“Nasty”
Review of Tuggles Gap Motel

Tuggles Gap Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Floyd
Tuggles Gap Motel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Floyd
Marco Island, Florida
“Nasty”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We took a motorcycle trip from Florida to Boston this was one of our stops along the way. I have to say I booked this not expecting much. We just needed a bed to lay our heads for the night. We got much more than we bargained for. The room was infested with all kinds of bugs and creepy crawlies. We were awake most of the night just wondering what was crawling on us. The bathroom was nasty. Even after riding all day and needing a shower we both passed. The shower was way to gross to even consider getting into. I highly recommend you drive a few more miles and find another place. The restaurant was no great shakes. It was just food.. Nothing to rave about. Nice people here but they are in over their heads.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kathy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Washington, DC
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I had stayed at the Tuggles Gap Inn once before in the September, 2005. My friend, Nell, missunderstood me and she made reservations there to my horror.

When we got to Floyd I told her we had better cancel the rooms. So we were able to get a one night's reservation at the Floyd Hotel (I highly recommend it). We needed a second night but they were full up Saturday. So we were forced to stay at the Tuggles Gap or drive 29 miles to Christiansburg. We kept our reservation. And went there on Friday (afternoon) and signed in and received more blankets.

Saturday night there was a surprise, blinding snow storm, but nevertheless we made it to the Tuggles gap Inn. [The weather people totally missed this one!!] Many cars were abandoned along the tortous, winding mountain road. Some went into the ditch falling on their sides. It was the scariest 8 mile drive in my life. Fortunately, we had a Volvo stationwagon which is great in the snow on steep hillsides.

Saturday night after a great meal at Mickey "G"s (Italian cuisine) in Floyd, we got to the Inn about 7:45 PM. No one was there in the office, restaurant or anywhere. On the door to the office there were 2 numbers to call "just in case!"

Travelers, Be Aware! Cell phones don't work on the mountain or anywhere around Floyd. You have to buy a "Citizen's Company" phone card ($10 for 50 minutes) which requires a land line to call out of the area or anywhere in the area!!! We had one we purchased at the Floyd Hotel. - By the way the beautiful Floyd Hotel costs only a few dollars more.

The Tuggles Gap Inn had no telephones in the rooms and no TV remotes to check the weather situation. The baseboard electric heaters barely put out heat and we nearly froze during the night. [This was better, however, than trying to sleep in an abandoned vehicle or hike through the snow to a farm house to use a telephone.] The baseboard heaters, also, present a fire hazard, as they are very old and do not have safety shield (grills) tp protect from shock or fire. The heat controls are on the wall.

Since there was no night clerk on duty or manager to ask for assistance, we were stuck on the snow covered mountain without food, adequate warmth and any communication with the outside world. Both, Nell and I are 80 years old and a health emergency might have been
very serious.

Had snow plows not cleared the roads in the morning, I do not know what we would have done. I was prepared in the morning to somehow get into the office and get to a phone and some food.

If you love adventure I highly recommend the Tuggles Gap Inn. The Greenbrier Hotel at White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia may be expensive, but at least you can be a survivor there! What is your life worth?

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank TwainMark79
floyd
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I stayed in this quaint motel for a weekend getaway to see the Blue Ridge Mountains in the fall. This is a great place to stay and enjoy the mountain scenery. The motel rooms are newly rennovated and reflect a homey atmosphere. Although there was no air conditioning, the cool mountain air flowing through the room was most pleasant. The beds are comfortable and the room was clean! The restaurant that is right next door has homemade food with a south western flavor. Everything I ate was delicious, but most outstanding was the Tuggles Gap Pie. Yum!! The service for both motel and restaurant is friendly and accomodating. They katered to my every need, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would highly recommend this establishment.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank lindalu2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Group of adult motorcycle riding friends from Va/N.C wanted to get together for a few days of riding the parkway and other area roads.We reserved all of the twelve rooms at this motel. What a deal !! Its not a five star resort but neither are the prices. Rooms were ready when we arrived,We parked our bikes at our doors,and made ourselves at home..Great food at the resturant fifty feet away.Quiet, cool nights made for great sleeping.No TVs...soooo who needs em??? Friendy staff enjoyed us as much as we enjoyed them.. I feel we found a great place to "step back in time" and enjoy the simple things in life. If you want chandliers , carpet, and chocolates on your pillow go somewhere else..If you want solitude, simplicity, and service then book your next get-a-way at Tuggles Gap Motel and Resturant

• Stayed September 2010
5 Thank WilliamsburgBob
East Bend
Reviewed 5 September 2010

this may not be a four star hotel,but what you will get is friendly service,and a quiet place to stay.They don't have tv sets but who cares .we had twenty in our group when we stayed there and we thorughly enjoyed the place ,when you're on vacation it;s a time to relax and forget about schedules .If you're looking for a five star hotel stay in the city please .If you're looking for a little nostalgia and some good ol country folk with some good cooking fifty feet away then Tuggles Gap restaraunt and motel is for you .....Slow down and relax for a change.

• Stayed August 2010
3 Thank DJonesEastBend
philadelphia
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Stay away from this place. We had read a positive review which described this place as fun and funky so we booked it sight unseen. This place is filthy and run down. There were large spiders in the bathroom. The bed spread had holes in it. The bed itself is like sleeping on concrete. No a/c - not even a fan. The window screens were in poor shape. No tv just a transistor radio. You'd be better off camping. At least campground bathrooms are cleaner than this place!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank uk_philly
VIRGINIA
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I made reservations in March on their machine for July 2 3 2010. I called in April when they opened for the season and confirmed my reservations with a young lady. On June 28 I called them to check on my reservations, and was told they were fine. On June 29 I got home from work to find a message to call them, I called back and was told they were just confriming my reservations. On June 30 I got home to find yet another message to call them regarding my reservations. On that day I spoke with Amber 3 different times, because my husband was having trouble with his work schedule. On July 2 2010 I got home from work to find a message on my machine telling me not to come they had not heard from me and did not have a room available for me. When I called Ms Cheri Baker back she insinuated that I was lying that I had never called them, and told me to stop being rude. She had rebooked my room and there was nothing she could do because I had failed to confrim my reservations. Unbeknownst to Ms. Baker on July 2 she called 2 personal friends of mine and offered them rooms because their names were on her cancelation list. Good luck getting a room :(

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank TRISH058
Also consider these accommodations in or near Floyd
Oak Haven Lodge
Uptown Suites of Stuart
Mountain Rose Inn
Mountain Rose Inn
#1 of 1 in Woolwine

Been to Tuggles Gap Motel? Share your experiences!