“Starting to Show Age”

Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Starting to Show Age”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

A very handy location for those visiting students attending George Mason University. Front Desk staff & personnel are friendly and very efficient. Bistro staff/servers need more charm and customer relations training. Smiles and warmer greetings would help. Slow to serve but product was acceptable. Fitness Center well equipped although I did point out the absence of sanitizing pads to wipe down the equipment. A quick but thorough vacuum of the Fitness Center would be nice. Noticed a hint of mold stain on the shower curtain (Room 114). May need to change more frequently or use more elbow grease. Generally extra attention to cleaning and vacuuming would benefit the overall appearance impression. May have just been a bad week! I must admit, as a Marriott owner, my standards and expectations for Marriott facilities is higher! I'm sure we'll be back - during the coming years. NOTE: No hot tub but pool appeared inviting - no time to enjoy! Hours restricted.

Room Tip: Generally off the main highway, so noise not a major issue.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Reserved several rooms here for a business trip in the Fair Oaks area. The hotel was clean, quiet and the service was outstanding. We especially found the staff at the front desk and in the restaurant to be excellent. They were friendly, helpful and continued to ask how they could help. I used a wheelchair and they were very kind. The rooms were great! No noise and lots of time to rest between meetings. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Ladue, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed here for several days as part of a chorus trip and the hotel was pretty much what I expected. The hotel staff was extremely nice and helpful and the rooms were clean and comfortable. I also noticed that the property seemed to be well looked after and the lobby was bright, comfy, and relaxing. I can't speak to the value of the price/amenities because we were getting a special rate because of our large group. Overall, I would reccomend this hotel if you are looking to stay in the DC area.

That being said there are a few drawbacks:
1. The offerings at the Bistro are overpriced. Not only that, the menu is extremely limited and the food is not prepared fresh. Unfortunately, the items are prepared a day or so in advance and then reheated as needed. This practice gives off an odd aroma in the lobby and the 1st floor hallway leading to the lobby, when the breakfast items are reheated (my friend and I could best describe it as a "greasy, stale food smell"), which is not a major issue just an odd that the hotel staff has not noticed/corrected it.
-If you are looking for food options there are several restaurants in walking distance and a grocery store located next door.

2. Despite the fact that the property is a courtyard, the 2nd and 3rd floors are not connected. Your can do a loop on the 1st floor but the other two floors are divided and you must go to the ground floor to get to the other side of the hotel.

3. The hotel is not that close to the metro. To be fair their is a bus stop located very close to the hotel and that bus line runs to the nearest metro line. Just something to keep in mind if you are planning on commuting into DC from this hotel.

Room Tip: The 2nd and 3rd floors are divided into wings so if you are booking two rooms and want to be near ea...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Corey T, Manager at Courtyard Fairfax Fair Oaks, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Peter,

We really enjoyed hosting everyone in your group! I am glad to hear that you found our hotel clean, comfortable and well maintained. I will pass along your comments to our team as they take great pride in the service we provide to all of our guests. Many of our guests appreciate our unique Courtyard layout, it is a great public space for our guests to enjoy. The Bistro offers fresh and made to order meals for breakfast and dinner seven days a week, as well we brew Starbucks coffee throughout the day. We hope to see you again next time you are in the area!
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Customer service of the hotel staff and restaurant was par excellence. Internal and external appearance of property was top notch and the room was very clean and comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Napa, California
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This Courtyard Hotel obviously catered to business clientele, but for me, on vacation, it was also great. The rooms are very quiet and the staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are pretty standard, but the feature I liked the best was the refrigerator. It had a button inside that turns it off for 8 hours, then turns it back on again automatically. (I can't tell you how many nights at other hotels I've been kept awake by the buzzing of the refrigerator.)
The WiFi was easy... no password required and worked well. All in all, a great stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Ross D, General Manager at Courtyard Fairfax Fair Oaks, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay on TripAdvisor. I have shared your review with our team, I am glad our associates were so friendly. It's the Marriott way.
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We got to the hotel late at night and the front desk couldn't be more helpful . Found my room the first time , I'm in a lot of hotels and get lost all the time . When I got to bed I found it to be so comfortable . I would tell other groups about this hotel .

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay. I am so glad your bed was comfortable, I have shared your review with our team. We look forward to hosting your group the next time you are in Fairfax.
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I have stayed twice since two months and found the following:
- Nice and very frindley staff and enviroment
- Clean rooms with good room set up
- Nice and beautifull and clean green garden
- Nice and clean restaurant with a good service
- Best food quality with good service to the customers with reasonable prices
- Nice clean gym with good equipments
- Best location in Fairfax and close to everything you need

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking a few moments to review your most recent stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!