“Warm welcome and super breakfasts”
Review of The White Horse

and 1 more site!
The White Horse
Ranked #1 of 2 Chilgrove B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We spent two nights at this lovely spot and thoroughly enjoyed the warm hospitality. The restaurant food was excellent and staff pleasant and very efficient especially Emily, for whom nothing was too much trouble. Ten out of ten Emily.
Breakfasts were memorable and not rushed. Thoroughly enjoyed the bar atmosphere too and the locals, including a beautiful brown Labrador puppy called Drift.
The room we had was modern and (have to say) not really to our taste. Had everything there for guests (except shower caps) which, I could probably have got if I had asked. The decor was dark mushroom and browns which made the room gloomy. We also had an issue with the noise coming from upstairs. It was because of the bare boards up there but I spoke to Emily about it and she assured me that they are aware of the problem and intend to lay carpet which I'm sure would help. Also, we found winter weight duvets, a little too hot for our taste.
All in all though, a lovely place for a break.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
EmilyJC123, Manager at The White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2014

We are glad that you liked the atmosphere and pace of life at The White Horse, we work very hard at achieving this. Plans are still in place for the carpeting, we just have to wait until we are quiet enough to block the room off for the few days we will need to make this happen.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

My partner and I came across The White Horse through a deal on Secret Escapes. I attended uni down the road in Chichester, so it was the perfect opportunity to revisit my old stomping ground.

The hotel was easy to find, and is within a brief 15 minutes car journey of Chichester. Upon arrival we were welcomed by Emily, who was utterly delightful and made us feel right at home. Our room (one of the two 'Stag' rooms) was lovely - comfortably and stylishly appointed, with everything you'd expect to hand.

The main selling point for us (and the reason we booked the hotel) was the hot tub on the private patio. This was the absolute highlight of our stay. The water was a perfect 40 degrees, and came with 2 jet settings, including one which messaged your back. The patio is completely private, and is surround on all sides by a high wooden fence. You are also not overlooked by any windows. This means you can enjoy your stay in complete privacy!! We actually heard very little noise from the other guests (despite the hotel being full), and found it all very relaxing. There is some noise from the main road (especially in the morning), but we didn't find this too disruptive.

The South Downs in which the hotel is situated are breathtaking, and it's well worth taking a short stroll up the lane to get a fantastic view across the fields. The hotel itself is a very attractive building, and has been used since the 19th century as a resting place for weary travellers.

Breakfast was included in our stay, and I have to say this was far better than I expected. Rather than the usual run-of-the-mill hotel option of buffet breakfast, here you are given the option of either a full English breakfast, Eggs Benedict, Eggs Florentine, Eggs Royale, porridge, or smoked salmon with scrambled eggs. There's also a variety of cereals, toast and juices to which you can help yourself. As everything is cooked fresh to order there is a little wait with the breakfasts, but I think it's worth it, and there's always cereal and toast to keep you going until the main dish has arrived! I love the interior of the pub (in which breakfast was served), and found the rustic look hugely appealing.

My only criticisms (and they are minor) are these. Firstly there's a lot of noise coming from the extractor fan/cistern of the bathroom at night. Whilst this does seems to abate during the wee hours (between 1am and 5am) for those who are light sleepers I think it might be a little irritating. Personally I sleep with ear plugs habitually so it didn't bother me. And secondly, the mattress is very firm. I like a firm mattress, but even I found the bed a little hard. A good mattress topper would easily solve this though.

I would heartily recommend this hotel to those seeking a romantic getaway in the South Downs. We hope to visit again in the future.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a 'Stag' room - the private patio and hot tub are worth the extra cos...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for such a rounded and thorough account of your stay – it really does paint a picture for others looking to stay with us. We are looking at extra ways to make guests more comfortable and I appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I and my wife stayed 3 nights in this hidden gem for a wedding close by, and it was a pleasant suprise.Niki the manager is more then lovely extremly helpful she AND her staff made the whole experience to something special from guiding us for a long walk in the countryside to splendid dinner and wineselection I hope I can come back one day the only little flaw i think is the shower but i know this is not as important in Europe as it is in Brazil

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank waytogo01

Niki is glad she was able to make your stay as relaxing and enjoyable experience as she could – this is what we strive for! Please do come back and see us again if you are in the country.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed here for one night a couple of days ago and can highly recommend this hotel and restaurant and can't understand some of the negative reviews they have received.
Reception was very friendly and we instantly felt at home, our room was lovely, superb huge bed, good linen. Bathroom with roll top bath and good toiletries fluffy towels and bathrobes. The room had free WiFi, a large flat screen TV and fresh coffee and milk delivered early the next morning (beats UHT) We booked a table in the restaurant, again service here and in the bar very friendly with a good atmosphere. Food well cooked with a good choice and all pipping hot when it arrived. There is an extensive well chosen wine list too. Breakfast was excellent and nothing too much trouble even though we were later than we had said.
All in all highly recommended and will return soon.

1  Thank berty153

Thank you for sharing your experiences, we are really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that we managed to exceed your expectations. We do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My partner and I stayed for one night at the White Horse. From the moment we arrived, we were made very welcome by Emily. Our stay in the Stag Room with private courtyard complete & hot tub was wonderful. The bar is extensively stocked, including a 'Gin Menu' and an impressive wine list. The evening meal very tasty, freshly prepared and beautifully presented using many locally sourced ingredients. The breakfast was equally good. The staff were extremely attentive and helpful, but it has to be said, that Emily is a fine example of what an Assistant Manager should be.....professional, hospitable and an asset to the company. Give the White Horse a try, it's under new management who have clearly paid a lot of attention to detail with the design, décor and appointment of staff.
Good points: Wine list. Food variety and quality. Drinks. Nyetimber van opens at weekends. Hot tub. Emily.
Negative points: Rain-shower not powerful enough, but smaller shower good. Room required a better clean to eliminate dust and cobwebs etc.
Lovely warm friendly atmosphere. Something a bit different and luxurious. Reasonable value.
Best point. Emily
We look forward to visiting again!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JuMark0601
EmilyJC123, Manager at The White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We will look into the improvements that can be made in the rooms following on from the comments and maybe next time we will have some new Gin Cocktails for you to try. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I recently came here for a big birthday for my father in-law. He'd been shown round their lovely big party room when he booked and was really excited about it. However, when we turned up and started to head towards the room we were told that actually, we were in the main part of the restaurant. Rather than the nice big table in a light private room, they'd shoved some tables together in one of the darkest parts of the restaurant (not great on a lovely sunny day).

Clearly they'd been offered a lot more money for the room by a big party (they had a helecopter parked in the garden) and had bumped our booking. However, rather than having had the decency to let my father in law know and offer some kind of apology, they claimed that we'd never booked the room at all (despite us having an email to that effect). To add insult to injury, it took forever for our food to arrive (as clearly they were prioritising the big party) which made us feel completely like second rate guests.

The only positive I can add is that the waiting staff (excluding the manager) were lovely. However, there are few better ways to ruin someone's special birthday than to bump their booking for a better offer, effectively call them a liar and/or fantasist and then treat them like a second rate guest all day. My advice would be, if you do risk making a booking here, make sure you take evidence in writing!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Lucy N

We are really sorry that you were not happy with the overall experience you had with us here at The White Horse. Having started with the company only a short time ago, I was not aware that your father in law had been shown the private dining room with a view to holding your celebratory lunch there. On our bookings system we had the table in the snug allocated. As a courtesy I did make contact via phone and email two weeks prior to confirm the table reservation we had for you and to make sure details were also correct – including date and time of lunch, number of guests and to confirm we had you sat in the snug area of the bar. If I had been advised at this stage that we had your table booked incorrectly I would have done my best to rectify this situation for them. We are in the business of providing guests as warm a welcome as we can with great food and service to match, if we have not managed to achieve this I can only apologise. How our guests choose to arrive at the pub is not reflective of the service they receive or the order in which tables are served.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had visited this pub 3 months earlier, and having being proudly shown round the large dining room at the back decided to book it for a 60th birthday meal in July. However when we arrived we were told that we had booked 'the snug', which was very snug, dark and not what we were promised. The large dining room we had booked was taken by a party of a similar size who had pre ordered some bottles of champagne, essentially we had been downgraded by a party who were willing to pay more. After having the usual talk of initial denial and we had always booked the snug (despite having being shown round the large dining room) and then 'admin error' we were disappointed by the meal. A selection of 5 starters took over an hour to arrive, then there's as a delay in the main course too (they blamed the Yorkshire puddings-Yorkshire puds don't take long too cook). Overall very disappointed with the 'double booking' and the service, we won't be returning.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Joe P

We are really sorry that you were not happy with the overall experience you had with us here at The White Horse. Having started with the company only a short time ago, I was not aware that you had been shown the private dining room with a view to holding your celebratory lunch there. On our bookings system we had the table in the snug allocated. As a courtesy I did make contact via phone and email two weeks prior to your booking to confirm the table reservation we had for you and to make sure details were also correct – including date and time of lunch, number of guests and to confirm we had you sat in the snug area of the bar. If you had questioned the table allocation at this stage I would have done my best to rectify this situation for you. I hope you can see that this was a genuine case of misunderstanding on both parts, rather than a case of upgrading one guest over another as has been suggested.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chilgrove
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
#2 of 8 in Chichester
The Goodwood Hotel
The Goodwood Hotel
#4 of 8 in Chichester

Been to The White Horse? Share your experiences!