“Not the greatest service or best face forward”

Tara Thai Tysons Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Pimmit Dr
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We've had good food here before but this time was a real disappointment. The soup was luke warm and full of uncooked vegetables, not the Tom Yum I am used to. The tea cup was visibly dirty and had to be sent back even as the waitress was pouring it. The curries was average tasting, mine had basil that had black spots all over it. As for the service, no less than 5 times did two different waitresses asked if we were finished, when there clearly was food on the plate. We felt rushed and the like in a lunch processing plant. Since there are many other Thai choices around, I'm not going back.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

We had a wonderful meal, made to order as I like the food extra spicy! We ordered wine, but when they didn't have our choice, they offered a substitute, which was fabulous. The wait staff was friendly and accommodating, and we had a lovely, relaxed evening.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

We eat there often. Food is good. Sometimes it seems to take awhile for food to come to the table after ordering, but our last few times there the service has been very fast.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

I used to go to the Tara Thai restaurant on Fairfax drive in Arlington but had not been there in awhile and it has since closed. I think I know why. I visited this sister restaurant this week and was very disappointed. My mother and I went there for lunch and though the place was mostly empty they sat us in the back near the kitchen where we could hear the slamming and yelling from the kitchen crew. We ordered hot tea and split larb gai for an appetizer. First, the tea showed up -- 1 small pot for each of us only mine didn't even have a tea bag -- it was just hot water. The larb was only so so and the portion was miniscule. It tasted like it had been prepared the day before and was leftover. It definitely was not freshly prepared. For lunch my mother ordered some sort of noodle dish which she said was just ok but her meal was ruined because the sun was shining in her face from a reflection off of a car in the lot. The waiter was nowhere to be found so I pulled the (filthy) shade down myself. When the waiter eventually came to the table we mentioned that we pulled the shade down, and he said, "oh, was the reflection from the car shining in your eyes?" Like he know this happens everyday to whoever sits at this bad table! I had ordered the Kapow Chicken and because I like my Thai food rather hot I asked for extra chili. Well, boy did they show me! They brought me dry stir fried chicken with about 1/2 a bottle of Siracha Sauce poured over it (yes, we Americans know what that is believe it or not!) A properly prepared Kapow has actually chili peppers and basil but this had not one chili pepper and only about 3 basil leaves. What a rip off. I couldn't even eat it. I left there hungry and will never go back. I actually went and bought a burger from Elevation Burger since I was so hungry!

1  Thank Cissie44
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I go here often. Tara Thai has a great menu with lots of wonderful entrees. I've never had a bad one here yet. Prices are reasonable and they have a very good wine list to accompany your meal. The atmosphere is good. The service is wonderful. If I were to nitpick something it would be their occasional problem with flies. I suspect they keep the back door in the kitchen open. Its an easy problem to fix. Hopefully, they see this review and do something about it.