“I wouldn't stay here again.”

The Westin Tysons Corner
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Falls Church
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I wouldn't stay here again. I've stayed in quieter hotels in a party city like Vegas. Don't stay here if you want quiet. Slamming doors, shouting in the hall at all hours, 7am and then again at 10pm. Someone even frightened me by trying to open our door, not to mention a random call at 7am that woke us up. Never, ever have I had such a strange stay at a hotel. I swear every time someone next door used the bathroom I would hear water running. When the air condition kicks in its kinda loud, woke me up, so glad I had ear plugs. No free wifi. As someone else mentioned, elevators are tiny, there is one larger one. My husband was also disappointed in the television channels available.

What I did like was the Starbucks coffee in the room, they gave us 2 free bottles of water daily, the hair dryer is decent, bed was comfy, lifeguard in duty at the pool, pool was nice. Theres a small cooler available to keep our water cool.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 4th floor... I guess, so loud.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ericaberryy
gmres1, General Manager at The Westin Tysons Corner, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Many thanks for your feedback. I am sorry that your experience was less than pleasant. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional service and product offerings. This is certainly not indicative of us and for that I apologize. I appreciate your review and would be grateful for a chance to connect with you further. I invite you to please contact me direct at mnamdar@westintysonscorner.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Not bad, but not great, either. Very good customer service, with friendly and responsive front desk. I'd also recommend the full-service restaurant, which offered uniformly tasty food. (The marinara-style dipping sauce which is provided as an appetizer was among the best I've ever had!) The room I stayed in was comfortable, though somewhat cramped. The hotel offers a free shuttle service to/from local shopping malls and the West Falls Church Metro station, but the schedule is rather limited and somewhat problematic. For example, the Metro runs until midnight (3 am on Fridays and Saturdays), but the hotel's shuttle service ends at 10 on weekdays (somewhat later on weekends, but still not as late as Metro runs). If you opt for a cab to make the roughly 1.5 mile trip from the train station, it may cost upwards of $20 if traffic is bad (a near-certainty in this busy location, especially during the long suburban Virginia rush hour . . . and the cabs seem to quit running after 9 or 10 pm, so you may find yourself in a difficult spot unless you plan ahead. It is not the kind of area you'd feel safe walking in alone late at night.) Other issues: the hotel seems open and is brightly let in most areas, except for the lobby, which feels claustrophobic; the "business suite" for guests' use is hard to find; and an access fee of $10.95 per 24 hours for Internet service seems very steep for an establishment that caters to business client. (There is free Wifi available in the lobby, but the seats are not really designed for laptop users.) Bottom line, you won't go wrong staying here, but unless you've got some sort of discount, you may want to look elsewhere first.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the parking lot; rooms on the other side of the hotel overlook a noisy, a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Much thanks for your review. We're delighted to know that you enjoyed your food in the restaurant and the service of the front desk team. Thank you again for your comments; we hope to welcome you back in the near future if/when your travels return you to Tysons.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

It seems to be at the tail end of a renovation. That's appreciated. The typical welcoming Westin scents are not lost. The work out gear, like other Westins, are short on Mens Large. That seems like it could be fixed with ease but continues to be a problem. The "starbucks" is not a Starbucks - but that is to be expected.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
gmres1, General Manager at The Westin Tysons Corner, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments. It's always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

The people here are very nice, but the technology is just not up to speed. Hotel chains like Westin want to try to make you feel at home, and my "home" morning ritual begins with watching Mike & Mike in the Morning on ESPN2. On Tuesday morning, I woke up to a frozen image on the screen for ESPN2. I reported it to the guest service, who simply said they would report it to the Engineering Department (I guess I could not expect the Guest Service at the Front Desk to be able to fix this at 06:00 AM). Then, Tuesday night May 13, I wanted to watch the NBA Conference Semifinals on TNT. Once again, no luck. TNT was out throughout the entire hotel. I guess it would have been expecting too much to get management to react to this (surely, I could not have been the only disgusted guest in the hotel over this!) and to get it right tonight, Wednesday, May 14 for the NBA Conference Semifinals on TNT! The exact same problem. It's now 11:30 PM, and I have been waiting after my last call 30 minutes ago, where I was asked (and agreed) "would you like us to send an engineer up to your room to see if they can fix it there?" BUYER BEWARE: the guest service representative last night asked me "are you trying to watch a game, as it seems to always happen during some type of game." So, if you have to stay here on a night of a game, my advice is to locate a Buffalo Wild Wings or other sports bar you can head to, like I am about to do.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

I was mortified to read your review and dismayed at what you experienced; thank you for bringing this to our attention. We pay a lot of money for the TV services at the hotel and I am not sure what happened on the GAME DAY. On behalf of all the staff, we apologize for any displeasure. I can assure you this is not consistent with our Hotel’s track record and I’m hopeful you will contact me personally at (703) 394-2121 to discuss the matter further.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

A quick family trip turned out to be very memorable visit--thanks to the wonderful staff at the Westin! I was greeted by name by the front desk staff, wished a Happy Birthday, and informed that we had been upgraded--to the Presidential Suite! When we got up to the suite, the staff even had birthday cake waiting! I travel a lot, and I can honestly say I've never been greeted so warmly anywhere. The stay was truly wonderful. Thanks for making this trip a really memorable one!!! You can bet we'll be using this hotel in the future!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
gmres1, General Manager at The Westin Tysons Corner, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

What a joy it was to read your review. I really appreciate your thoughtful comments and was extermley pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your entire experience. I am really gratful for our remarkable staff. We would not receive glowing reviews like yours were it not for our staff who indeed are second to none in providing caring and memorable service for our guests. I’m looking forward to sharing your review with our entire team and thank you again for sharing such kind words about our Hotel. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I love the location of this Westin - easy in and out access off Leesburg Pike (Rt. 7) just inside the beltway. I like not dealing with the congestion and construction, confusing access roads, and long traffic lights around the mall area in Tyson's Corner. From here you can easily hop on the beltway or 66, or easily go east on Rt. 7 and access anywhere in Arlington, Pentagon City, Crystal City, etc. As other reviewers have said, this is an older property and not on par with the standards at newer Westins. But at least, still the same comfortable bed and linens. My lower floor room had the feeling of being in a basement. There was a tall concrete wall directly outside the window letting in no morning light at all on a bright sunny day. Not even enough light to put on makeup by natural daylight.

Room Tip: Lower floor windows blocked by concrete wall.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
gmres1, General Manager at The Westin Tysons Corner, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood and Westin Hotels. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional service and product offerings. I am proud to announce that we have property enhancements in progress and we have further enhancements planned for the future. I appreciate your review and invite you to return real soon. Be Well, Mark N.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

This was certainly not the best Westin I have stayed in, but it was within the range for brand standards. The price was significantly lower than other area hotels so I am willing to grant quite a bit of leeway. The property was clean. The room had enough space, including work space, for my needs. The bathroom was clean, but small. The one real sour note was the sushi bar in the lobby. When I checked in, the front desk person was really promoting it and urging me to stop by. I did and took it up to my room. After 3 bites, I gave it up and called for room service.

Also, where I was staying was quite noisy. I could hear everything in the hall and what was going on in the room next door. The people were definitely being extremely loud, but I was surprised.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
gmres1, General Manager at The Westin Tysons Corner, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts about your stay. I’ve shared your comments regarding Sushi Nami with our Food & Beverage team and appreciate your feedback. I am sorry that your experience was less than pleasant. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional service and product offerings. This is certainly not indicative of us and for that I apologize
I hope we can welcome you back in the very near future so we can exceed those expectations. Thank you again for your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Falls Church
Sheraton Tysons Hotel
Sheraton Tysons Hotel
#9 of 14 in Tysons Corner
Embassy Suites by Hilton Tysons Corner

Been to The Westin Tysons Corner? Share your experiences!