“Disappointing”

Viet House
Ranked #96 of 450 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Based on other reviews here plus it was close to our hotel (ie 0.5 mi), I decided to visit this restaurant and order out to take the food back with me. Also, let me say that my ethnic background makes me very well acquainted with Vietnamese food.

Perhaps this restaurant is known for its pho, which I did not order because it doesn't taste as good when ordering out. Instead I opted for goi cuon (summer/spring rolls), bun (rice vermicelli with pork and egg rolls) and com (rice with pork). The goi cuon were large and while not the best, were quite good. No issues there. The problem is with the other two dishes which used the same kind of pork. The pork is usually a rich, dark color from the caramelization of the sugars as it is grilled. In this case, it was more of a grey/light brown and the lack of flavor in it hurt both dishes. The bun also contained egg rolls which were big and pretty good but the nuoc mam seasoning that you apply to the bun and rice didn't have the usual flavorings.

I normally would not have gone to this restaurant as we'd normally visit the ones further east on Arlington. If you're willing to make the drive, then those are the ones I'd recommend to those looking for authentic Vietnamese food.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

I grew up eating Vietnamese food. I've eaten at Pho restaurants from San Francisco to Toronto, Canada. Since moving to VA, I've found some very good Vietnamese restaurants, but they are few and far between . . . then I discovered Viet House! Hands down, the very best I've had in the 8 years that I've lived in Virginia! We had an appetizer of "goi cuon"/shrimp rolls (they call "summer rolls" on the menu) with the sweet hoison dipping sauce, sprinkled with chopped peanuts. They were incredible! My wife, our daughter and I all had lemon chicken vermicelli noodle bowls, topped with sliced spring rolls. Delicious!!! Be warned, although only $9- (normal price for the same meal at most Vietnamese restaurants) the portion sizes here are ENORMOUS! We all wound up finishing less than half and having to get boxes! Service was great and very quick. Our daughter attends college nearby at George Mason and can't wait to bring her friends there! We can't wait to visit her and have another meal! Highly recommended!

Reviewed 22 May 2012

As usual, service was very fast & food was delicious.
The young lady at the register was especially pleasant.

1  Thank Zzamm
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This restaurant used to be awesome years ago. Their soups (Pho) were great. In the last years, maybe because of the economy, the soups are less flavorful than in the past, they are just ok. Not bad for a cold, rainy day, though.

What they still prepare really good is their summer rolls (Guy Cuon). They are always really fresh and flavorful. The combination of pork, shrimp, and herbs is delicious.

Reviewed 25 November 2011

I lived in Fairfax for three years and this was one of my favorite local places and I'm pretty sure my friends felt the same way. The service is incredibly fast and the portions are good for the price. I appreciate how they have spices at the table and you can control the spiciness of your pho. I always ordered the white chicken pho and was never disappointed. I agree with the previous comment that the menu is short and simple, which I appreciated.