“Very Clean, dog-friendly, nice staff”

The Westin Tysons Corner
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Falls Church
New York City
“Very Clean, dog-friendly, nice staff”
Reviewed 3 November 2010

We stayed in a very pleasant two-room suite at the Westin and really enjoyed our experience. The decor is pleasant, pretty much as pictured on the website, and included a living room area with a stylish bronze velvet couch (stylish enough I'd have it in my own home) and two armchairs + a huge TV; a dining area with a four-seat table (lacquered wood to protect against spills); a large bedroom with king sized bed, armchair and desk; and a clean, white-tiled bathroom. In the bedroom, there's a coffee maker that brews 12-ounce cups of Starbucks coffee and a minibar with just enough room in it for me to squeeze in a small bottle of my own milk for coffee (they provide half and half) and two wedges of cheese.

The only nitpicks I have about the room are these: (1) There was noise from the next room over through a locked connecting door one night. I don't think there were guests in that room for the remainder of the weekend, since we heard nothing else. (2) The lighting around the closet was too dim, so it was very hard to see in. (3) The closet was very small and only large enough for one suitcase at the most, placed on top of the safe. (4) The toilet paper was awfully thin even though other amenities were quite nice. (5) The mini bar selections were on the expensive side, but probably nothing too out of the ordinary for hotels in major metropolitan areas.

Importantly for us, the hotel was very dog friendly, not just on paper, but in practice, too. We liked that the staff was diverse and all very nice to our well behaved shiba inu, they left us a cute, small bag with poop bags and disposable gloves to remind us to pick up after ourselves.

We didn't have a problem with the pool closing at 9 p.m. The warm pool and hot tub were very clean and there was a bored-looking lifeguard on duty in case anyone was in danger of drowning in a 4' 1" pool. The pool wasn't Olympic sized, but large enough for laps. Exercise room was well equipped and fairly large.

There's a good amount of free parking in the lot; internet is about $11 / day in the room (but free in the lobby, I think... we didn't try it, there).

A note on the location: I understand that there isn't a direct link to DC, but that the hotel runs shuttles 2-3 times a day to the nearest metro. We drove, so this wasn't a problem for us. I loved the area for its proximity (15-20 min) to several major nature preserves for dog walking, to the famous Eden Center (where there's lots of great Vietnamese food), and to DC by car. The immediate area isn't the most beautiful, with several major roads running by and several office parks.

All in all a very nice hotel and a pleasant stay for us. It's probably not somewhere you'd want to stay on honeymoon, but for a business or weekend trip, it was perfect.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed 2 November 2010

The hotel was nice but the shuttle to the Metro only goes from 7-10 A.M. and doesn't go again until 7:00 P.M. The pool closes at 9 PM. The room's doors slam when you close them so there is no way to sleep in. Woke us up at 6:00 AM both mornings we stayed!! We had cold water our last day for showering. We were told there was breakfast served every day, but it was actually a restaurant where an omlet was $15 alone! For a 4 Star hotel i was not impressed at all!

San Antonio
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Stay at the Westin Tysons Corner often for business. Like the location, as it's close to Tysons (free shuttle to/from hotel) but not so close that you get stuck in all the famous Tysons traffic. Older hotel (used to be a Doubletree), but they've renovated it pretty nicely. Can't beat the Heavenly Bed, but the food is pretty expensive and all the parking is outside (not fun during winter there). High speed internet is pretty bad (very slow speeds most of the time).

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Ken R
Roanoke, VA
Reviewed 11 October 2010

The rooms here are a bit smaller than other Westins that I have stayed at, but it is worth it to have peace of mind. The beds are very comfortable...especially the pillows. Everything was clean and nice. The front desk staff was great! Pool was very nice. Business center has three computers and a copier/printer. Starbucks in the lobby is decent. Wish there were fridges in the room instead of the "cooler", but overall it was a great deal and a nice stay. I was told the room service was great, but it was gone by the time I got back up. :)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 10 October 2010

The Westin hotel was really nice and clean. Hidden away behind a cherry cabinet was a refrigerator . The king size bed was very comfortable for the two nights my husband and I stayed at this hotel. Although we did not have a suite, the room did contain a nice size flat screen tv, a chair w/pillow and a leather ottoman. We really enjoyed the fact that the hotel is located minutes from the Tyson Corner shopping malls and resturants like the Cheesecake Factory & Maggianos are in the area.

WInston Salem
Reviewed 10 October 2010

I arrived after a 5 hour road trip with my family on Friday night at about 11:00 PM. As I drove up to the Hotel I noticed many young kids outside, smoking and drinking. Apparently there was an event at the hotel that had spilled out into the parking lot. I actually asked the man at the hotel, " Is this place safe for my family?". There where drunk "woman of the night" roaming in the lobby and around the front enterance. I know this becasue as I sat and smoked on the front bench I could hear the negotiations going on. The man at the counter said, once you get to your room you will be alright. Ok, so I sat in front of this place for an hour smoking my Gloria Cubana and II can tell you I counted about 7 shady looking females come and go. Being from NY I can tell a service girl from a regular guest. Long and short here is the place transforms after hours becasue the next day, the day shoft was there and I couldnt have been happier with the service we recieved. The place is generally clean but I would chose another place to bring my family as this place reminded me of a night club every night after 10:00 PM. Also, and I hate to bring this up becasue Im not sure it will be relevant to everyone, but, there was not one native english speaking employee at the Hotel. Not one.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We were pleased with every aspect of our business stay. There was a unique Japanese tea and music happening next to the bar when we were there, which made me feel like I was on a bit of a retreat while business traveling. The bartender was accomodating and the apps were tasty.

Meeting staff met our needs and the business center helped out when we needed them.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Omni Shoreham Hotel
#69 of 141 in Washington DC
Sheraton Tysons Hotel
#9 of 14 in Tysons Corner

Been to The Westin Tysons Corner? Share your experiences!