“Great place to escape the busy City life!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Faber
Acorn Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Faber B&B and Inns
Washington, DC
“Great place to escape the busy City life!”
Reviewed 11 July 2008

As a business traveler who spends >100 nights per year in a hotel this was a nice break away from the traditional Marriott-type properties with overpriced minibars and fancy concierge lounges....

The Inn is very well maintained and clean. The innkeepers are very nice and friendly people who enjoy life and are a great company during breakfast which is made fresh daily and includes homemade breads and fruit.

On my question what time was breakfast served the answer was "When do you need it?"

Overall the warmth, hospitality, and authenticity of this beautiful B&B have helped turn our 4th of July weekend into a great memory.

Bottom line - if you are looking for an upscale, luxurious hotel you may be better off staying elsewhere. However, if you want to experience a clean B&B, in a great location, with wonderful hosts then you should consider Acorn Inn.

• Liked — Clean, friendly staff, good location
  • Disliked — No private shower
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 14 April 2008

We just returned from 3 nights at the Acorn Inn. The rooms are very clean and our stay was very comfortable.

The first thing you have to do is leave your American modesty hangups and Denny's all you can eat breakfast appetite back home.

This is a European style Hostel. The rooms are small but have an incredible amount of shelves, hooks, and storage nooks to store everything (I always pack way too much stuff!)

Breakfast is European style...fresh baked breads and muffins, jams,fruit, coffee, oj, and milk. Stay elsewhere if you need eggs. bacon, biscuits and pancakes. The breads are incredible and the owners were extremely accommodating. Most of our group had to leave the Inn before 6:00 am every day so they made sure and had wonderful breads and jam ready for us and the coffee pot ready to just turn on.

I was honestly not thrilled about having to share bathrooms and showers since I hadn't had to do that since college but I never wound up seeing another soul in the bathroom my entire stay. I grew up having to share a small bathroom with my brother so it brought back memories and it wound up not being a big deal. There is a lock on the bathroom door and there are two showers and two toilets as well as separate bathrooms in the rear of the Inn if you need privacy.

I am also very used to watching TV before I go to bed and there are no TV's in the rooms. I ended up reading every night and it was very nice.

There is satellite TV in the main room, yes the TV is tiny but when all you want to do is check the news while you are eating breakfast it is fine.

The Inn rooms are decorated with amazing photographs and artwork mostly done by Kathy and photographs of some of Martin's incredible bike trips around the world.

The innkeepers are incredible people. They share a lust for life that you don't find any longer. We had a situation where one of our group broke down on the way to the Inn and he couldn't check in until almost 10 pm and the owners were up and were just eating dinner (very European!)

My wife is an event planner. I have stayed all over the US and throughout the Caribbean and Mexico. I have stayed at Four Seasons, Fairmonts, etc. I have stayed at resorts with bathrooms the size of the bedroom at the Acorn Inn and I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — The owners.
  • Disliked — Sharing bathrooms/showers
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank CCBurner
u.s.a.
Reviewed 16 March 2008

a little more expensive than advertised but well worth it! this place is like a european style b & b, out in the country. the rooms and the gathering rooms were filled with colorful art and photography, and many artifacts from the owners' travels in south america. the rooms were clean and cozy and very quiet. the bathrooms are shared, but there are enough to feel very private.
the owners were very helpful in pointing out things to see and do in the area (which is close to a ski and mountain resort) and the breakfasts were delicious home-made muffins and breads. i definitely would recommend this place.

• Liked — went out of the way to accomodate, wonderfully interesting ambience/decor
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
Reviewed 11 January 2007

I stayed at the Acorn Inn last year, given it was my first time going to the Wintergreen resort, and they recommended this place.

The first interesting thing about the location of this bed and breakfast is that you drive by this compound, with rows and rows of wooden trailers. Later on I hear it's a meditation center, but it was a little...weird.

The people that own the b&b are very nice and friendly. Their home is a bit eclectic. We stayed in the main house. We did not have our own bathroom, which I knew before hand. I don't think I'd do that again. The rooms were ok, comfortable and clean, but nothing to write home about. They also do not have a tv, even in the common area. It was during the olympics when we stayed there, so it was a little dissappointing.

The first day we had breakfast, we were served fruit, and like 5 or 6 different kinds of breads and muffins. They were all delicious, but there was nothing else, like eggs, or meat or anything.

The next day, we had the EXACT same breakfast, which yes, it was good, but we would have liked something else for sure. I'm guessing these folks are probably vegans or vegetarians.

Anyhow, the stay wasn't terrible, it was different. They were charging about $90/night, so I was expecting a bit more.

Stayed February 2006
4 Thank Kitteny
monotypemaker, Owner at Acorn Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Whoops! Although we try our best, guess we can't please everybody. Now that I realize I can add a word to answer a review---even an old one---(hey, glaciers also took a while), thought it might be helpful for our potential guests to know a few points from our perspective.
In Virginia, there are health department guidelines and regulations that don't allow inns with more than 6 bedrooms (unless you also have a restaurant with a separate restaurant kitchen) to serve anything other than a continental breakfast of "non-potentially hazardous baked goods." (yum!) In real-people speak, this means no eggs, no cheese, no meat, no "cut up" fruit (only whole fruit in a bowl)---and the list goes on! So---we can't be short order cooks! (Or, the bright side: we aren't legally allowed to do---what we don't really want to do.)
That said, while remaining fully within the law, I have come up with some really delicious and healthy recipes for muffins, breads, breakfast pies, and short cakes to go with the coffee, tea and orange juice buffet. (And usually, the conversation around the table adds even more taste to the experience.)

Next, it's true that life is so busy here that we don't have time for a TV in our own home (where we open guest rooms when the Inn and Cottage are fully booked). BUT there is a TV (w. Dish Network) in our private Cottage and another in the Inn (w. Direct TV). (Unfortunately, our January 2007 reviewer stayed in our Farmhouse when the 10-bedroom Inn was filled with a youth group ski club, so it wasn't possible for them to watch the TV over there, on that occasion.

Big news since 2009, our entire property now has WIFI internet, which comes through BPL (broadband over power line rural effort). So, connection is not as fast as the big city, but waaaay better than dial-up. (Bring your laptops!!)

Finally, we send out many thanks to our wonderful traveling friends, who keep us on our toes---and inspired! Happy trails to all you adventurers and hope to host you here soon!
Kathy (and Martin) Versluys
Also consider these accommodations in or near Faber
Hampton Inn and Suites Charlottesville - At The University
Hampton Inn and Suites Charlotte...
#4 of 35 in Charlottesville
Harmony Hill Bed and Breakfast
Cabin Creekwood
Cabin Creekwood
#1 of 2 in Lyndhurst

Been to Acorn Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!