“welcoming staff - safe hotel”

SpringHill Suites Fairfax Fair Oaks
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

I stay at this hotel about 30 times a year. The staff is like family and is always welcoming. The general manager greats me regularly by saying 'welcome home'. While the people are most important, I also stay here because as a business owner there is great value for the money, the location - almost right next to GMU and I-66 wonderful, and I feel safe in the hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I stay at this hotel almost every weekend. It's great- nice, clean and comfortable. The staff, particularly Parminder, is veeery friendly, helpful, and a good host. They serve a very high variety of food and do a great job ensuring there is enough. The waffles are great!!! I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed at the Hotel before a few years ago and enjoyed our stay so we decided to stay again. It is a clean place, great breakfast, convenient to the Metro and the price was reasonable. It had everything we were looking for except for a comfortable bed. It was HORRIBLE!! If we didn't have a full schedule that weekend, we would have complained and got another hotel. We came in late every night from a hard day of work and left early in morning. Our backs hurt everyday. It is a shame for such a nice place for it to be so uncomfortable. We will never stay there again. I did bring it to the attention of the staff as we were leaving and there response was the beds were comfortable. Never again!

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you want a comfortable nights sleep.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Pugboss
JoAnne R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fairfax Fair Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Hello, We thank you for taking the time to send us your comments on your recent stay, and are very glad that you enjoyed the amenities in the hotel, and Breakfast had a variety of items, but your comments on the bed will be looked into. We are a fairly new hotel, and definately want all our guests to have a great experience. We hope to see you again if you come to the area, and let us know, so that we can upgrade your room. Hope to see you soon,

Regards

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I stay at this hotel on a regular basis for work. The staff is outstanding and friendly. The GM of the hotel is always available and truly cares that her guests are comfortable and taken care of. The rooms are clean and fresh. The morning breakfast has options. The staff is very accommodating for a special request. They make being a road warrior fun. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
JoAnne R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fairfax Fair Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Hello Sas4760, Thank you for writing us about your stay, and we always look forward to welcoming back our guests and hope that you do enjoy our Hot breakfast, free internet, and we are your 'home away from home' when you travel. I know that being away from home on a regular basis, is not easy, and hope that you will continue to stay with us, and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed 3 nights near Christmas.Parking garage was good. It was a rainy night. Quick check in. Was given a quiet room as I asked. Lower level near the pool. Was very quiet. No view but that is OK. Pool hours did not work for us so we did not get to use. Breakfast was very good. Good hot items, breads, fruits, juice, coffee. The hot items changed each of the 3 nights we stayed. Breakfast was good and we didn't have to go out for breakfast. Hotel was very good and a good value considering the included breakfast. Will stay there again. Staff very professional.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Hello, Smep013, Thank you for letting us know about your stay, and that you did enjoy our Hot breafast buffet, location of room, and we are sorry about the mixup with the pool hours. We do like to make sure that our guests have a great experience, and will return to our hotel when you are in the Fairfax area. As we are new to our market and your comments are appreciated, and passed on to all our departments for review and help us improve our service and amenities. Please let us know if you come back, so that we can give you the same great service.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

On our way to see family in Virginia, we stopped at SpringHill Suites for the night. The hotel seems like it is fairly new. The lobby looks fresh and recently done, and the entire hotel is welcoming, clean and comfortable.

Our room was on the 1st floor, close to the lobby, At first, I wondered about noise, but when we opened the door, we realized the living area was closest to the hallway, not the bed. The room was spacious, with a kitchenette (including fridge!) and a nice sofa and desk. We watched TV in there and had a snack before heading to bed.

The bed was comfortable and the sleep, quiet. The bathroom is large, as well.

Breakfast was nice, and when I went down to grab something a little past "closing time" the employee cleaning up was helpful and nice.

I used the fitness room which, while small, had all I needed. There are some free weights, 2 treadmills, two elliptical machines and a bike. There are no mats though for floor exercises. I made do.

One issue. Though when we checked in, the employee at the front desk told us the pool opened at 5am, it did not open until 4pm, because they required a lifeguard on duty, This stunk because the reason we selected this hotel was because they had an indoor pool. This may cause us to think twice about booking again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
JoAnne R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fairfax Fair Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Dear smepo13, Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us, and see that you had a great stay, and our breakfast met your needs, and yes we are still in the 'new' stage and always want to make sure our guests have a exceptional experience, and am so sorry that you were given the wrong pool hours. I hope that you will return to our area again, and continue to visit our hotel, and we wish you a Happy Holiday Season.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

My husband and my 2 teenage boys stayed 2 nights here Dec.13-15 because of a swim meet at GMU. We live 50 minutes away but because I knew northern VA traffic is so bad, we decided to book a room here so that we can save time. They had to be at GMU early morning and then had to go back for finals at 4:30pm.

The positives: room was clean, breakfast was alright (they didn't stay around to eat but picked up some food before they left each morning). The staff was very friendly and was able to give my husband a room with 2 double beds and a sofabed though we could only book a king at the time so it was nice of them to honor our request at check-in. The double beds were comfortable..both boys had their own bed because they are on the taller side. There was a half wall to separate the couch and a desk from the 2 beds. Location was great though there are lots of traffic on the way to GMU on Weeknights and mornings. The drive to GMU took longer than we thought: 15-20 minutes though it is about 3.5 miles away. Weekend traffic was less. Great Indoor parking but it was completely filled on Friday night due to upper parking lot which was closed to ice.

The negatives: The sofabed was so uncomfortable the first night, my husband could not sleep at all so he and I switched places...he went home (we live 50 minutes away) and I came and slept the second night on the couch not the sofabed. He is 6'2" and I am 5'4 so the couch fit the length of my body. The bad thing was he had to drive back and I went home the next day to send my other child to school. The other thing that bothered us was the heating unit. We could not get the temperature we wanted. The front office told us it takes awhile but no matter how long we waited it could not stay stable so I just turned it off because cold air blew the entire time.
Lastly, we could not find a parking space on Friday..probably because the top portion of the parking lot was closed due to ice so we couldn't fault the hotel..but it was a hassle because people were fighting for the spaces and we were told our other option was to park across the street in a shopping center. NO way was I going to leave our car in the outdoor shopping center so I waited for 20 minutes in the parking lot to get a space which wasn't fun at all.

Overall, it was alright. Would I stay here again next year? Not sure. If they can replace the sofabed...then I will come back..maybe it was just that one in our room.

Room Tip: Don't rely on the sofabed
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank trixgirl
JoAnne R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fairfax Fair Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear Trixgirl, We appreciate your taking the time to wrie us about your stay, and I am glad that you did find us close to GMU, during your recent swim meet. While I realize that your good comments on the hotel were appreciated, I am really sorry about the Sofa Sleeper bed. We always want to hear about any problems, so that we can resolve them, and also our AC units are individually controlled, and as we are a new hotel, I apologize for the problem with the AC unit and not getting to the desired temperature for you. I hope that you will try us again to prove that we do have great service, and our accommodations will meet your expectations. We hope you have a great Holiday Season, and Happy New Year.