“Fine but not my favorite”
Review of Duangrats

Duangrats
Ranked #23 of 370 Restaurants in Falls Church
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 December 2013

In the battle between Duangrats and Rabieng (around the corner), I've generally favored Rabieng. But I went to Duangrats for the first time in a while for a group dinner. We had a broad selection of appetizers, and they were uniformly very good. Someone asked for spicy, and those dishes had a good kick to them. My main course was quail, and it was a disappointment. Overcooked and without much taste, the accompanying sauce did not save the dish. I've eaten a lot of quail in Asian restaurants, and this was toward the bottom of the list. Everyone else seemed happy with their food, and only the quail kept the rating down to three stars. There's no reason not to eat here, only a reason not to order quail.

1  Thank jxx9595

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I just finished a Raaga review, the Indian restaurant next door which is pretty good. However, this really is the best Thai in the whole DC area. I have tried almost every one, a bunch in DC, lots in the Alexandrian and Arlington area, and this is, hands down, the best. People told me that when I moved here 14 years ago, and they are right. There are lots of great lunch deals if you go for that, especially the Ching Mai chili pork - wow! However, I have a bad habit of eating all my favorites at all the restaurants. Tom Yum Goon, spicy beef salad (or with the seafood), green curry chicken, and of course satay. All very very very good here. It really is the best in DC, the only better I have had is the Lotus of Siam in Las Vegas which really sets the bar quite high. And you get white tablecloths at lunch and great service.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

While some folks rate it's sister restaurant, Rabieng, a touch higher, as it is country Thai cuisine and Duangrats is city Thai (country is more exotic, I guess), I go to both at least twice a month consistently for over 15 years now, and I would say that the food at Duangrats edges out Rabieng slightly... But make time to go to both!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I like Thai food, and Duangrat's is several cuts above your neighborhood Thai place . It has been rated in the past by Washingtonian Magazine as the best Thai restaurant in the area and I wholeheartedly agree. The dishes are imaginative, blend many flavors, and served in a very appealing manor. You almost wish you had a camera with you because the food presentation is so colorful, and the different shaped china plates and elegant glasses, make dining there feel like a special event. Tonight we had Grandma's duck, which is sliced duck breast in a sweet and sour sauce with mangos, tomatoes, and cucumber. A second dish was garlic cooked shrimp with broccoli. For appetizers we had corn and crab soup, and crab and shrimp wonton soup. For dessert we shared a peach melba which was heavenly, as was the Blue Hawaiian drink. The decor of the place is very rich with Thai accents and cultural items. We've been going for a number of years, and love it each time.

Thank Annandale,Va.
Reviewed 24 September 2013

All four of us enjoyed every dish we ordered for dinner. We had the Garlic Shrimp and Garlic Beef, both were delicious - the broccoli was an excellent component of the dish. The house rice was really well done with great flavor and full of shrimp etc. All our dishes save one were not spicy - and were great. The one 3 chili's hot was spicy but certainly not a mouth burner. As others have said, the portions could have been larger, otherwise WOW! Oh, service could not have been nicer or more professional - just great.