“Strange but OK”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fancy Gap
Beverley, United Kingdom
“Strange but OK”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

If you can get past all the toys and knick knacks this is an OK place to stay as you travel the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is VERY cheap, but it is clean, has comfy beds and bath in the bathroom. It is shabby but excellent value for money.

The woman who checked us in could do with attending a charm school, though!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Bishopburt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed one evening just traveling through from New York to South Carolina. Reserved a king sized bed room through Travelocity for about $38. When we got there no one was at the counter, so you have to call and they come out and check you in. Strange. The woman was not entirely friendly nor rude, but just cold in manner.

When we got into the room (with lots of knick knacks, dolls etc all over the place so its hard to have a spot to put your suitcase) we noticed it did not have a king size bed in it like we reserved but 2 double beds instead. So I went down to the front desk and called to ask why we didn't get the room we reserved. The gentleman on the phone stumbled over his words saying something rather unbelievable (and made up on the spot without a doubt) about the heating/air conditioning unit breaking in that room earlier in the day and it would be 5 days til he could repair it. I was shocked they didn't bother to alert us about the room change when we checked in. No bother, carry on... yeah.

They only left one packet of coffee in the room which is pretty typical for a hotel so I asked (over the phone) for another packet of coffee for in the morning. They said they won't give you another packet- you have to go down to the vending machine in the creepy, cluttered with dolls lobby and PURCHASE more coffee. What??? Never heard of such a thing. Not cool.

The last and final straw was the price we were charged for the room. With taxes and fees the room should have been about $38 (for a room with different sized beds than we reserved ) but it ended up being $53 something. I asked (politely) about the price and the lady said it was a service charge for booking through Travelocity. I didn't note on Travelocity's site that there was a service charge (and have never paid one for booking on Travelocity before anywhere else) but she wouldn't back down nor honor the printed confirmation of the price I had in my hands. It was midnight when we checked in and there weren't too many other options in that place that we knew of. So we were stuck with it.

I'd just beware if you do decide to stay there. Make sure you have their price signed with the blood of their first born so you aren't over charged for a room you reserved (and don't even get- aren't even warned about for that matter- what kind of hospitality school did they go to?), that you don't need any extra coffee (heaven forbid you might need to Toilet paper I can't imagine), and that you aren't afraid of dolls in your room, knick knacks all over the place, and that you don't need a friendly nor hospitable host. We will NOT be staying here again, we'll opt for the back seat of the car.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AmyInNiagara
Marlinton, West Virginia
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Clean room, stayed in #17. Everything worked. Pleasant and fast check in. Located just off parkway. Flat paved parking for those mc riders. No restaurants in walking distance but a short drive. Cell service, internet, only 10 tv channels so no weather channel. Bottom line: this is old school lodging. If you are looking for a bed in a box with big screen, HBO and modern furnishings, you won't find it at a $34.00 motel. There is a Days Inn just down the street. Travels, check this place out, tourists go down the street.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Cloudcroft, New Mexico
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This was a stop for us after a fog filled day on the BRP. The owner was very nice and gave some good advice as far as getting to Mt. Airy. No noise, wonderful night sleep and very inexpensive. Would recommend whole heartedly!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NewMexicoGrammer
Woodstock, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I was on my way north in April of 2013 from an extended stay in Florida. I needed a place to rest from the long drive. I certainly got it. The room was comfortable, very clean and reasonably priced. The owners were friendly and gave me good advice. I will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Kenneth K
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 March 2014

First let me start off by stating that my husband and I aren't picky about our hotel rooms. As long as the place is clean, with a decent shower, a comfortable bed, and in a safe area we are fine with it. This motel fit the bill and we would stay here again without hesitation. There are NO frills here just a basic room to sleep in.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pinkgal47
Bluefield, VA
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Setting in my room at Country View. I've wanted to stay here for a long time, and finally the opportunity came. The wife and I took off for a 24 hour road trip and we stopped here. This place is as quaint and quiet as I thought it would be. Far enough from I77 that I couldn't hear any traffic. Cleaner than most chains we've stayed at. No frills (micro, fridge) but a nice, clean, quiet place to rest. TV has minimal channels, but clear. Coffee maker in room. Beds are comfortable, pillows fluffy. The decor is nice :). Seems to be Noah meets Valentines Day :). Bath very clean. The price we payed was well within our budget. We will come back. I'll recommend Country View to any and all.

Room Tip: Off the beaten path so to speak, but well worth it. You can see the property from I77. Our 2nd flo...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
#3 of 8 in Hillsville
Best Western Bryson Inn
Best Western Bryson Inn
#2 of 8 in Mount Airy

Been to Country View Inn? Share your experiences!