“Great BBQ and free vanilla soft serve ice cream!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Dickey's BBQ Pit Fairfax
Ranked #163 of 460 Restaurants in Fairfax
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

I'm from Kansas City, so I take my BBQ and BBQ sauce very seriously.

Meat: We loved the moist ribs, tasty pulled pork, three BBQ sauces (all tomato-based, original, sweet, and spicy), and many choices of sides. They smoke their meats on site, which is very important. The smoked turkey looked amazing. I want to try it and the brisket next time.

Sides: My spouse and I really liked the BBQ beans. I think that Dickey's uses Miracle Whip (MW) in their potato salad. If you are a big MW fan, then you will love Dickey's potato salad. Since I prefer mayo-based potato salad, I will pick a different side next time, perhaps mac and cheese.

Bread: The two-meat combo came with an unimpressive roll. Their sandwiches seemed to come with nice, homemade buns. I was glad that they had hamburger dill pickles and fresh, sliced onion, if you wanted.

Dessert: They featured peach cobbler on Sunday. Yummy!! It was even better with the free self-serve, soft-serve vanilla ice cream.

Several families came in after we arrived. Kids eat free on Sundays, which is a huge incentive to come. The little ones were thrilled with the ice cream, the cones, and the optional Hershey's chocolate syrup.

What needs improvement: The speed of service and the bathroom.

Service: The very friendly employees filled our order fairly quickly when we were the only people there. They seemed overwhelmed as more people arrived, forgetting the peach cobbler, leaving the ice cream cone dispenser without any cones, despite two customer's requests. I just went to the counter and asked for the cobbler and got a dish for the ice cream. No problem!

Bathroom: What's wrong with the one-person ladies room? The door needs a new coat of paint and/or a good scrubbing. My tennis shoes made squeaky noises due to the floor, which needs lots of scrubbing and degreaser. Clean bathrooms reassure customers that the restaurant takes hygiene seriously, everywhere. Likewise, dirty-looking bathrooms make customers wonder about hygiene, everywhere.

I gave Dickey's five stars for the food. And I hope that they will have a spotless bathroom next time! If not, then I will change the rating.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

I love a good pork barbecue place. This one missed the mark. Ribs were way too dry. Choked them down. Wish I could give this a better rating. Atmosphere wasn't bad.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

This is a very basic bbq place - order at the counter - pick it up at the resister - food is good not great but considering the price it is probably a good deal - the free soft ice cream cone for dessert is a nice tough

Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

I love BBQ. But this trip to Dickeys was lackluster. The brisket was very dry and partially burnt. The turkey tasted like lunch meat. The Caesar salad and mac and cheese was good though.

Reviewed 27 November 2016

You can eat in or take out. Sign up for the Big Yellow Cup Club. They send you promotions. Really good barbecue-all kinds. They even have va free custard machine with cup.