“not the newest facility but the nicest staff”

Residence Inn Fairfax Merrifield
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Falls Church
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We spent four nights at this hotel..The facility is not new....maybe a bit worn, but absolutely everyone we dealt with from the front desk to the restaurant servers were exceptionaly kind and accomodating.. They made the stay quite pleasant.. Our first floor room smelled a bit moldy..(this area has had more than average amount of rain for the past few months) so the staff moved us to the fourth floor and we were fine.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less moldy smell...although I must add that this area has had rain for the past f...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 September 2011

We traveled to see the new baby--my 90 year old Mother's first great grandchild. The handicapped room was perfect. The shower had no barriers.
We loved it

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2011

What were they thinking?

At first I though the room smelled of cigarette smoke, but maybe it was just the cleaning agent they used - possibly carbolic acid? Except for the TV the room was worn out. The refrigerator was old, dirty and the door shelf was broken (no way to stand up an open bottle of wine therein). The fireplace did not work. The bed was miserable. I didn't know they still made mattresses with the heavy cord around the edges; I last had one like that in the '70's. There were just 2 bathtowels and no bathmat. But that's the good part.

When the power went out around midnight they fired up a generator that ran all night. This was a problem as half the rooms face a fully enclosed courtyard with the pool in it, and the generator is in the courtyard too. What were they thinking? The noise reverberated around the courtyard all night long. And I don't know what they were using the power for as there was none in my room and there was not even any emergency lighting in the hallways.

The hot buffet breakfast turned out to be cold cereal, yogurt, and some unripe honeydew. I could have whipped up enough scrambled eggs and sausage for all of the guests on a campstove by myself; instead the half dozen or so kitchen workers just stood around in the breakfast room doing nothing. But that generator was still running! And even though it was 85+ in the breakfast room none of the idle employees was clever enough prop open a door and catch some of the fresh breeze that might have made the place a little more bearable.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fcfrag
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We found this hotel after the reservation at another hotel fell through. They were very accomodating and able to get us a room last minute. We had a 2 bedroom suite. Each room had a queen bed and the beds were very comfortable. We never heard any other noise from outside or inside the hotel. There was also a sofa with a pull out bed which one of my kids slept on and said it was very comfortable, too. The rooms were very clean and when we didn't want the maid service one day, she made sure we had plenty of towels and toiletries. The closets in the rooms had plenty of room for all and I loved the shelves in the closets, too. Everyone was very nice and the buffet was nice in the morning to grab a quick bite on our way into D.C. The hotel is only about a mile from the metro and we would ride that into D.C. which took about 20 minutes or so. The only thing that keeps me from giving the hotel 5 stars was while the staff was very nice, a few times we asked simple questions of the clerk about where to find things in the area and they did not seem to know. Other than that, our stay was excellent.

Room Tip: 2 bedrooms suites are great when traveling with family. Gives everyone plent of room to spread out.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank justdessertsfl
Reviewed 16 June 2011

My husband & I stayed in their studio for 4 nights. I requested an early check-in and to my happy surprise was able to check in at 9:45 am - check-in normally 3:00 pm. The room itself was superb. Everything you need in a home away from home. Full kitchen with 2 caf and 2 decaf coffee pods provided daily. Attached bar with 3 stools for eating. Living room with pull out full size bed (linens/blankets/pillow provided without requesting), coffee table, end table, and sitting chair. Writing desk w/ chair and phone provided for working. Free high speed internet. Large flat screen TV which site atop a 4 drawer chest. Coat closet with hangers which houses the iron/ironing board. Very comfortable queen size bed (extra blanket provided without requesting). Bathroom has shower/tub and toilet (2 large towel sets provided for each of us with extras in the closet) with locking door which separates the changing area which has a single sink and full cabinets for storing your items. Full size closet with plenty of hanging space (hangers provided) and built in shelving for your folding items. There is also a laundry room located on the premises, but I didn't use it. The free breakfast is quite substantial. Fruits, cereals, yogurts, scrambled eggs, breads, potato patties, make your own belgian waffles, Peets coffee, teas, milk, juices, muffins, etc. You can eat in their dining area and/or take a plate back to your suite. There is also a mini store next to the registration area where you can buy food/drink items 24/7. The staff is very helpful and friendly and the daily housekeeping service was excellent and appreciated. We especially liked the free underground parking.

Room Tip: AAA discount on the Marriott website
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2011

We have stayed at this property numerous times in the past 4 years. We have family in DC/Northern Virginia area and it is always difficult to find reasonably priced hotels. If you have a car, this is the place to stay. It's only a 15/20 minute drive into DC, the rooms are huge and breakfast is included. Plus the parking if free!

The only thing that keeps me from giving it a 5 star rating is the breakfast. Although tasty, it's usually chaotic. The food isn't refilled fast enough to accommodate the large weekend crowd. It just seems understaffed in the breakfast area. I've seen the same poor woman every time we're there trying to clear tables, refill food and coffee pots. She's doing her best, but one person on the weekend isn't enough!

But like I said the price is right, so this is really a minor problem!

Room Tip: Check the website frequently to get a best rate.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank AKjazzj
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I first discovered the "Residence Inn Fairfax Merrifield" from( October 2008-December 2008)which was three months time frame where I invested for my stay and IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY because of the VALUE!!! I was not aware of the "Residence Inn Fairfax Merrifield"( back in October 2008 )and when I became a hotel guest I was SURPRISED of ALL the hotel's amenities you receive! I have VERY FOND memories of their quiet domesticated apartment styled hotel suites! In the spacious suites, you receive a "Welcome Package",PREMIUM bedding,spa tub and a COZY fireplace. I SAVED MONEY by dining on the hotel's complimentary hot breakfast buffet with ENDLESS options+the hotel's "Manager's Reception" which offers complimentary dinner, light-fare snacks,desserts and beverages(I learned+enjoyed a variety of gourmet foods)! Family and I enjoyed the hotel's recreational activities such as basketball,tennis and volleyball. Family and I spent countless hours in the hotel's "Business Center" that offers complimentary internet access+working out in their audio/visual fitness facility! You will be delighted to know that the hotel does offer picnic/grilling areas and a seasonal outdoor pool. The "Front Desk","Management","Housekeeping" and the "Kitchen Department" ALWAYS seemed to GENUINELY enjoyed their jobs and were very eager to service the guests!!! Nearby the hotel, their is a small mall that has( "Starbuck's Coffee","Dominoe's Pizza","CVS" etc.) for your convience.The hotel offers a gift shop which offers(ice cream,chips,candy, wine,beverages,toiletries etc.). When you check in at "Front Desk", try to get a suite with a pleasant view from your windows. Finally..my family,friends and I rediscovered the "Residence Inn Fairfax Merrifield"in April 2011 and we LOVED IT!!! The hotel is close to "Tyson's Corner Mall" where my family,friends and I went shopping. P.S. the only suggestion I have is that the hotel re-install their flat screened plasma television in their main reception area for the hotel guests.P.S.S. Remember... The hotel offers plenty of VALUE!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
TownePlace Suites Falls Church
#6 of 15 in Falls Church
1 mi away
Courtyard Dunn Loring Fairfax

Been to Residence Inn Fairfax Merrifield? Share your experiences!