“Favorite sandwich place ” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Bridgewater, Virginia
“Favorite sandwich place ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

I come here as much as possible, I love their BLTs the most. They have great sides and desserts as well. Really good food and atmosphere I highly recommend it.

Fairfax, Virginia
“Best Fairfax Deli”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Great sandwiches, like a New York Deli. Portions are good size, meats are flavorful, good quality breads. Sides are really better than any other deli in the northern Virginia area. Casual eating and quick service.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank fpk2
Springfield, VA
“Great Deli, close to GMU and Fairfax Courthouse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

If you are in area, this deli is a great stop. This was our first visit and we had the Reuben sandwich and the French dip special. Both were delicious! This is not a fancy place, just good basic deli food. We'll go back.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank DonnainSpringfield
Reston, Virginia
“What a find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Such a cute little unassuming place. I feel that they must cater to the GMU students as they are across the road from the college. We had the Reuben - ask for extra sauerkraut and the Italian cold cut. Both were very good. We also had to order the Cream Cheese with Green Olive sandwich. You never see that on a menu. It was on pumpernickel and it was wonderful. So retro. I like Bernie's because it is not a chain and it seems to be a perfect place to stop in for a nosh and to bring friends for an easy meal. We will be back.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank LetsGoNowOK
Waupaca, Wisconsin
“Nothing special; probably won't return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

I was hoping for something above average, better than I could make myself, but didn't find it at Bernie's. The dining area is a mish-mash of stuff, sort of dark, and very uninviting. It doesn't look like the tables get serviced very often as they aren't orderly. The soft drinks, napkins, straws, etc. are on a counter against a far wall, and you have to wade by and in between a bunch of tables to get to it. It could easily be located elsewhere, with better traffic flow, but I guess no one cares enough to do so. There is a tiny container on the counter for trash; it was overflowing.

Although there were only a few people waiting for their food, it seemed to take longer than it should have to get someone's attention. And since it was my first time there, I didn't know if I was supposed to order at the counter with the register or the counter near the refrigerated deli case. The ordering process isn't clearly communicated.

My sandwich, #175, had an ample amount of corned beef, but if it hadn't included slaw and dressing, it would have had little taste. In fact, the corned beef seemed kind of dry; there was hardly any moisture to it. And one of my pet peeves is when meat is piled in the middle of the bread instead of equally distributed. I expect every bite of a good sandwich to have the same amount of filling. When the outside is just bread and no meat or dressing, I am disappointed. The sandwich came with a pickle, which I think all deli sandwiches should, so I wasn't disappointed there.

I bought a cookie on the way out because I heard the young man at the counter telling some college age guys how good they were and that they had just been put out that morning. If the cookie hadn't had chocolate chunks in it, it would have had little taste. I think cookies should be sweet and buttery whether they have chocolate, raisins, etc. or not. So that was another disappointment.

Perhaps Bernie's fits the bill for nearby college students who simply want something filling and don't want to make it themselves. For me, I expect a place calling itself a branch of a deli with "world famous sandwiches" since 1925, having served Presidents and celebrities to be better. I prefer Santini's in Fairfax.

• Visited June 2013