“Great Place To Stay”

Governor House Inn
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Falls Church
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I've never written a review in my life, but this place deserves a few minutes of my time. We only stayed there two nights. The thing that really stands out at this place is the people and the service. Every employee there seems willing to go out of their way to make sure your stay is nice. It's not far from the metro and they offer a free shuttle to the station. It's a short ride into DC. The whole staff is ready to answer any questions you have. The next time I go to the DC area, I plan to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank m k
Dave C, Inn Keeper at Governor House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

MK,
Wow - Thank you so much for taking a time and I'm so pleased to learn the team did such a great job during your stay! We really have striven to preserve a simple full service Country Inn & Diner feel with in the Beltway and 80% of that is service and value. Our Guests are our family and it really makes everyone's day to have folks leave feeling like that. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience.

As always with these very very nice and kind reviews - we want to remind others, were not some fancy big box brand out here (Nor do we ever wish to be). Were just a simple 1959 Red Brick Americana Motorlodge from a time when route 50 connected the country for those summer vacations in days gone by. Value and service w/ the amenities and a smile, but not a fancy new building w/ atriums, lights, or purty lobbies that cost an arm and a leg. Thank you MK. and everyone on trip advisor for all the kind comments!

All the Best in 2014!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Had to go to a funeral and needed a room for the night. We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful. Room was very clean and had all of the conveniences that we needed. I would definitely stay here again if the need arises.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Wanda P

Wanda,
While I'm often saddened by the circumstances that lead to me meeting so many of our guests with the number of funerals we accommodate for Arlington for our Brother's and Sister's families I can't say enough how much we appreciate these posts and your taking the time to share your experience with others.
I look forward to hosting a future trip out under more pleasant circumstance Ma'am.

Regards,
Dave & Staff

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We booked half a dozen rooms for a funeral. From the moment I stoped in a day before to inspect and book to the moment we checked out Dave and his crew smoothed the way and made a difficult time significantly easier. We chose this motel originaly based on location. When I first drove up I had some initioal concerns. I found myself lookong at a motel. A clean and orderly looking motel but just a motel nontheless, However, when I stepped into the lobby my concerns started to melt away. I was immediately greeted in a warm and inviting manner and when I explained the purpose of my visit Dave, the general manager, took over and showed me around. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The property includs Bently's a stand alone diner/resteraunt at which Dave set up a semiprivate room after normal breakfast hours for us to use for a before ceremony brunch. Further thr price was more than right. They have breakdast included and even a reduced funeral rate. So, if you need a place convenient to the National or to Arrlington Cemetary or just a place convenient to Falls Church or DC stay here you will be greeted as a friend and you will not be disapointed with your stay. Thanks Dave,

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank pnutandbensparents
Dave C, Inn Keeper at Governor House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

THANK YOU Sir! This is exactly who and what we are:

"When I first drove up I had some initial concerns. I found myself looking at a motel. A clean and orderly looking motel but just a motel nonetheless, However, when I stepped into the lobby my concerns started to melt away. I was immediately greeted in a warm and inviting manner"

Cant say how much we appreciate this post, the team and I really worry with the reviews and rankings on these sites people will mistake us for gleaming corpity Hotels with all the bells and whistles in the rooms that they charge an arm and a leg for. Whereas we strive to be a family style inn that's more affordable with all the needs fulfilled w/ a smile-response to this has been great which is where we get concerned. Reviews such as yours truly help folks considering us understand who we are.

While the circumstances of your stay were sad, I sincerely appreciate your allowing us to host your family and assist. It was a pleasure meeting everyone and I look forward to seeing your family again when they are out our way for vacations, reunions, weddings and happier events.

Please relay our Holiday wishes and thanks to all of them for us!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

The stuffs are very warm and nice. The breakfast was also good, considering what you paid. The service to send you to the Metro station in the morning and pick you up in the evening is very helpful. The driver of the service is really nice and informative.

The only thing that needs to be improved is the room service. One day during our 4-night stay, the room was not cleaned. We were told that "Don't disturb" card was hanging out in our door. We saw that when we came back from the DC trip on the day. But we don't remember we did that. Probably we should not complain the server. Maybe my son (9 years old) did that unpurposely. However, the hotel has my mobile phone number. Also the hotel knew that we were heading to D.C for a day-trip on the day, since the driver send us to the Metro station in the morning. If they called us and confirmed that we don't want to have room service, it would have avoided it from happening. That is why I gave it 4 as my rating.

Except that, we were very happy with the service in general.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

XuedongYang ,

First I want to thank you for staying with us and especially taking the time to share your experience! Secondly I want to apologize for taking so long to get a response here - if my guests take the time to share I need to take the time to thank them!

I think the review was once again spot on about our little Inn especially "The staffs are very warm and nice. The breakfast was also good, considering what you paid" - We truly strive to provide personalized Service at a price point that can't be beat, the age of the Inn allows us to do so and every review posted helps future guests understand what we are - a simple friendly country style Inn that while not fancy will go out of our way to make sure you feel at home!

As for the do not disturb sign - I think you are on to something there, we could have taken the time to give you a call to verify. I never thought of doing this before because I've always interpreted a do not disturb as don't bother the guest ((((And occasionally my years in the fancy branded 200 dollar a night we're doing you a favor hotels still clouds my judgment - but I'm fighting out of those bad habits!))) but after your post I agree a guest likely wouldn't mind a courtesy call to verify no service when we have a cell number available. So going to start trying this with the team to gauge response on your suggestion.

Thank you again for taking the time to share the suggestion and staying with us - wishing you and your family safe travels and a great New year!

Dave

Reviewed 6 November 2013

When I stayed at the Governor House Inn, in October, it was one of my favorite stays at a hotel. And I will tell you why.All the workers were real nice. Every time I went to the hotel lobby, the worker behind the desk spoke to me, no matter what I needed to do, get some ice, use the rest room, use the internet, or needed something from them. It was awesome having a shuttle bus to take you back-and-forth to the train station. That made it convenient.The drivers were very nice, and fun to talk to.Moreover, the hotel had things that a lot of hotels didn't have, and are more expensive to stay.They have aspects for a reasonable price. For example, a refrigerator, an ironing board, and free internet.In addition, free breakfast with good food. Good eggs, etc. And the main woman working in the room was nice and friendly.Another thing what was awesome was, the hotel workers cleaned my room everyday.Most hotels won't do that.Furthermore, the Top Boss man was nice. He spoke to me every time he saw me, and greeted me when I first arrived. How many hotel leaders do that.I had a warm feeling the whole time I was there. And the Governors House Inn will definitely be my primary choice when I return to the Washington DC area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank 426Danny
Dave C, Inn Keeper at Governor House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Danny,
Thank you this is one of the nicest reviews to date and really made the entire team feel great! Thank you for taking the time to share, our goal through out is to treat every Guest as our family when they are with us and it is great to have that recognized. I also appreciate the kind words for my efforts also - it's a challenge to try and make contact with every guest in a facility with 119 rooms but I do my very best. It means a lot personally to have that recognized, I can't say how much I appreciate each and every person that allows us to host their stay and join us for a few a days. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

1 hour after checking out and 50 miles away I realized that I had left my wallet in my room.
I called the hotel, spoke with the front desk. Within 5 minutes I received a return call notifying me that they had my wallet.
Over the next few days, while trying to arrange a fed-ex pickup I spoke to four different people.All of them were very courteous and knowledgeable of the situation. Not only did I get my wallet back (with a substantial amount of cash still in it) but i also received a follow up call from the GM to make sure everything was fine.
Luxury can be nice, but a courteous competent (and honest) staff trumps all!
(I was so impressed that I sent the front desk staff a box of chocolate)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Herb,
Thank you for staying with us and especially for taking the time to share your experience! I'm really pleased with how it all worked out, with the call coming in going into the weekend I believe it went through the entire team here - from housekeeper to the supervisor, then exec and then shift to shift with most of my desk team trying to time the pick up for it to be sent out. Everyone was worried by the amount and kept passing it one to one shift to shift personally. My call was more due to knowing half the team handled the wallet and to insure everything was correct. While we can not be responsible for items left behind it was a really good feeling to know the entire team gave the effort and honesty to take care of one of our Guests again. Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed here in early October, when family gathered for a funeral at Arlington. We booked 8 rooms and received a good rate. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the staff was very helpful with accomodating our group. The owner provided a space where we could all get together at the same time throughout our stay, and helped arrange an after funeral luncheon at the adjacent restaurant. We got to spend quality time with family that might have been difficult at any other hotel.Many of the family are planning to return to Washington next spring, when hopefully all the attractions will be open. Governor House Inn will be our first choice for accomodations.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Laura,
It was an honor to host your family, having done my time as a paratrooper I find it rewarding to be able to assist my brother's and sisters families at times like this. Usually I get referred to and can do better with the advance planning, where as I believe your family reserved separately on their own vs. as a group referral. I was very pleased to have the opportunity to meet and assist everyone. To me everyone tied into Arlington is my family and I look forward to seeing everyone next spring. Thank you for taking the time to share here Ma'am - I sincerely Appreciate it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Falls Church
#31 of 52 in Arlington
Inns of Virginia - Falls Church
Inns of Virginia - Falls Church
#11 of 15 in Falls Church

Been to Governor House Inn? Share your experiences!