“Unique and charming night away!”
Review of The White Horse

The White Horse
Ranked #1 of 2 Chilgrove B&B and Inns
Surrey, United Kingdom
“Unique and charming night away!”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at The White Horse on the 10th July for our wedding anniversary. It has been years since we have had the chance to go away alone without the kids so were really looking forward to a short break and we weren't let down! We were very lucky to have great weather during our stay and enjoyed having drinks out in the beautiful courtyard that evening and an absolutely gorgeous breakfast outside the following morning which my husband is still going on about! Dinner was also delicious and we got to enjoy some of the local dressed crab! We had a very nice room with an extremely comfortable bed with proper sumptuous down pillows and duvet. Most importantly though we were charmed by the warm welcome we received from Oli, and the attentive service from Steve and Niki. They did everything possible to make sure we were happy and well looked after. Cannot praise them enough! We look forward to our next trip!

EmilyJC123, Manager at The White Horse, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
We are so glad we could help you enjoy your break away - the team here really are an asset and they will be thrilled to get a mention. Hopefully the next time you stay we will have some other delicious specials on for you to try!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
London
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed one night on a warm July weekend. Very friendly welcome at reception. The room (the stag) was nice. Comfortable bed and the room had own private hot tub. The rooms all sit right on edge of a lawn with croquet set up. Unfortunately this meant that to have any privacy we had to draw the curtains. Without natural light, the room was quite dark.
Nice patio garden for coffees / drinks.
The dinner was good, but not excellent. Husband had lamb, which he ordered rare - it was on the well done side and fairly average. Food quite pricey.
Breakfast was good. Choice of cooked breakfast and cereals. Shame that it was served with Supermarket Kingsmill toast.

Room Tip: Stag room has own hot tub in private courtyard. A little noisy in the courtyard / lawn as hotel is...
EmilyJC123, Manager at The White Horse, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your comments relating to your stay in a Hot Tub room – they are an amazing luxury to be able to offer guests and I’m glad you enjoyed the private courtyard provided for your room. As the rooms are all around a lawned area I take on board your comments about not wanting to keep your blinds open, but do hope you made the most of the outside space over what was such a lovely weekend.

We would normally provide a 2 minute check when meals have been served and we would have been happy to ask chef to provide another piece of lamb, if this did not happen I can only apologise as we would have been happy to put this right for you at the time.

We currently make all the bread on site, apart from that used for breakfast time, but alternatives have already been discussed with chef to provide a different option in the morning.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Spent a night at the White Horse... Amazing food and service...and a very good wine list. Tried the Nyetimber British Champagne for the first time which was pretty good.

The rooms are a bit quirky and the lighting is quite dim...

Room Tip: We stayed in "Piegon", which had a bathtub but located a level up
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
EmilyJC123, Manager at The White Horse, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay and were made to feel welcomed. Some of the ground floor rooms can be quite dark, if you were to stay again please do ask about a first floor room as these have Velux windows and allow a little more light into the rooms. We are lucky to have a great relationship with the independent wine shop across the road and they advise on the 150 bin wine list we can provide. The Nyetimber is a very new relationship for us and the overall response to it have been very positive – we will pass your comments onto them as well the team here at The White Horse.
London
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My partner and I have just returned from a 2 night, mid week stay here and although we had a fantastic time I have mixed feelings regarding The White Horse. There is a lot of good to be said about it, however a few bothersome points that were annoying whilst there, not really expected as it is being rated as 5* accommodation.

Rooms:
On arrival around 2pm we were lucky enough to already have our room available, not expected as check in not until 3pm. We were taken to the room, we stayed in 'Teal' which was a fair size, and equipped with a lovely bathroom and huge copper bath. The bath did turn out to be problematic in the end, with the plug jamming twice, leaving us unable to empty the water and having to call management to come with a hammer. This also happened to another couple as well so clearly needs addressing! Beds were lovely, although a lighter weight sheet or duvet would have been appreciated at this time of year, being fortunate enough to stay during some lovely weather, we overheated at night! TV was of a very good quality and the tea and coffee facilities good. Now for the down side. On arrival to the room the windows had been left open, nice and cool but now full of flies! Going into the bathroom there were loads and subsequently we ended up having to try and get them all out. The room we stayed in was situated directly over the front door to the pub. View of car park didn't really bother us as we only used the room to sleep, however there is a very busy B road to the right and the front of the pub is a through road, so we got a lot of traffic noise. The general hubbub from the pub didn't bother me and can only be expected, however as mentioned on several previous reviews the walls to these rooms may as well be made from paper. Unfortunately our first night sleep here was awful. Still at 11pm there was crashing and banging going on, every time someone opened a door we heard it, I'm not sure if it is an office next to this room but it had people coming in and out of it from 9-midnight, you could hear the chairs across the floor, then just as I thought it couldn't get any noisier in came the neighbours. Even in the bathroom you could clearly hear the conversation, the running of a bath, flushing of a toilet, it was so clear we were able to decipher our neighbours by their voices at breakfast the next day!! Unfortunately we were unable to sleep through it and I was close to requesting a room change at 11pm! I have to admit we booked through a third party so paid a reduced rate (maybe why we got this room, although I'm sure management would disagree!) however still paid £179 and so therefore I would expect to be able to get a decent nights sleep. Fortunately, for whatever reasons, the noise level was right down the following night and we were able to enjoy a nights sleep more fitting for the middle of the countryside. A little bit of information left in the room would have been a nice touch. Details of what's near by, the wifi code, etc

Breakfast was lovely and plentiful. With both hot and cold provided. We did not eat in the restaurant so did not try the menu, however it is on the pricier side. We enjoyed drinks out in the patio/ garden, which on a sunny day was beautiful. Again drinks pricey. £9 for 2 larger shandies and best part of £3 for lime and soda, we are from London and so are used to higher drink prices but still, even surprised us a bit. Still the surroundings and weather made all ok. The location is brilliant. Only 1hr 40 out of London and a short distance away from Chichester, where we spent most of our time. Made coming and going very easy.

On the whole the stay was pleasant, however not perfect, and I can imagine if you had paid full price, £240 2nts, you could be disappointed. Would I return here, I'm not entirely sure. There is so much good but the noise was a real let down.

1 Thank Fifi123London
EmilyJC123, Manager at The White Horse, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences of The White Horse and I’m glad you enjoyed the location and breakfast – we are really lucky to have such great local suppliers. We have been working on resolutions to noise problems experienced by guests in certain rooms and I can only apologise that the first night was less than comfortable for you in these terms.

The copper baths are a wonderful asset and we are still looking at alternative ‘plugs’ for these tubs. As you will be aware the current plugs are built into the bath itself, so we need to make sure we have the correct solution before taking the current ones away. I’m glad that we were able to respond at the time, even if this did mean using a hammer.

We have introduced guest information packs in the rooms – these went in 4 weeks ago – I will investigate the room you stayed in to make sure this is still here and visible to guests staying with us.

We would love to be able to offer a Summer and Winter style duvet, so we could change with the seasons, however as with most establishments we do not have the space needed to store these additional duvets when not in use – however, these duvets really do come into their own during the winter months if you wanted to come back and visit.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Booked this for my husband's birthday - a weekend treat away whilst we were both on a course at a nearby art college.

First impressions - the room looked reasonably inviting, but on closer inspection, the toilet hadn't been cleaned, and there were pubic hairs in the BED, despite the sheets looking clean.

Things didn't improve in the bathroom - with the wire soap rack in the shower rusted beyond belief.

Worse was to come: it was a warm day (maybe 20 deg C outside) but the room was like an oven. Difficult to have the window open far as it was a ground floor room. Furthermore the duvet was a million TOG and would have been usable on Everest.

It however, got far worse when I tried to sleep: at about 1am the couple next to me decided to have a major domestic and aside hearing every word, literally EVERY word, I could also hear the furniture being moved about. Suspecting that they were trashing the room, I alarmed reception who responded in around 10 minutes.

The room had paper thin walls.

The noise ceased but was replaced an hour later with the toilet in the room above me being flushed what sounded like every 10 minutes, resulting in what sounded like the entire local sewer was being emptied over my head. Hopefully the frequent use of the facilities wasn't a response to the food, which perhaps fortunately I didn't have to endure.

Overall, I had the most uncomfortable, disturbed, and terrible night's sleep I can remember. I would have been better off sleeping in the car.

We cancelled the night my husband was to join me and instead drove home and stayed there.

I complained and the charge was reduced from £160 to £100, but overall I'm not happy. I may well take this back up with them because God help them if it turns out to be a staff room next to mine (my room was called Pigeon).

Please don't stay here.

Room Tip: Avoid Pigeon room - paper thin walls, stuffy and you'll hear the drains being emptied on the flo...
6 Thank GrumpyCow1970
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us at The White Horse and felt it necessary to cut short your celebratory weekend.

Having spoken with you on the morning you decided to leave, I am slightly saddened that you have chosen to air your opinions in this way. We offered a change of room for the second night and a reduction in the rate for the first night to try and make right the situation that you had experienced. As explained I was really shocked as we have not had any plumbing related complaints from guests staying in this room before.

I would however thank you again for bringing to my attention the need for a new toiletries rack in the shower, we have replaced that and will be carrying out a more thorough check of rooms to ensure no other small items like this need replacing.

If the cleanliness issues experienced had been raised at the time you found them we would have been able to react straight away to rectify them, but I can only apologise if this was the case.

All of our bedrooms have luxurious Feather and Black Goose down Pillows and Duvets, as advertised on our website and this tends to be one of the features that guests like about our rooms and I hope that with the beautiful weather we have had you were able to enjoy the sunshine on the patio area.

I’m glad that the team were able to assist with the noise you were experiencing from the adjoining room, unfortunately it is quite out of our hands if marital arguments occur. Thankfully there was no damage to the room, but thank you for bringing this situation to our attention. Just to clarify, there is no staff accommodation on site at The White Horse, so we can guarantee this was not the cause for the disturbance.

We are renowned locally for the quality of our food and the connotations that guests may have been ill due to eating with us, when you did not dine with us yourself is particularly upsetting.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The White Horse is well worth the detour from Chichester (15 minutes by taxi) for its exceptional kitchen. Ingredients are sourced locally, even on-site where appropriate. Our hanger steaks were exceptional, and our neighbouring diner - a self-proclaimed dover sole superfan - proclaimed his sole to be the best he had eaten. Top wine cellar too.

So, yes, the White Horse is worth the detour for its exceptional kitchen, but that would be a disservice to its wonderful rooms: individual well-appointed lodges at reasonable rates, with top notch bed linen, furnishings and a big shower. I hear that some rooms have copper baths, but we were very happy with the private hot tub in our courtyard.

Staff were really lovely and helpful, especially Ollie who spent a good while chatting to us and telling us about the local area.

Overall, the White Horse is a real treasure and a great place to escape to. No mobile reception - embrace it!

Final tip: take a trail walk around the South Downs for a real adventure, the White Horse staff would be happy to give you a trail map.

Room Tip: The "stag rooms" have a superb hot tub in private courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we are really glad you enjoyed your meal and stay with us. We are lucky to be set in such beautiful surroundings, taking time to experience this and embrace the peace and solitude we can offer is by far the best approach. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

South East England
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here for 1 night and was surprised by the beautiful setting. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are gorgeous and having a bath was a glorious experience especially if you're tall. We thoroughly enjoyed the food breakfast and dinner. The only downside was for us it's a little boozy. There is a lot of emphasis on alcohol and there seemed to be a lot a drinking taking place. It's just something we are not interested in so on that basis we would not be staying again. I'm sure for others though it would be perfect.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff made you feel very welcomed, this is something we pride ourselves on. We are lucky to have the wonderfully deep, copper bath tubs in some of our rooms, so guests can have a luxurious soak and I’m glad you got to take advantage of this. There is an extensive wine cellar to offer at The White Horse and at times some guests do like to enjoy this – maybe too much for your particular tastes – I can only hope this did not infringe too much on your stay with us.

Emily
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chilgrove
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Angmering
Amberley Castle
Amberley Castle
#1 of 3 in Amberley

Been to The White Horse? Share your experiences!