“Great Place for Budget Stay”
Review of Governor House Inn

Governor House Inn
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Falls Church
GreenLeadersBronze level
Long Island, NY
“Great Place for Budget Stay”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

If you're expecting a five-star hotel, this is not it. It is however an awesome deal on a budget. Location is great, only a few minutes from Metro which will take you into DC and a free shuttle to pick you up and drop you off, almost on your schedule, not theirs. Staff was so friendly and constantly bending over backwards to make you feel like you were the only guest and a long-time friend. We had a couple of minor, minor issues, but they were easily taken care of and quickly. Standard room which was clean, roomy and comfortable. An outdoor pool was always clean and a lifeguard was on duty. Benches around the hotel invite you to sit outside and enjoy the evening. There is a shopping center across the highway with a 24-hour CVS in case you forgot something, and a few other food and drinking establishments in the area, so one doesn't even have to get in a car if you just want a little R&R. We will definitely stay again on our next trip to the DC area.

Room Tip: If you have an issue climbing stairs, make sure to get a room close to the main lobby. Part of the...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dave C, Inn Keeper at Governor House Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
"If you're expecting a five-star hotel, this is not it"

Perfect description over all and thank you so much for staying with us and sharing for others.
With the number of reviews it's obvious you travel a bit and experienced review's are invaluable.

Apologies for the minor issues mentioned, with the building still being new to us and the age of her (folks keep mentioning how it seems like the food channel reality shows to them, but most days I feel more like it's a home improvement show) I'm glad to hear how well the team responded. End of the day we know how important these trips can be -especially that well earned vacation and want to do everything we can to insure guests feel like family with us.

There's still a lot of work ahead but the Inn has really come alive and I'm so thankful for you and all the guests staying with us and giving us the opportunity to host your stays with so many options available out there.!

Thank you!
Dave & Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Suffern, Ny
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I was skeptical when I saw all of the great customer reviews of the Governor House Inn. The reviews were all different, but had common themes -- good value for the money, but most of all, great service. Many mentioned the owner, Dave, by name. For the price and proximity to DC, I felt it was worth giving it a try.

The other reviews were spot on...the facilities offer pretty much what you would expect from a 2 star hotel/motel. It includes free breakfast, wifi, parking, and a swimming pool. I did have the good fortune of meeting Dave, the owner, whom I had read so much about. He was extremely helpful and generous with my family. You can tell that he is working hard to generate positive word of mouth and online reviews. We had a great breakfast one morning at the onsite restaurant, Bentley's.

I would definitely recommend The Governor House Inn if you are visiting Washington DC.

1 Thank Brian S
Brian,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and stay with us!
I'm very pleased you were happy with the stay and that the reviews did not let you down.
It is the sharing of these experiences that help paint a complete picture of our Inn and can't stress how much I appreciate all the 2 star references.

Thank you again for giving us the opportunity to host your visit!
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Based upon the reviews of the Governor's House Inn, my expectations were higher than what the reality was. I do know that the inn has recently changed owners, and Dave is doing his best to do right by this inn. It's a large undertaking and he's working very hard to be successful.

The hotel is very charming and alot larger than you initially think. The location to DC is great. Bentley's restaurant is good home-style cooking. On site breakfast was okay, but lacked fruit (we had apples on 3 of 6 days -otherwise nothing). Cereal, donuts/pastry, eggs and sausage or sausage/biscuits, coffee/tea/milk/juice, yogurt. Not fancy but it was enough to get us started. The dining room was very good size but worn and in need of a good carpet cleaning, with TV and we never had to wait to eat even though there were always guests there.

Friendly staff, but lacking some customer service skills (watching TV, making personal calls, visiting with friends during work hours). They were attentive to needs and those needs were met (except for the first night when we were not given a rollaway bed (the request was on our reservation) and we were told that housekeeping had already left and a bed could not be delivered.

Rooms are a bit old and need some work (loose outlets that would not hold the plug, old A/C thermostat & it never reached the target temp to turn off, worn beds (dipped in the middle), bathroom door wouldn't latch, loose shower faucet). Smoke seemed to come in from the vents which was annoying but tolerable. We didn't ask for another room because we overheard another guest ask to be moved due to smoke and they were told they don't move guest because of smoke. And they will be a smoke free hotel by August.

The pool was very nice, and opens at 1pm when the lifeguard comes on duty This is the first hotel I've been at where there was a lifeguard. I did see him assist a child who got a cramp while swimming, he threw in his floatation device and helped the child to the side of the pool.

On the day we arrived there were a group of guests who were enjoying their cooler of beer at the pool after an obviously hot and tiring day of work . They were nice enough, but inappropriate for the location - coarse language and drinking just didn't seem to fit into the atmosphere that the Governor's Inn is trying to promote.

I would stay there again- and hope that in time Dave will make this a great inn. It has potential!

1 Thank five4theroad
Dave C, Inn Keeper at Governor House Inn, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Five4theroad,
Thank you so much for such a detailed and informative review of our Inn!
I sincerely appreciate your allowing us to host your stay -but on top of that can't thank you enough for painting such a clear picture of the Inn to assist others in making a decision!
She is a lot of work but coming along nicely and I think your words painted a great view of where with all the work and efforts.

I also appreciate your mentioning a few items that can use some adjustment/training as we move forward. This is a great review for others - Thank you so much for the time taken and please give a ring next time heading out our way!

Dave
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We came for a 25 class reunion in Maryland. Located right on Rt 50 in Va, this was a great location for all of the folks we needed to see!
Great restaurant on premises where we ate just about every meal ( breakfast is better than IHOP across the street!!!! )
We arrived during a heat wave. A muggy heat wave! Cold room AC and a clean pool! We made use of the pool daily!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank dogpatchcopilot
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for the great comments!
We sincerely appreciate all our guests that are taking the time to share their experiences and post as we have only our word of mouth to depend on vs. some brand.

We look forward to hosting your next trip east!

PS -thanks for adding the pool shots!
New white coating, deck, etc. etc- good to see so many enjoying it -makes the effort and cost so worth while!

Morton, Illinois
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I felt that the staff and everyone was nice and friendly. Being out of the area they were able to help in getting directions and pointing out the attractios in the area. I feel that my stay was very good and was better then the big chain hotels. I would recommend anyone staying, and if you feel that something is not good or not happy about any service the management people really take your concerns in to mind and will solve and address the issues, not that I had any. I felt my stay there was very good experience. :)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Dave C, Front Office Manager at Governor House Inn, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us and especially for taking the time to share!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Stay away from this place!!! I'm serious!! Rooms smelled terrible, bathrooms were horrible. I'm very surprise how this hotel passed any kind of code inspection. Bus driver never showed up to pick up our group at the Metro station. Waited almost 2 hours and many calls later we decided to take taxis.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank HAYHA
Dave C, Inn Keeper at Governor House Inn, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review!

With so many positive reviews I was actually beginning to worry that people may have the wrong impression of our Inn, so this is very useful to us, reminds us and lets everyone know while we try as hard as we can things do get missed sadly. Despite the rankings for service I was worried folks would mistake us for more than a 2 star Inn and book expecting one of the much bigger, fancier and more expensive branded property type rooms ranked beneath us. I never want to disappoint a guest and appreciate your sharing your issues.

As for the issues mentioned, they are simply not acceptable. While I will be taking the time to try and track the room down through out today please reach out to me so I can know which room you stayed in in case a different housekeeper has already cleaned the mildew before I find it. I also wish to know why my this wasn't personally brought to my attention to solve and find you a different room by my team. If you can give me a call I'd greatly appreciate it as it would assist to prevent this again.

The other concern is with us running shuttle service now from 5-9 evenings and 7-11 mornings and with it still being a new service only in place for less than 2 weeks I've been on site for every shift since it started seven days a week and seriously disappointed on how this could have occurred.

Again please reach out so I may make amends as we spend a considerable amount of time to insure satisfaction for our guests and am very disappointed in myself to have not learned of this during your stay.

Thank you again for sharing.
Butler, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 July 2013

My sisters and I take a sister trip each year. This year we decided to travel to Washington DC to see the site of our Nation's Capitol. So glad we stayed at this Hotel. The hotel was clean and comfortable and the hotel owner and staff were very friendly and knowledgeable of the area. The hotel location was perfect for my sister and I to enjoy the sites of the capitol and relax after a long day of site-seeing. In addition, the pool was an awesome place to cool off, laugh and enjoy the company of sisters. Dave and his staff added to our perfect family vacation, sharing ideas about the area (places to shop, eat, and things to see and do). My sisters and I plan to return to the DC area when the Cherry Blossoms are in bloom. We will definitely be staying at the Governor's House Inn when we return with our families. Thank you Dave for all you did to help make our trip special. I will recommend your hotel. See you in the Spring!

1 Thank Daphne2847
Daphne,
It was an extreme delight meeting you and your sisters! I truly enjoyed your taking the time to speak with me during my morning property rounds and finding guests utilizing the benches. I really wanted to feel like it was our front porch by adding those and meeting ya'll made my morning.

Thank you so much for also taking the time to review here -it means a lot to the staff and I to see the responses here, it makes the long days worth every minute!

We look forward to seeing your family again in the spring - or sooner if you get the chance.

Thank you!