Gooney Creek Campground
US$72
US$127
US$65
US$67
Royal Inn Motel(Front Royal)
US$61
US$88
Priceline
Front Royal Motel(Front Royal)(Great Value!)
US$61
US$55
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 April 2012

It's been 2 years but I want to go back. The woman who runs the place is a gem. She told me stories and we had a great time talking. The campground is very nice, plenty of space on each site. fishing on grounds was awesome too. Bathrooms clean and showers hot. What more can you ask for while tent camping?

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank shyfunnygal
Reviewed 20 June 2011

The best way to put this is ...if you're looking for a commercialized, camper/trailer-preferred campground, this is NOT going to be it. This campground is best suited for tent camping and is not suited for people looking for a commercially run site.

While the owner of this campground DOES come across as "eccentric," I found her to be a very nice lady. Sit and talk to her a while...hear her stories. She's got a lot of them. Yes, the area around her home is definitely cluttered, but the campsites and grounds themselves are beautiful. Sites 18-22 are the best ones to get as they are far away from the road and a bit more secluded. Campsite 22 provides the most privacy. If you take campsite 20 or 21, you will need to bring a canopy for shade. Sites 18 and 19 are well-shaded. The included photo(s) are of campsite 21, where we stayed.

I was actually quite impressed that an 80-something year old lady could maintain this place as she has. To the best of my knowledge, she maintains the grounds BY HERSELF, which astounds me because the whole grounds flood badly at least once a year. She'll tell you of times when the entire camp store was under water! Yet it is still up and running.

The photos on the website do not do this place justice. The rock formations and mosses are beautiful. The river itself is gorgeous...except for after it rains when it is rushing madly by! Each tent site is equipped with a firepit (rocks formed into a pit), a trashcan, and a picnic table. There are bathrooms with flush toilets and showers. It's not luxary, but it's better than SOME places I've seen! Wood is expensive ($10 per "bunch" and a bunch is not really defined), so I recommend bringing your own wood if possible.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank lkline1
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Our annual memorial day camping trip has taken us to many campgrounds and I'd have to say that this one is my favorite by far. While some of the campsites are a little small, as other reviewers have mentioned, if you book in advance, you'll be able to get a great site. We fit 4 tents and three cars on ours. The site was right on the Gooney Creek and a short walk upstream leads to a beautiful waterfall and swimming hole that you can play in. We spent the majority of the day playing around in the creek and then floating on back down to our site. While I expected there to be ton of bugs because of the water, there weren't that many. It wasn't anything a little bug spray couldn't fix.
Though the site isn't as tight as a KOA, it has clean, hot showers, flush toilets, ice and firewood. The woman who runs it is a no nonsense kind of lady, but she is really nice and has lots of great information about the area. The "salvage yard overflow" mentioned in another review is actually toys that Gloria (the proprietor) has collected for children to play with and some odds and ends that other campers have left behind.
The only think that I didn't like was that there was a noisy bridge which can be heard from the site. However after a while it just becomes distant white noise and the traffic stops running over the bridge almost completely at night.
Overall, my friends and I had a fantastic time at this quaint little campground on the creek and we're looking forward to booking again for next year!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
7  Thank Julie1222
Reviewed 28 May 2008

After looking forward to camping during Memorial Day weekend, we selected Gooney Creek based on its location and wonderful photos on its website. However, after arriving at the campground, we were immediately disappointed. Rather than a campground, this place amounts to little more than the owner's backyard. While we expected the Memorial Day crowd, the sites were far too small, barely allowing for a vehicle and tent. The site we reserved was on a creek. The sound of the flowing water was relaxing at night, but our proximity to a major roadway made even talking difficult, so we didn't get to hear the creek during the daytime hours. To make matters worse, the owners maintained a lot of junk and trash on the property, an obvious spill over from the salvage yard they operate across the street. Overall, I'd recommend the campground as a place to get a good deal on used tires or auto parts, but not as an enjoyable way to spend a weekend. We ended up leaving after one night, despite having a 3-night reservation.

10  Thank rjs14331