“Good check in/out service, bad cleanliness in the bedroom”

Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks Mall
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
Reviewed 20 May 2014

For the value it's a good deal
I always stay here to save
But I'm fully aware that it won't b the cleanest hotel, other than that I love the location, very well situated in the heart of fairfax in front of sears fair oaks mall

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Josueswy

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have stayed at two "extended stay america". None of them were good experiences. Honestly I can give this hotel 0 stay without hesitation but considering they saved me from a broken air conditioner, I give them two stars just as generous as I can be...

....Where to start....I had this broken air conditioner and it went so hot that night so I had to sleep outside. It was past 12 am so no priceline or online booking. I know the area was very filled up (my regular SPG/Hyatt would bill me for >$300) so I booked this hotel just for a night filler.

They did the job in a horrible manner.

The guy who checked me in was simply inexperienced. But he was the only guy left alone. It took him ~1.5 hours checking me in. I felt pity for him. Basically, he had no privilege checking me in electronically at all, so he tried and tried and I was there waiting and patiently waiting. I essentially gave him my CC and left for the room after ~1 hr (with another angry guest asking for an extra blanket again and again while this poor front desk kid is failing checking me in).

I was then woken up by the same kid after another 45 minutes -- He brought a blank customer fill in form. Seriously? No, I DO NOT BLAME THIS KID. THE KID WORKED VERY HARD AND TRIED TO SATISFY. THE MANAGEMENT HAD NOT TRAINED THE KID. THEY KNOW ABOUT IT, THEY DIDN'T TELL HIM. THEY DIDN'T GIVE HIM ANY POWER BUT LET HIM BE IN CHARGE OF THE NIGHT. THIS IS SERIOUSLY BAD MANAGEMENT.

The next morning I was woken up at ~10:30 by the front desk manager (which is fine and considerate), and to fill out the form. I confirmed with the front desk manager that the kid could not electronically check me in that night (but the poor kid didn't know).

Now, this is just the bad experience. The "hard product" itself is completely unacceptable. The whole place is just worn down -- except the logo of "Extended stay America". Linens, towels, desk, utensils, all worn. Not very dirty per say but it's so old and worn and the towel is somewhat yellow. Oh, forgot to mention that the whole room smelt Curry (probably some guy cooked Curry here for a long time? Bad idea man! Bad idea!)

I have completely no idea why people rate this place well. Jesus. Open your eyes and stay at a Hyatt or Marriot or Hilton or SPG, or whatever. They don't cost that much more (and they are sometimes a lot cheaper!). And when I see people rate any of these chains 2 stars, I am thinking, how would they rate these "extended stay americas"? minus one stars? It's amusing to think about it...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank herbertgzb
Reviewed 16 May 2014

When we arrived, we waited at the front desk for 25 mins for only clerk to arrive back to the front desk. Them she gave us a uncleaned room but she made up for it by upgrading is to a larger room. The upgraded room was nothing special, just larger. The worst thing was the free breakfast. When I checked in and was waiting for the clerk to arrive, I walked around the lobby area looking for the breakfast area. When I asked the clerk where was breakfast served, she said right behind you. I turned around and only saw a bureau. The clerk told me breakfast was served on the top of the bureau. OMG

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Honestly I was surprised at how good the rooms are. The staff could improve significantly but I am willing to overlook that based on how nice their rooms are and the price you pay for them. The location is not that bad because you got a ton of places to eat near you and it is right on the highway so it is great if you drive but crap if you are planning use public transport.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at our hotel including our spacious suites at a great value. Still, I’m disheartened to learn that our level of customer service did not meet your expectations. I will meet with our entire staff to review our customer service policies and guest protocol to ensure that you experience is not repeated.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to providing you with another comfortable stay in the future!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

If you are looking for a great value for the price, stay here! I got a deal from booking.com and thought I'd give it a try. First off, the staff is very friendly and helpful. The facilities are (as said in other reviews) limited, but I was going to be pretty busy for the 3 days I was down there, and wouldn't have had much time to use them. The room was larger than many queen rooms I've rented, especially due to the kitchen area. The kitchenette was terrific... two burner stove, FULL size fridge, sink, and microwave, plus coffee maker... all you would need to reduce your "eat out" cost. There's a Safeway very close by too. I asked for a non-smoking room and the room was very nearly perfectly smoke free... the hallways weren't, and the second day some smoke vented into the bathroom. And, during checkout, they didn't give me my value; I had the sheet printed out from booking.com, gave it to them, and they refunded my credit card for the difference. SO... make sure if you got an incredible deal, print out the info.

Room Tip: First floor hallways seemed smoke free.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our friendly, helpful staff, your spacious room and your fully equipped kitchen. Still, I apologize that you encountered the smell of smoke during your visit with us. Your feedback will be useful as we continue to improve our guest experience. Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Im been staying at this hotel for a couple days and i just love it the rooms are clean and the service is great. All the staff are friendly especially Usman and the manager Ashish is very helpful I will always recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I did this reservation through secret deal, I was nervous so much bcz it was my first visit to usa, but this hotel was best deal I got and experience was amazing. Its very friendly and located at very good place. Makes it very easy to travel and shopping.

• Stayed: November 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I am glad to read that you were pleased with our hotel's location and the friendly service our staff provided. We hope to see you again soon.