“Offering No choice but to leave!”
Review of Choices By Shawn

Choices By Shawn
Ranked #28 of 425 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Just opened a couple years ago. Their web address is http://choicesbyshawn.com.
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The outside porch is deserted like in an old house. No one cares about how the customer feels before stepping into the place. Chairs and tables are rusting in the rain outside, and some are reluctantly thrown upside down. Then you step inside the restaurant to a smelly stuffy atmosphere. My friend her child and I were escorted by a woman with a reddish spiky hair that is extremely rude and unwelcoming. The place was half occupied (go figure) but she chose a table in a narrow corner to seat us. When we asked for the bigger table by the window, she kinda frowned at us and said "This is for four!" When I told her the place is almost empty, she kept that rude facial expression "Ok, but it's lunch time and the place gets busy". By that time, I was already turned off and we left the place for the awesome Indian buffet across the street "Bollywood Bistro" where you get a 5-star experience. There's good management and bad management, and between the two restaurants lose a whole lot of unsatisfied customers. NEVER going back to that horrible place "Choices" that actually gives you no choice but to leave immediately.

2  Thank GlobeTrekkerFromDC

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We had planned a birthday dinner for eight. When we arrived, they had yet to set our table. They must have been seriously under-staffed, as service throughout dinner was simply awful. Our waiter was a nice-looking and earnest young man, who seemed to know nothing. He brought one small bread basket fir a table of eight, literally not enough to share for all. Water glasses went I refreshed unless asked. We had to ask for our first bottle of wine three times, which took almost 30 minutes to appear. It was an hour before our main courses arrived. An hour. Dessert arrived with out enough forks. It was like a comic opera, except it wasn't that amusing. Our young waiter was nice, but alas that simply wasn't enough to offset our dreadful experience.

4  Thank bulldogNYC
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Went here for breakfast and Daughters baby shower. The side room was large enough to fit 15 people and children comfortably. This is a first visit for my Wife and me and the breakfast was substantial and quite delicious. When it came to desert however, the pickings were rather sparse as they had run out of most of their menu. The waitstaff was excellent, food was served at the same time, and the facility had plenty of off street parking. The pricing for breakfast was close to prices from other local restaurants. We would come back if in the area for lunch or dinner.

1  Thank AndTodo2
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Living in DC, we often don't get out to the suburbs. We had dinner at Choices by Shawn in celebration of the wedding of friends. I believe it was one of the first times the restaurant had been "taken over" for a full house group. They did a splendid job!

The porch, even on a drizzly sometimes rainy evening, provided a nice breeze and protection from the rain. The servers worked hard to bring drinks to everyone -- not easy since we kept moving about.

We used all the rooms in the restaurant to seat the entire group. With no assigned seating - except for the wedding party - it was even nicer for us because we got to meet and talk with people new to us.

The dinner - a chicken dish, a fish dish, greenbeans with almonds, (the best) scalloped potatoes, and salad - was served buffet style. They even had "chicken fingers" for the younger folks -- and I am sure some of the grown ups ate the too! It was all delicious as was the warm bread they served at the tables. As someone in the hospitality industry, I might have set it up a bit differently (only 1 side for the buffet) BUT there was no room to do otherwise and it was a nice time to talk with others in line and worth the wait for the food.

The two restrooms are unisex, single-occupant restrooms which made it easier and pretty line-less. It was also nice having a large, beautifully furnished restroom to oneself!

The building itself is so pretty and I wish I'd learned about the history of the house.

If you are going for any reason, the parking is easy and on the side of the restaurant AND is difficult to access the restaurant from there if anyone in your party has any mobility issues. It is accessible from the corner by only two short steps.

We plan to return for a 'just us' meal - or with our friends whose reception we attended. It was a lovely place with very good food.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

My wife had been wanting to try the restraint for the past year and today we finally made it. I can honestly say we are never going back. My wife ordered the Mahi mahi and I ordered the full rack of ribs. The ribs did not taste right. They were extremely dry, meat did not come off the bone, and their was a weird taste to them. I would almost swear the ribs were just microwaved. The fist my wife ordered was extremely bland as well. Kind of dry too....

The French Onion soup for appetizers was just alright.....

I will give credit for the kids menu. My sons ordered the Mac n cheese and the hamburgers. My kids were happy......

Needless to say, a very disappointing evening. For the price, we would of expected a LOT better. I would recommend saving your money and going somewhere else to eat.

On the plus side, the service was good.

2  Thank Stwar

Been to Choices By Shawn? Share your experiences!