“Add this to your BUCKET LIST”

Barren Ridge Vineyards
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I am not a wine snob but I never thought much about Virginia Wines till about 3 Years ago. I visited Barren Ridge and was greeted with a very warm welcome and had a opportunity to try all of their wines. Wow this vineyard has done something right. The owner John Higgs was there and actually took the time to show us around the property. This place has such a great family history its hard to believe it used to be a apple orchard back when he was a kid. I enjoyed a glass of Meritage and took in the incredible sunset on the patio.Since that day I have been to numerous events at the vineyard and absolutely love their Third Fridays with live entertainment. The owners are normally there talking with their guests and never seem to be bothered by all the attention. This is a great place for weddings or to just sit back and relax and enjoy the wonderful scenery. Thank you

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Stopped by here on a family trip and loved it. The setting is idyllic amongst the rolling pastures of the Shenandoah Valley. It is an old barn that has been renovated into a rustic vineyard with a fireplace. The wine tasting surprised us with the number of wines that we loved. The wine tasting server was great; engaging but not obnoxious. Don't let the back roads keep you from coming here.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

It was a beautiful location. The race began well and seemed to not have a problem and afterwards there was wine.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

It is not often that a bride comes away from their wedding day without a single complaint -- I DID!

From the first conversation with the owner of Barren Ridge Vineyard to the days communication following the event, they provided us with great service. The owners are very passionate about doing weddings, the first wedding held at the vineyard was their daughters. So they know what it means to have a special day. We did have a transition when their event planner departed, however they worked with us through details making our day perfect.

Our guests of 150, adults and children of all ages LOVED the vineyard. Due to last minute showers our wedding was moved indoors. The vineyard staff helped our event team to make last minute changes - when I say last minute I mean I was in the car in the parking lot being told not to come inside.

The sky cleared during the ceremony and all of our guests were able to walk the grounds and enjoy the patio & tasting room for cocktails. We then returned upstairs for dinner catered by Fardowners Restaurant. We had a live band Mason Porter and a DJ Andy Wilfong. The room was a terrific space for dancing and hanging out with family & friends.

For a small service fee the vineyard staff helped with break down the next day and helped us loading vehicles with left over items. They have stayed in touch with us over a few items to pick up. We are members of their fantastic Crush Club and are looking forward to this quarters delivery!

Thank you Shelby & Cameron!

Reviewed 26 September 2013

My (now) husband and I first visited Barren Ridge after a viticulture class outside Charlottesville. We have toured many wineries (VA, CA, WA, etc.) and were immediately impressed. The wines were fantastic, the tasting room was well appointed and cozy, the staff was knowledgeable and friendly. We ended up meeting the owners and hearing firsthand the lovely story of the Higgs' return to John's family property and its conversion from orchard to vineyard. We decided to hold our July 2013 wedding at Barren Ridge, and the owners and staff could not have been more helpful or accommodating. The Audrey Blackford Room (with its vaulted ceiling, stone fireplace and breathtaking views) was the perfect venue for our reception. We are grateful to the owners and staff for their contributions to our very special day. Their tending of the photogenic verdant vineyards; making great wines; maintaining such elegant and high quality facilities; opening them up for private rental, and working with us to plan and execute our wedding made our event ideal. We look forward to returning frequently to enjoy great wine in excellent company and beautiful surroundings.