florida. The hotel itself was typical of a Holiday Inn. Not 5 star hotel for sure, but clean and everything you would expect from a holiday inn. The pool was clean, the workout room was limited in equipment but clean, the beds were comfy and we all got a good nights sleep. The am breakfast offerings were very good. We especially liked the make your own pancake machine!! The lady working that area seemed overwhelmed and although she was trying she just wasn't doing a great job keeping things replenished. Maybe getting her someone to help would be better. We probably added a good 10-15 minutes to our time in there just waiting for her to replenish things, on a busy Sunday morning. Overall, the hotel suited our needs and we would definitely recommend and return.

Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Fallston, Maryland
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here for an overnight trip to see family members. The staff at this location were truly accommodating and made sure we were content with our room. The beds were comfortable and we had a decent sleep. While this location is within a small town, you still get that down-South feeling, in addition to the people you encounter.
For the cost of the room, the value was great. We were in close range of restaurants and areas to shop, if we needed.

1 Thank Star R
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 29 July 2014

First let me say that when I complained to the front desk, they did refund my room rate, in full. It was apparent that I was not the first guest to complain about this issue. I am fairly certain they were roaches, but either way they were bugs and there were many of them! My other issue is the fact when I emailed their corporate offices, I received a canned "sorry" email. I attempted to post a review on the Holiday Inn website and received another canned email saying I would be contacted within 24 hours.....never happened. No big surprise that my review never posted. I can't really say whether I will ever stay at a Holiday Inn Express property again because in fairness I have stayed at some of their properties that were outstanding. But I will certainly never rely on the their website reviews again, I will use a third party site to insure that I am getting accurate information.

1 Thank tle1980
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Emporia, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear tle1980,

Regards,

Karen C
Hazleton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed with the family on our way to Disney from Pennsylvania. The hotel was simple to find and provided a decent night's sleep. Although, I believe the price was rather high for the plain accommodations.

Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Decided we needed to stop on the way home from Myrtle Beach since it was already midnight. Never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express but thought it should be decent for $125. Called ahead and felt lucky to get "the last available" room. After some confusion at the front desk, we were told we were getting the "emergency" room. Brought our luggage in and thought the room looked clean. Unfortunately, noticed very quickly that the ac wasn't working. My husband checked the air filters and found them to be very dirty. As he was cleaning them the AC worked fine. That's when I saw the first bug in the bathroom. Dumped it in the toilet and walked into the room to see another one scurry across the floor. Ewww... In the next 5 minutes we killed at least 5 bugs. Decided to pack up and leave. Told the front desk why we were leaving and she nicely said...those aren't roaches...they are water bugs. Roaches...or water bugs...I don't care. We drove the rest of the way home.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jill O
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Emporia, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Jill O,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for writing a review about your experience. I am sorry to hear about the issues you may have experienced with your room accommodations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information about your experience.

We hope to hear from you very soon and be of further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Hickory, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The Holiday Inn Express is one of our favorite places to stay, so when we found ourselves near here for the night, we checked in, even though it is one of the more expensive motels at this exit. The hotel and the room appeared to be clean, as we have come to expect from Holiday Inn Express, so we were a little surprised the next morning when we killed two beetles in the bathroom and two more in the bedroom. They didn't appear to be cockroaches, but they were about the same size, only much slower. We complained to the front desk on our way out and the manager told us they were water bugs from some trees that they had cut down and that they were harmless. Whatever they were, I'm not too keen on paying over $130 for a night's stay and having to share the room with critters. Her spiel on the bugs seemed to be so practiced that I'm sure we were not the first to complain about them, and I doubt that we will be the last. I guess the thing that bothers me the most is that they were obviously aware of the problem, so why haven't they called in an exterminator?

Other than that, the room was a good size, appeared to be clean and we did get a good night's sleep. Much better than we would have gotten if we had been aware at the time that we were not alone in the room. There are fast food restaurants nearby, plus a couple of gas stations, although the cost of a gallon of gas at those stations was 43 cents more per gallon than it was at a local gas station a few miles further away from the Interstate.

One more thing to be aware of - the city of Emporia, Virginia, slaps a 10% city room tax on top of whatever the advertised rate is. That, along with the state of Virginia room tax will add nearly $18 to the advertised cost of the room.

If I had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I would have pushed on another exit or two in hopes of finding a bug-free hotel without the 10% additional Emporia city tax.

Room Tip: The hotel had a flood light on right below our window, which kept the room brighter than we would ha...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OldManjack
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Emporia, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear OldManjack,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding our hotel. It was a pleasure that you have chosen us for your recent stay and I am glad that we were able to meet your expectations when it comes to sleep quality. On the other hand, it is regrettable that your experience was not a 100% satisfactory. Your comments are highly appreciated and will certainly be used to improve on our end.

I hope that you give us another chance to provide you with a better stay in the future.

Faith R
San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The hotel is better than average.

PLUSES: The Staff is warm, friendly and respectful. Overall, the place is clean. The rooms are large with granite in the bathrooms. The room was very quiet! The furniture in the rooms is decent. The breakfast area was well stocked and pleasant.

NEGATIVES:
The public areas have Italian themed prints. These have clearly has not been updated recently. It is clean and appropriate just needs some drastic refreshing to hold up to newer hotels. Why they put a large glass table in tiny Lobby that houses bellcarts is beyond me. The Bellcarts are expected to maneuver by this large table -- maybe that is why there are 3 cracks on the edges of the table?? Surely, mgmt can make better decor/safety choices. My drain in the tub (room 323?) did not work properly -- the tub filled up with water while I was showering.

Overall, we would stay their again for the price. It was clean and comfortable, just missing wow.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank outpulsed
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Emporia, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear outpulsed,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am very pleased to hear that you found our rooms and staff commendable, and that you enjoyed our breakfast selection. On the other hand, we apologize if the lobby ambiance and condition of the bathroom did not completely suit your liking. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction.

Thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emporia
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Emporia
Best Western Emporia
Best Western Emporia
#5 of 12 in Emporia
Hilton Garden Inn Roanoke Rapids

Been to Holiday Inn Express Emporia? Share your experiences!