“Best spring vacation”
Review of Fort Valley Ranch

Fort Valley Ranch
More attraction details
Owner description: Mountain horseback trail riding. Enjoy a trail ride on one of our gentle mountain horses. Located in the Shenandoah Mountains near Luray Va. Ranch packages, Bunkhouse Cabins and Camping available. No experience necessary. Children must be at least 8 years old and our horses cannot safely carry more than 250 lbs. Reservations are strongly suggested. Open year round,every day.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

A friend and I booked a 5 night camping trip to Ft. Valley Ranch. Took our own horses. A map, and gps, and explored the mountain trails. What an awesome area! The hospitality was the best! Wonderful paddock for our horses, and icecream for us! Ft. Valley Ranch is managed by some of the nicest people on earth! I will be returning.

1  Thank Mary M

Reviewed 7 September 2013

We booked at the last moment for an afternoon trail ride at Fort Valley, and it proved to be a highlight of our holiday. Josh, our guide, was really encouraging to the three of us, including our 9 year old son who had never ridden before. The paperwork was all safety focused and riding helmets were available without additional charge. The lady who welcomed us was very pleasant, and gave us some easy to follow instructions which were pitched just right for novices.
The trail is beautiful, meandering through the woods, and Josh gave us a whole range of interesting information on what we were seeing, without overloading us with too much information. He also kept a close eye on our son, who was quite nervous to start with, and took time to chat with him and reassure him as we continued the trail. This was a great introduction to trail riding for our son, and we both loved it as well. Our horses (Cricket, Jessie and Blaze) were steady and well behaved, and the whole experience was just lovely.
Our little boy talked about how great it was for our whole car journey back to Washington!

3  Thank Rachel027
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Our group of 17 took the 1-hour trail ride. Very nice, cool forest trail. Guides were knowledgeable and attentive. Be sure to arrive 1/2 hour in advance to complete paperwork and find a helmet.

3  Thank Lenzi67
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We looked around the Luray area and decide to try Fort Valley Stables because of the mountain trails through the George Washington Forest. We chose the hour and a half ride. They asked us to be about 30 minutes early, but we probably got there about 50 minutes early. The check-in process seemed smooth, we picked our helmets, and the other group of three that were riding with us were already there. Then we waited a while. The horses were already tacked up, so we weren't quite sure what we were waiting for, but right at noon, then they started putting us on horses. In our group, we had two experienced riders, but they said it didn't matter on horse selection. I waited to mount last so I could be in the back just in case. I have led and participated in many trail rides in my riding days, so it was a good position to be in to monitor the group in case they needed help. So at 12:30, everyone was loaded, and we actually started the ride. The horse I rode was a nice horse, he listened to me and did a good job on the trail. The newbies had some trouble in the line in front of us, and the guide gave some instruction as he saw things happening, but he didn't see the issues arising all the time. Either my daughter or I tried to offer advice, which helped the overall trail ride flow smoother. We headed back to the barn after an hour of riding, so we felt a little deceived on the hour and a half ride. There was no mention that a half hour was to watch people mount their horses and learn how to steer their horse. Since we all got there so early, there was plenty of time to get everyone mounted before the ride. The horses and location seemed nice, but we didn't get what we paid for as far as the length of ride and our guide was just okay. I didn't mind pitching in and helping out, but I didn't even get as much as a thank you. Oh well, next time we'll try a different place.

2  Thank hitl
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I did not "stay" at this property so I cannot comment on accommodation. However I did ride here. I booked a half day ride for me and two other girls. I have decades of horse experience and my two friends have ridden before but have no training at all. I followed the directions from the website and found the place easily. The got us set up with our horses and we departed. I thought the horses were well conditioned to their terrain and that their tack was clean and maintained. We rode up to a gorgeous ridge and fed the horses their carrots. They also provided us with water, some crackers, and a cheese stick. Cool and appreciated. It was very cold and icy that day so the snack helped energize us for the ride back. Our guide was funny, had good stories, and was very enjoyable. A real cowboy type, we liked him. The horses were shod nicely and it was amazing how they scrambled over the rocks and snow. Very very cool. My friends had a lovely time as well. The horses were angels for them too. I absolutely will bring myself and my friends back again. I can see how some folks would maybe view this ride as slightly intimidating if you are not used to riding horses in truly natural terrain however I had faith in the horses and they got us through. See ya'll next year!

4  Thank AmericanExplorer8500