“Good location for Washington DC”

Best Western Fairfax
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
“Good location for Washington DC”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Hotel okay for the money we paid as they accepted the Travel Buddy coupon. I wouldn't have wanted to pay full price however. Hotel tired and in need of 'doing up.' They pride themselves of the country feel breakfast room and food, whereas I thought it was good the wife wasn't as impressed. The good thing about this hotel is the location to travel to Washington DC. Very easy and quick so suited our needs. Room clean and tidy and quiet, stayed for two nights each time room cleaned well.

Room Tip: Value for money when using a coupon
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
stephenmay, General Manager at Best Western Fairfax, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Adrianandlois,

I am glad that you had a clean and comfortable stay. We work hard to make our breakfast buffet appetizing and filling. We have coupon rates are available year round and hope to see you on your next visit to our area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Coraopolis, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel hoping to use a discount coupon. However, according to management, there were only two smoking rooms available. The lead clerk kindly allowed me to see both rooms--and I chose the least offensive one. Except for the lingering smoke smell, the room was adequate enough. The biggest drawback was the use of less than adequate noise suppression materials. So, I countered the chatter with noise of my own. The staff were helpful in pointing out the nearest Metro station (Fairfax/vienna) and provided information on all the disgraceful Obama induced visitor closures (WW II Memorial, etc.). Another problem was the one restaurant employee who was late to work, consequently everyone's breakfast was delayed.
I departed before breakfast was served, so I can't comment on the quality of the breakfast service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
I am sorry that we not able to accommodate you in a non-smoking room. That happens when we sell out on the weekends, smoking rooms being the last rooms left. I'm glad we were able to assist you with the information you needed and regret that you were unable to stay for our breakfast buffet. I hope that you enjoyed your trip to our nation's capital.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I travel to Fairfax for work at least one week out of every month. At first, I was pleased to find this hotel at a great price and terrific location for me. My first stay was uneventful and perfectly adequate. My second stay I woke up covered in bed bug bites. Management would only refund me $25 for one night of my several night stay. Still, I decided to try them again this week, only to have my companion wake up this morning obviously eaten up by bugs. The front desk manager refused to even concede that these were bed bug bites, instead claiming we were having an allergic reaction to some unknown thing that just happens to look like a large series of bug bites. The general manager refused to speak with us. They did however at least comp us last night, after we checked out this morning because of the bed bugs.

Throughout this, I'm amazed at how little management seemed to care about my returning monthly business, let alone our discomfort at being clearly eaten up by bugs at their establishment.

But the big reason I'm posting this negative review is to save anyone else from the same itchy fate. I left the hotel this morning after our third conversation with management, very much under the impression that they weren't actually going to do anything about their bed bug problem. So good luck and god speed to you if you end up here. I'd recommend spending a little more to ensure a good night's rest and management that actually respects its customers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MunaRVA
stephenmay, General Manager at Best Western Fairfax, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
We are and continue to be concerned with any situation that might involve bed bugs. I also travel and I check bed linen and mattresses before I go to sleep in any room I stay in. My staff and I checked your room, immediately after you left and could not find any evidence of a current or past infestation of bed bugs. We looked through the linen,the king sized mattress and box spring, bed skirting, furniture, behind the head board, carpet base any place where you would see bed bug feces, live bugs or dead ones. There was no trace of blood on the sheets which could be evidence of biting. In talking to your boyfriend, he was the one that suggested that it could be an allergic reaction since he couldn't find any evidence of bugs himself. I unfortunately could not talk to him, since I was in a meeting, but, gave the authorization for a complimentary room, without even checking it,because of your boy friends sincerity, obvious distress and the fact that you had stayed with us previous times. The desk person also profusely apologized to him then and when you both checked out. There was nothing more we could have done at the time except check the room which was what we should have done immediately. To still further our inspection of that room, we contacted our exterminator and he could not find any traces of bed bugs. If something had been found we would have let you know. I sincerely regret that we did not show the necessary urgency that I would have expected of myself and our staff.
Hanson, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights looking at colleges with my daughter. Upon checking into the room (which was smoking) I didnt request it. The room was smelly and worn. Burn hole in the chair. A rubber bath math in the tub, gross. tile caulking in shower looked like a someone slapped it up with their finger. On the first night there noticed strange men coming and going from room below us. By the next day noticed allot of men going into this same room. I suspected prostitution going on. Which was confirmed on the second day when an asian girl tried flagging my daughter and I down as we were pulling out of the parking lot. When I stopped the car and rolled down the window and she clearly saw I was a woman she waved us off. I stood on the balcony at night and witness the comings and goings all night long. There are signs about security cameras on premisis. If thats true how does the hotel NOT KNOW this is going on in there hotel. That being said I felt like the staff was good. maids did a good job of cleaning and pretty close to highways and trains. Wont stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
stephenmay, General Manager at Best Western Fairfax, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear B K,

We deeply regret that you had to witness the comings and goings as you described. Although we do have video cameras, it would be very hard to focus in on one area with out knowing what we were looking, for because of a limited viewing area. We do have physical security from 10pm until 6am that patrols the property, but maybe the activity you described had slowed down by that time. Our best security are the guests who report suspicious activity or unruly individuals who can ruin a hotel stay. Regarding the smoking room, we have a limited amount of smoking rooms and would never intentionally put a non-smoker in one. What I think happened is that some of our Priceline/Hotwire reservations come through as smoking rooms. Our staff is instructed to ask everyone if the room on the reservation is the one they would want. Obviously, in your case we did not ask you your preference. For this I sincerely apologize, and wish your stay had been more enjoyable.
Inver Grove Heights, United States
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The hotel was of good value although some face lift would really make it less dull especially in the lobby. Most of the help was ok, although one at the reception was a bit cranky at first. The second was very helpful in assisting us to find a place to eat.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your comments. We are aware that our lobby could use an upgrade and that is scheduled to take place next year. I have let the "cranky" one know about your comment and she does apologize knowing that she should have had a better face on that day.

Stephen May
Destin Florida, United States
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We have stayed at this hotel about 15 nights over the past few years but on this trup the noise was so bad we got little sleep due to the room next door. Our previous experiences were good but this trup was a nightmare.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

stephenmay, General Manager at Best Western Fairfax, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Richard,

I do apologize for your bad experience during your last stay at our property. Unfortunately, not all guests appreciate the notion of a good nights sleep. We hope to see you again in the future.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Used a travel coupon. Wonderful stay, terrific personnel. An older motel that has a caring staff and ownership. Loved the breakfast. If you are staying in the Washington DC/Northern Virginia area this is a must stay motel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Dear George,

Thank you for your positive comments and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to serve you again in the future.