“Wish I had tried it sooner” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Burmese
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Falls Church, Virginia
“Wish I had tried it sooner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

We have lived near Myanmar for about 14 years before we gave it a try. That was a mistake. It turns out to be one of the better Asian restaurants in our area. It is small and we were lucky to get seated with no wait, but a wait would have been well worthwhile. The food was quite good and the menu extensive. I look forward to trying more of it.

Fairfax, Virginia, United States
“MSG is in everything!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

I am of Burmese decent but, grew up in Northern, VA
I would give this restaurant a 1 star.

For a awhile this was the only Burmese restaurant in the Northern, Virginia area until
"A Taste of Burma" opened in Sterling, VA.

I have been here a about half a dozen times.

Pros: The food is spot on as far as having authentic Burmese flavor.

Cons: I know the owner and her daughter is the only wait staff they have. She is super super slow. Seems as if her heart is not into working here or working at all. You would think it being her mom's business she would have more enthusiasm. Oh well.

On one occasion we went for lunch. My husband ordered the Beef Curry. The waitress came back about 30 minutes later and told us that they were out of beef. WHAT? it took her that long to tell us. Of course we had to start all over and again and figure out what else to order. Needless to say it took another 30 plus minutes to get our dishes on the table.

This type of service happens every time we have visited. They are always out of one or more of their dishes on the menu.
If you are going in for a quick meal , forget it! Your wait will be long be warned!

My brother has complained about having really bad headaches after eating here because they put too much MSG in their dishes.

The other thing is their food is loaded with sodium, it is hard to enjoy your meal when all you are tasting is the extreme amount of salt they put in the food.

I will probably not be going back again unless they change their recipes by not adding MSG and a ton of salt.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Oamaru, New Zealand
“Great authentic Burmese in an unlikely spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

Burmese cuisine is relatively unknown outside of Burma, but offers excellent dishes that would appeal to anyone who likes Thai or Indian. Try the tea salad and ginger salad for real treats. Service is very efficient, and helpful if you are nor familiar with the menu.

Visited June 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good, authentic Burmese food with friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I'm likely not as qualified as some of the other reviewers, I'm not a native and have never visited Burma/Myanmar and have only dined at four Burmese restaurants. With that caveat, I can say that Myanmar is worth the visit. It's not a fancy restaurant but the owners have worked hard to make it warm, inviting, and attractive. The food seems authentic to me based on my limited experience. Don't go expecting Indian or Thai food, Burmese cuisine is influenced by these but is more subtle.

Be sure to ask for advice when ordering or go by the old Burmese saying ""Of all the fruit, the mango's the best; of all the meat, the pork's the best; and of all the leaves, lahpet's (pickled tea leaves) the best." I suggest the shrimp with sour mustard plant, pork with mango curry, and the tea leaf salad.

As others have said, service can be slow try to go when they aren't busy.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Falls Church, Virginia
“very good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

went here on a weeknight so the place was pretty empty. We were 2 families with young children and it was definitely child-friendly. The food was very good -- especially the mutton curry. But as far as comparing to our SE Asian cuisine, Burmese food is not spicey at all. They use a lot of peanuts and definitely have a lot of influence from its Indian neighbour with the curries.

• Visited November 2010